Steel Wheel Tech

wngrog

SILVER Star

Are these compatible with disk brakes? How do I tell? Does the “15” mean 15 inches and therefore no bueno for disks?
The older 15” wheels have big rivets inside the wheel that hold the centers to the ring. That hits the calipers.
The 76+ are welded and clear.

B01B68CC-CA37-4686-BCCF-0AFE3222C2F6.jpeg

G-Cat

SILVER Star

Look at the back of each wheel. If the centers are welded to the barrels, they are FI disc brakes. If the centers are riveted to the barrels, they are for drum brakes.

wngrog

SILVER Star

Not sure if I discussed this, but don’t trust the black paint that is on the OEM Toyota wheels.
If you want to keep them black you need to paint or powder them. They will fade fast.

Not sure if I discussed this, but don’t trust the black paint that is on the OEM Toyota wheels.
If you want to keep them black you need to paint or powder them. They will fade fast.
I sprayed the outside of my wheels gray, but left the black inside alone. I don't care if they fade, but have you ever had the black chip or start rusting prematurely?

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
SILVER Star

@wngrog I would be interested to know what yours are stamped and if they are welded... my 9/74' stamped rims are welded .... and I think i remember seeing a 1/74'... it was started (looking at the part numbers) 9/73'

I had not seen any go back further than 1/74 ... people are just not forthcoming with date codes from rims lol

wngrog

SILVER Star

Again, I just assumed the welded rims came with disc brakes.

I have a note to look tonight. The 10/73 is an F1.5 with a 3 speed so it’s a goofball

wngrog

SILVER Star

@wngrog I would be interested to know what yours are stamped and if they are welded... my 9/74' stamped rims are welded .... and I think i remember seeing a 1/74'... it was started (looking at the part numbers) 9/73'

I had not seen any go back further than 1/74 ... people are just not forthcoming with date codes from rims lol
You rule. These wheels went from give-aways to keepers! Welded.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
SILVER Star

it will be something like this... i do not have a picture of mine.... my spare rim is in storage that is the 74' and my others are split rims...

the steel rims are on the inside bead area.... this is a later rim and its on the inside drop area.... the date you can see is 7/82'

split rims have the date stamp on the ring

60 series rim.jpg

Top Bottom