Starting FJ60 thats been sitting issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't fear that. It's a relatively easy repair. Be glad if that's all it is

Not afraid of, just dreading that i missed an obvious error. i used a drywall square and a feeler guage to measure the warp in the manifold and all checked out to be within spec. The manifold gasket is new with even new studs. All torqued in the correct sequence... i hate to do a job twice

ill post what i find later today when im at the rig

There are some great gurus in TX... I am not familiar with where Dallas is but @CenTXFJ60 and his gang get together at his barn frequently to problem solve and wrench.

Looks like he's down by San Antonio - about 4 hours south from here. Sounds like a great time though. Hopefully we'll get mine running soon and we can come visit some of you fine folks!

Figured I should post a photo. This is where we're currently working on it. We were so happy to finally get it started that we just had to back it out of the garage on its own power.
20191219_110019.jpg

Nice truck! I wish I could partake but unfortunately the commute is too far for me. I’m in CT. Jim’s, @CenTXFJ60, barn is a regular thread here in mud... and @ceylonfj40nut (forgetting his name) w/ his boys and Ryan, @CaptClose are regulars, they probably even have their own parking spaces. :)
I became acquainted to Jim by Ryan awhile back. Very helpful knowledgeable men.

Welp. Found a minor issue with the new gasket aswell as a cracked intake :flush:
123_1.jpeg
123_1(2).jpeg
123_1(3).jpeg

@Noneya Bitness and I used a carpenters square to check the head for flatness and it had a little rocking to it. the intake is within the spec when it comes to warpage. I never aligned the intake and exhaust manifolds so who knows if the intake made full contact or not, plus it has the small crack as pictured above. Thanks everyone for the help so far and if anyones in the area when we slap this back together itd be neat to meet some other cruiser people!

If anyone has an input on checking the head for flatness other than doing the feeler guage technique please feel free to share. Also we may need a new intake/exhaust manifold so any leads on where to find one would be much appriciated, or if we can weld this one.

Nice truck! I wish I could partake but unfortunately the commute is too far for me. I’m in CT. Jim’s, @CenTXFJ60, barn is a regular thread here in mud... and @ceylonfj40nut (forgetting his name) w/ his boys and Ryan, @CaptClose are regulars, they probably even have their own parking spaces. :)
I became acquainted to Jim by Ryan awhile back. Very helpful knowledgeable men.

I am in Richardson.

Yea. Been exchanging some texts with @Noneya Bitness. Let’s see what we can cook up.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys! FYI - I probably won't have many parts available given we discovered the cracked manifold today. Also, I'm pretty sure we'll go with a desmog as well, but haven't ordered parts yet. But you can see where we're at, and point me in the right direction!

I’m in Frisco and I have a full set of exhaust manifold rings and springs as well as the intake heat riser gasket etc. let me know if you need any of those small parts.

Glad it was the intake and gasket and no more. Mike
Well while we have it stripped down we should probably verify the driver's side surface of the head is flat and within limits for the gasket, but I'm not sure how to do that without removing it and taking to a shop. Or is that something that doesn't warp as commonly as the manifolds themselves?

Any suggestions on how to check while it's in the vehicle?

Unless you have had a serious overheating condition of the engine, it is rarely the cylinder head side that is warped. It is more often the intake/exhaust manifold flange combo.

@Noneya Bitness unless @Robert Franzke has told you, some of us have a link for the FSMs in our signature lines. If your using an iPhone (that’s all I know), flip it to the side and the signitures will be revealed. I have the link in mine.
The steps for checking flatness are listed in the Engine book. But @ceylonfj40nut is correct.
IF tho your seeking a decent inexpensive tool for checking flatness, I bought one of theses and really like it. All the reviews were very positive.
38" Anodized Aluminum Straight Edge Guaranteed Straight to Within .003" Over Full 38" Length 108511 Amazon product ASIN B017CG96UY

Let me know if you're still on the market for this. I have a carb/manifolds that I pulled offa good running engine in 2012

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom