Steering wheel recover??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The leather on my steering wheel is starting to peel off. Is it possible to recover the steering wheel? Has anyone done it or is it cheaper to get a new steering wheel?

Good question...I need to do something with mine too. My wedding band has worn the top area down to where it is pretty rough. I know that MAF sells leather skins that you have to fit and thread yourself but I have not asked anyone about them yet. I wonder if they work well and if they look good enough to go through the trouble of recovering, or should I just hold out until I decide to replace the whole steering wheel.

It is definitely NOT cheaper to replace the steering wheel.

93-4 leather wheel, black:45100-60181-C0 list $716.21

95-7 leather wheel, grey: 45100-60230-B0 list $831.01
95-7 leather wheel, tan: 45100-60230-e0 list $831.01

And no, they do not include the horn pad (93-4) or air bag (95-7)

Can I order one for you? :eek:

Ouch, that's a bit expensive and would rather put the $ towards some Slee Sliders. That is once Christo gets more production in.

Just get one of those cool rubber covers from Auto-Zone.

You know...the ones with the fast and the furious logos!

hehehe

LOL - it's been a contest in my beater to see which one will be eliminated first, the steering wheel cover or the cheap half chiseled woodgrainplasitccrap.

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=4885;start=msg37215#msg37215 date=1062532003]
Hey Dan,

Living in NM, do you keep the little chain steering wheels in stock?

;)

-H-
[/quote]

Handcuffs too........ ::)

So what about the leather skins which have to be hand stitched?

Thats cool. I like the idea but how would I get to work in the mean time? I have used a pair of VISE GRIPS before on a VW, but I would not want to try it with my cruiser. JK
How long do they take I wonder and what could I put on as temp replacement until mine is finished? Also, is it a big deal removing the stock wheel...do I need a puller... and What about the air bag in the stock wheel, I am afraid of accidentally deploying it while removing the wheel?

This is a must do:

Before attempting any repair or service that requires breaking into the SRS (airbag) system, throughly study the FSM to confirm that you are using the correct procedures to insure against damage to the system or personal injury.

I know someone with a 96 they are about to part out.

PM me and I will pass on your info to him.

I used a 'WheelSkins' cover....good quality leather, not expensive to replace when (not if) it wears out, easy to stitch up.

Or knock the #6 out of your free hand :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom