Stay at Home: What are you doing to make the best of this time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got a broken head bolt on my Tecumseh H60 rebuild project. The 2 nut trick isn't working. The only 2 SAE 1/2 inch nuts I had are smooth and regardless of how tight I get them when I turn the bottom nut the top nut turns too. Was going to try some heat. I assume I heat the broken bolt but wouldn't that make it bigger? Or am I missing the point of heating the bolt?

Depends on how you heat. it I like to weld a nut onto the broken stud then use a wrench and it should come right out.
You are really just trying to break the bond that is holding the stud in.

I bought one of these for the water pump studs just in case. Didn’t use it but the reviews and a youtube video I saw were promising.

@iptman you’re welcome to borrow it but given the times not sure when we’ll cross paths

Performance Tool W83203 1/4" to 1/2" Stud Extractor Amazon product ASIN B01GGV1UWI

Last edited:
IMHO, The heat expansion breaks the bond and after the bolt/stud cools and contracts it should come free with some old-fashioned persuasion and some Kroil.

I ended up welding a nut to it. First time using my new welder! :bounce:

Sweet! What kind of welder did you get?

I had to remove a small broken bolt from the back of my drivers side knuckle but it was broken off below the mating surface, otherwise I would have welded a nut to it. I ended up drilling it out with the drill press and cleaning it up with a tap, but it still doesn’t feel right, threads are too loose.

I got a Hobart 210. It was on sale at the same time everything at Tractor Supply was an extra 10% off.

I got to say, I was a little nervous about using it for this. I just picked up a bottle of 75/25 from Arc3 a couple weeks ago and hadn't even setup the .030 wire I bought with the machine. I read the manual and got the wire installed through the gun but I couldn't figure out how to get the gas setup so I just didn't bother. I'll have to go back and check all the connections again. That may be another post in this thread if I can't figure it out. Luckily I swiped from scrap steal from @OTRAMM when he wasn't looking the other day so I have some steel to practice on when I do figure it out. :p

Looking at my Tacoma today what I thought was a standard 12v cigarette lighter outlet was something else entirely. Anyone know what this is? It's mounted in the bed in one of those cubbies.

IMG_20200408_160414346.jpg

It's the special ARB plug that secures the plug with a threaded connector. I use the same style for my fridge.

7E68583F-2A73-48E8-8633-4F1AB2DB57ED.jpeg

Spent some time cleaning the undercarriage today.

I also might have ordered the new Dissent front bumper to go with the Dissent skid plates I have on order. Hopefully that shipment comes while I have all this time on my hands. The old OEM bumper is ready to be retired.

View attachment 2265386
Spent some time cleaning the undercarriage today.

I also might have ordered the new Dissent front bumper to go with the Dissent skid plates I have on order. Hopefully that shipment comes while I have all this time on my hands. The old OEM bumper is ready to be retired.
There's a Dissent rear in the classified for a 100series for sale as well if you want to go all out... 👀
How strong of a pressure washer and which undercarriage spray thing is that? A lot smarter than laying down and using the pressure washer nozzle

I got a Hobart 210. It was on sale at the same time everything at Tractor Supply was an extra 10% off.

I got to say, I was a little nervous about using it for this. I just picked up a bottle of 75/25 from Arc3 a couple weeks ago and hadn't even setup the .030 wire I bought with the machine. I read the manual and got the wire installed through the gun but I couldn't figure out how to get the gas setup so I just didn't bother. I'll have to go back and check all the connections again. That may be another post in this thread if I can't figure it out. Luckily I swiped from scrap steal from @OTRAMM when he wasn't looking the other day so I have some steel to practice on when I do figure it out. :p
Read the instructions... It's pretty simple: hook up gas, open valve, pull trigger, set flow pressure to 20--ish lbs, weld.

There's a Dissent rear in the classified for a 100series for sale as well if you want to go all out... 👀
How strong of a pressure washer and which undercarriage spray thing is that? A lot smarter than laying down and using the pressure washer nozzle

I have a 1500psi electric Ryobi power washer. It generally gets the job done for washing cars, but if I could do it again I would go for more power.

this is the attachment I got from amazon, I’d say it’s worth the $27. It still takes a bit of work to use this under the truck. If the undercarriage is super caked up, I would leave a sprinkler under it for a while to get most of it off, and then hit it with this undercarriage cleaner quickly.

05C84036-A2DD-4CD3-B3A2-E201DA3A569B.jpeg

I have a 1500psi electric Ryobi power washer. It generally gets the job done for washing cars, but if I could do it again I would go for more power.

this is the attachment I got from amazon, I’d say it’s worth the $27. It still takes a bit of work to use this under the truck. If the undercarriage is super caked up, I would leave a sprinkler under it for a while to get most of it off, and then hit it with this undercarriage cleaner quickly.

View attachment 2265962
Go for GPM over PSI. GPM moves dirt far better.

After my kids having gone almost NOWHERE for about three weeks now, and my wife and I not having gone much beyond Giant (in a car) and my work (on a bike), we decided to check out GW National Forest—inspired by the 21 Feb group run that I couldn’t make, we did Flagpole Knob. Based on my very halfhearted research in the middle of an otherwise insane week, we inadvertently took a totally boring route in (924 out of Briery Branch), then turned north on 85, then did a mildly entertaining detour into WV on 85-4, then the Knob, then went down 85, which I believe is the way the club came up in February.
Two bits were a bit challenging headed down and I was glad we didn’t run into a massive fallen tree and find out how they were uphill, although often stuff that’s scary going down is much easier going up, paradoxically.
Surprisingly fun day—after bellyaching for a bit, once the trails got tough the kids got into it, and it beat another day in the house...
Sorry about the picture rotation issues—I’ve taught myself only to take pics for mud with the camera in one flipping orientation but haven’t passed that on to the missus.

11741851-BA19-4AE8-9AA8-C89BD90D7845.jpeg

104376B6-51F3-439B-BEC8-B56545DCB421.jpeg

EFAEEE0F-8611-4024-A3B4-C29DA1F5DD39.jpeg

After my kids having gone almost NOWHERE for about three weeks now, and my wife and I not having gone much beyond Giant (in a car) and my work (on a bike), we decided to check out GW National Forest—inspired by the 21 Feb group run that I couldn’t make, we did Flagpole Knob. Based on my very halfhearted research in the middle of an otherwise insane week, we inadvertently took a totally boring route in (924 out of Briery Branch), then turned north on 85, then did a mildly entertaining detour into WV on 85-4, then the Knob, then went down 85, which I believe is the way the club came up in February.
Two bits were a bit challenging headed down and I was glad we didn’t run into a massive fallen tree and find out how they were uphill, although often stuff that’s scary going down is much easier going up, paradoxically.
Surprisingly fun day—after bellyaching for a bit, once the trails got tough the kids got into it, and it beat another day in the house...
Sorry about the picture rotation issues—I’ve taught myself only to take pics for mud with the camera in one flipping orientation but haven’t passed that on to the missus.

View attachment 2266747

View attachment 2266748

View attachment 2266750
That sir is AWESOME
I would give body parts to go do that for a day right now.

Well we were still camping in the back yard until yesterday. We had a crazy wind storm with 50mph gusts of wind. The small pop up tent over the kids tent didn't make it and their tent folded up like a cheap lawn chair and was fine. My oztent on the other hand didn't fair so well. Little man didn't zip the doors so it lifted up and flipped over and bent the frame up and broke a few bars in it. Luckily parts are easy to come by and already on order.
Now on to our babies 7th birthday on Saturday. Baking a Unicorn Cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom