steering shock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 4 fj60. It has a wornout after-market steering shock that is rubbing a hole in my ft diff cover. Do I need it? Are these trucks subject to the "death wobble" or should I remove it?

Post a photo if you can. The stock location for the steering stabilizer is nowhere near the differential cover.

No photo attached to your post.
PS Sam Hughes is a wonderful place. 10 years from now I’m moving there. Ive been building my rig specifically for retirement in Tucson and the H55 is so I can go up Mt Lemmon faster than a Volkswagen bus!

Haha, SH is nice, moved there first in summer '77 after graduation from Amphi! A cabin on MT Lemmon must be nice...so close. Mine is in Lakeside and on Rainbow Lake, but its 3.5 hours drive

The OEM Toyota part is still available or get an aftermarket such as OME or Tough Dog. I would replace your worn one with a new and make sure it's mounted properly. There should not be any rubbing.

OEM Steering Damper 45700-69135

Went to school at UofA, Sam Hughes is a great neighborhood and place to call home.

sounds like this one has been added by a PO
original mounting location would not contact the diff, go back to the original location with either new or aftermarket.

I’ve seen aftermarket ones that supplement the factory one and the brackets looked really bad.

I can vouch for the OME steering damper:

1986-toyota-fj60-land-cruiser-5-speed-transmission-well-maintained-11.jpg

More stock setup just for reference which maybe illustrates how it wouldn't knock into the axle housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom