Steel Wheel Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the backspace on the Tacoma wheels?

I can look it up later because I can’t remember exactly but close to 5.5” it seems with the ruler. (For 42601-AD030)

5819A020-6DCB-408E-9DF5-16C63D7A4D4A.jpeg

493999B4-E6D0-4103-BD07-CC164DFBBC32.jpeg
I have a new, in-the-box, 16" Tacoma steel wheel I don't need. Likely expensive to ship, but I'd take $40 plus the ride form 31808 is someone wants it.

The center bore wouldn't fit over the front hubs of my 1989 4Runner.

Last edited:
Any tips on places to look online for some of these tundra +15 wheels? I have found a few wreckers that have them, nobody that is willing to pallet 12 up and send them to australia though!

Hi guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheels from stockwheels.com and have them freighted to australia. I just wanted to check if anybody has any good/bad things to say about the company? They look like they have extensive stock of wheels etc so imagine people have probably used them. Thanks.

Hi guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheels from stockwheels.com and have them freighted to australia. I just wanted to check if anybody has any good/bad things to say about the company? They look like they have extensive stock of wheels etc so imagine people have probably used them. Thanks.

Sorry. No experience with.

View attachment 2365341I have a new, in-the-box, 16" Tacoma steel wheel I don't need. Likely expensive to ship, but I'd take $40 plus the ride form 31808 is someone wants it.

The center bore wouldn't fit over the front hubs of my 1989 4Runner.
Do you know what the toyota part number is for these?

edit: nevermind looks like center bore is too small for 60 series

Help educate me!
Checking out the 16" steelies at Summit Racing. The 7" wide 16's are $144 each - Summit 16x7
The 8" wide 16's are $128 each - Summit 16x8
Is there a downside to the 8" wide wheels?

Do the 8” wide have 4” backspacing? If so, not much difference. What tires do you want to run?

They have the same 4" backspacing. The 7" width has 0mm offset, the 8" width has -12mm offset.
How about 255/85/16 Yoko G003s on a 60. Use the 7" or 8" wheel?

They have the same 4" backspacing. The 7" width has 0mm offset, the 8" width has -12mm offset.
How about 255/85/16 Yoko G003s on a 60. Use the 7" or 8" wheel?

7”

This is a solid thread and I have a few things to chip in... mainly steel wheel tech with common stuff from the Middle East.

Every once in a great while you come across a set of 16" OEM split steel wheels that actually have the hub cap clips. They are hard to find, we've only managed to find 4. The centers are riveted, not welded. But as they are 16" they fit over disc brakes.

MUD16splitwcaps.jpg

There are commonly available OEM steel wheel takeoffs in the Middle East in the 16" and 17" variety. The 16" wheels generally come off the Hiluxes... and the 17" wheels come off of Prados (what I've been told).

I picked up a set of takeoff 17x6.5 OEM steelies to test on my 40. This was while I was back in Abu Dhabi. I wanted to source Toyota steelies that I could eventually replace my splits with given how difficult it can be to get tire shops here to play with the splits.

Here is one tested out with a 245/75 R17 (roughly 31.5" x 9.6"). No spacers.

MUD17on40front.jpg

MUD17frontclear.jpg

MUD17frontprofile.jpg

MUD17on40rear.jpg

MUD17rearclear.jpg

MUD17rearprofile.jpg

On the rear there's a very minor amount of protruding...
MUD17stickout.jpg

So I had a set of five painted up white to match my roof and bezel... saving them for new tires once I get a lift installed.
MUD17repainted.jpg

NOTE: While I appreciate the shops painted-to-match pewter hubcaps I'll be taking a pass on those.

Here's another set of 17x6.5 OEM steelies installed on my Troopy with 255/75 R17 KM2's (roughly 32" x 10"). I ended up painting these wheels Porsche Graphite when I refurbished the exterior.

MUD17onTroopy.jpg

Again, no spacer required. I have very mild rub on my interior fender apron seal when I turn hard left only.

These wheels were just ridiculously cheap as 0-km take-offs in the parts yards over there. Like less than $150 for a set five cheap.

Hip hip hooray I finally got my steelies mounted! A flat in Death Valley was good fuel for the fire in convincing my financial manager (wife) to go ahead with the new shoes. This was the last trip for them anyways. Went with another set of Coopers, ST Maxx this time.

Amazing how an 80 can make 33s look small...

IMG-0639.JPG
IMG-0638.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom