Steering box that doesn't leak??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where can I get s steering box for an FJ 60 that won't leak within 3-6 months? I am on my fourth one in a year and I have had ti with the leaky boxes. Is it the 33-10.5s that are causing it?

You should not have this problem. Where are you getting your boxes? I've run 33s for years on the original box (over 330K miles) with no leaks yet. Are you sure it's the box that is leaking or could the power steering hose or pump be leaking onto the box?

I'm going to got through it in the daylight tomorrow, but I had a LC mechanic here in town swap it for me and I get about 3-6 months out of each box. The pump is new as are the hoses but that doesn't mean they are tight. All four boxes have been rebuilt by his "guy." The irony is that the original box lasted 24 years and the rebuilts...

I have 3 years on my rebuilt steering box.. no leaks

Sounds like your guy is not the greatest..

gotta love a good thief, i mean mechanic!!!

Four rebuilt boxes that leak after 6 months and you're still using this mechanic? Perhaps you're just too nice a guy.

Yup -- Send the next one to westtexasoffroad.com for a rebuild, then have that one installed. Lots of people on here have used them and I've yet to hear a bad word.

Yup -- Send the next one to westtexasoffroad.com for a rebuild, then have that one installed. Lots of people on here have used them and I've yet to hear a bad word.

I am going to send them the box off of m FJ40 but my 60 is my DD so i need a quick turn around. Thanks for the suggestions guys and BTW Spikestrip do you have a Landcruiser mechanic you trust in the area I'm running out of them.

I'm in the SFV - and there's a couple of good ones: K & H imports in Canoga Park.

Mark Algazy of Marksoffroad.net (see my sig), in Burbank.

There's always TLC Van Nuys and there's another guy in Canoga that I forget right now, but I can get his name if you need it.

I bought a rebuild kit & did mine...sort of...I just used the shaft seals that come in the kit & replaced them on the truck...(also my daily driver) took about an hour...kinda tricky doing the input from the steering shaft, just make sure nothing in the box moves, also replaced the bearings while I was at it...Been leak free ever since
I run 35x12.5 on mine. I don't think it's the tires causing it.

Tony, did you use an OEM kit, or ... ? If aftrmkt, where'd you get it?

I'm in the SFV - and there's a couple of good ones: K & H imports in Canoga Park.

Mark Algazy of Marksoffroad.net (see my sig), in Burbank.

There's always TLC Van Nuys and there's another guy in Canoga that I forget right now, but I can get his name if you need it.

I won't name names but my steering box is from one of those shops.

I won't name names but my steering box is from one of those shops.

Well, I really do all my own work, I've only had K&H do my A/C and a couple of little things they had the SSTs for, and Richard was great.

I buy a lot of parts from Mark and I've had my carb rebuilt by him, and it runs great, I'd trust him with anything cruiser related.

TLC, well, I buy a lot of parts there, too, but I've never had any work done, mainly 'cuz of their reputation for being expensive.

PM me where you had the box done... ( I wanna know :D)

I came out of work friday night and steering box number 4 had spilled it's life blood all over the parking lot. So of course when I dropped it off at the shop they claim it was low but holding fluid, then started to yell at me. My response, "You think you're upset, you just have to change it! I get to take all morning to get it up there and then ride my bike home to get another car to pick up my daughter." Let's hope box number five is lucky or...

but they didn't offer an already tapped 60 series PS box . ?

Or seem to realize that there are two different mounting patterns, and that the later works with 62's and 80's...

so who is the shop? nothing wrong with naming them. people should know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom