Steel Wheel Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are these compatible with disk brakes? How do I tell? Does the “15” mean 15 inches and therefore no bueno for disks?

The older 15” wheels have big rivets inside the wheel that hold the centers to the ring. That hits the calipers.
The 76+ are welded and clear.

B01B68CC-CA37-4686-BCCF-0AFE3222C2F6.jpeg

Look at the back of each wheel. If the centers are welded to the barrels, they are FI disc brakes. If the centers are riveted to the barrels, they are for drum brakes.

Not sure if I discussed this, but don’t trust the black paint that is on the OEM Toyota wheels.
If you want to keep them black you need to paint or powder them. They will fade fast.

Not sure if I discussed this, but don’t trust the black paint that is on the OEM Toyota wheels.
If you want to keep them black you need to paint or powder them. They will fade fast.

I sprayed the outside of my wheels gray, but left the black inside alone. I don't care if they fade, but have you ever had the black chip or start rusting prematurely?

I sprayed the outside of my wheels gray, but left the black inside alone. I don't care if they fade, but have you ever had the black chip or start rusting prematurely?

No. It’s just not a UV resistant paint. No issues with rust or chips

Help educate me!
Checking out the 16" steelies at Summit Racing. The 7" wide 16's are $144 each - Summit 16x7
The 8" wide 16's are $128 each - Summit 16x8
Is there a downside to the 8" wide wheels?

Do the 8” wide have 4” backspacing? If so, not much difference. What tires do you want to run?
The 8" wide do have 4" backspacing. Trying to figure which tires - more sand here than mud.

that should be 74+ are welded... the newer rims came out before the discs did

That’s good to know. I need to have a peek at my early 74 (10/73) wheels and see

@wngrog I would be interested to know what yours are stamped and if they are welded... my 9/74' stamped rims are welded .... and I think i remember seeing a 1/74'... it was started (looking at the part numbers) 9/73'

I had not seen any go back further than 1/74 ... people are just not forthcoming with date codes from rims lol

@wngrog I would be interested to know what yours are stamped and if they are welded... my 9/74' stamped rims are welded .... and I think i remember seeing a 1/74'... it was started (looking at the part numbers) 9/73'

I had not seen any go back further than 1/74 ... people are just not forthcoming with date codes from rims lol

You rule. These wheels went from give-aways to keepers! Welded.

it will be something like this... i do not have a picture of mine.... my spare rim is in storage that is the 74' and my others are split rims...

the steel rims are on the inside bead area.... this is a later rim and its on the inside drop area.... the date you can see is 7/82'

split rims have the date stamp on the ring

60 series rim.jpg

So is there any resale value for my original 15 riveted wheels off my 1969 FJ55? They have the hub cap clips and are white with some good rust patina! I bought cheapo wheels because I wanted BFG K02 33x10.5 on it. The original steelies are sitting for in my garage. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Thanks for starting it!

7C1AA871-32DB-482D-9221-B20EB15C1DBE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom