Steel Wheel Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@1911 and @rkymtnflyfisher Y'all run black steelies right? Did you do any painting or clear coat when you got them or just mount your tires as-is? Any surface rust or problems with the black factory primer/paint over time?

The wheels above are for those vehicles that you never plan to run hubcaps with. You can certainly add hubcap clips to them but then you really get into the weeds.

If you want a superb set of ready-to-use 16”
Wheels that balance out excellent and have some of the best powdercoating I’ve seen, get these wheels

I have two sets. One on my 45 with 750-16” BFGs
View attachment 1968884
One set on my FJ40 with 235/85-16 Yokahama MTs

View attachment 1968885

These I wanted to keep black as many E-68 trucks had black steelies

I would have gotten another set but I wanted them to look like splits
Classic shot. A Grumman on a Cruiser.

@1911 and @rkymtnflyfisher Y'all run black steelies right? Did you do any painting or clear coat when you got them or just mount your tires as-is? Any surface rust or problems with the black factory primer/paint over time?

Mine are still sitting in the boxes from when they were shipped, once I spring for new tires they’re going on. My plan is to shoot them dark machinery grey, at least that’s the plan for now.

Might go black.

Or grey.

Or......

But they will get painted 100%, or powder coated.

Yes, I'm running stock 15" steelies from the dealer, and I have not painted or clear-coated them, just ran them as they are straight out of the box. That was eight years ago, if memory serves. At least eight years anyway, and I think they still look good. No surface rust that I've noticed, but I'll take a close look tomorrow when I have more light (it's parked in my unfinished-house garage, and there's no electricity in it yet).

OEM Toyota Steel Wheel Tip:

Any 4x4 Toyota steel wheel designed for a Solid Front Axle (SFA) will generally work on a later 4x4 Toyota with Independent Front Suspension (IFS) (provided center bore and lug pattern are correct)

Caveat: Toyota 4x4s that came with 16/17/18" wheels due to having larger brake calipers typically cannot run wheels with a smaller diameter, SFA/IFS aside

Last edited:
The FJC/Tacoma factory steelies of that era (2006+) seemed fairly thin to me. They bent easily on rocks compared to Wheelers or Summit steel wheels. I don't know if they are still the same way. I ran them for several years (2006-2009) before going alloy.

@cruiserjunktion for details on Surf Wagon's Toyota steels wheels with added hubcap clips.

Saw these on the TLCA FB Page. No center bore work needed like I had to. Summit Part number 12-670604

8A940646-4919-4225-9143-1EA945A4973E.jpeg

Did the OP mention whether he needed spacers? Looked up the PN on Summit and saw they had 4.00" BS.

He responded that they fit with no spacers.

OEM Toyota Steel Wheel Tip:

Any 4x4 Toyota steel wheel designed for a Solid Front Axle (SFA) will generally work on a later 4x4 Toyota with Independent Front Suspension (IFS) (provided center bore and lug pattern are correct)

Any 4x4 Toyota wheel (steel or aluminum) designed for IFS generally will NOT work on an SFA truck without utilization of a wheel spacer.

Caveat: Toyota 4x4s that came with 16/17/18" wheels due to having larger brake calipers typically cannot run wheels with a smaller diameter, SFA/IFS aside

Examples:

OEM 40 Series Land Cruiser (SFA) 15" wheels (Welded, disc brake compatible) work on all late-model Toyota 4x4s (IFS) that came with factory 15" wheels and 6-lug bolt pattern. (ex: 1989 Toyota 4Runner)

OEM FJ Cruiser (IFS) 17" wheels do not work on Land Cruisers (E-1997 USDM: SFA) without using a spacer.

Curious what you mean by don’t work, I have FJ cruiser steel wheels on my 79 with no apparent issues, and I’ve seen those as well as multiple different alloys from IFS applications on various SFA cruisers.

Curious what you mean by don’t work, I have FJ cruiser steel wheels on my 79 with no apparent issues, and I’ve seen those as well as multiple different alloys from IFS applications on various SFA cruisers.

Well, heck...maybe my entire post was wrong then. All of the 40s I’ve seen posted with FJC steelies indicated that they used spacers...maybe it was preference over necessity.

I have a friend with an SFA 70 Series that could not run the FJC Steelies without a spacer and ended up having Stockton build some with custom backspacing.

I will edit my original, though now I wonder if I should delete.

I seem to recall reading that too, @G-Cat. I think it’s a shorthand for steering clearance on 15” wheels with > 3 ½” BS on SFA Cruisers, not the definitive word on all wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom