Stainless Brake Lines - SLEE vs the others (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think the coefficient of expansion is really that significant in either.
Ok- talking to the coefficient of anything is over my pay grade. But what I know is that my 15yr old hoses vs new the new braided stainless hoses I installed: the booster pump primes in measurably less time , 7-8 seconds faster- measuring priming time before & after install. Seems to me that the old hoses were weak and expanded more before system reached set pressure, new braided hoses resist expansion-which is one of the benefits of reinforced braided steel hose.

Ok- talking to the coefficient of anything is over my pay grade. But what I know is that my 15yr old hoses vs new the new braided stainless hoses I installed: the booster pump primes in measurably less time , 7-8 seconds faster- measuring priming time before & after install. Seems to me that the old hoses were weak and expanded more before system reached set pressure, new braided hoses resist expansion-which is one of the benefits of reinforced braided steel hose.
Yeah.

Except this doesn't make any sense because the booster isn't pressurizing your lines. Those only get pressure when you press the pedal.

Thanks! That's what I was kind of thinking. Figure I'm going to rebuild the calipers while I'm at it as they haven't been touched in 22 years.

I have all the parts (with help identifying them from @JunkCrzr89 ) and will be rebuilding my calipers and sending the booster motor out for a preventative rebuild once the weather is less death (and hopefully before you are out here in Nov!)

I don't think the coefficient of expansion is really that significant in either.

Yeah, I think it's marginal when comparing new with new, but the stainless lines supposedly maintain that performance a lot longer when the rubber starts degrading.

Last edited:
Yeah.

Except this doesn't make any sense because the booster isn't pressurizing your lines. Those only get pressure when you press the pedal.
That’s always been my understanding of how a booster works, too.

That’s always been my understanding of how a booster works, too.
That was why I asked about the pedal being depressed. If the lines to your calipers are pressurized, then your brakes are engaged. I was trying to figure out the shorter time to pressurize the accumulator.

Yeah.

Except - There is an established baseline system pressure, the pressure switch is looking to maintain which I believe includes the entire braking system all the way back to the rear caliper. Hear me out.

After you shut the ignition off, over time the fluid slowly returns to the reservoir and system looses some pressure. During key on process, the (electric) booster runs topping up the accumulator and simultaneously building system pressure to make ready for brake assist.

Now what happens when you open a rear bleeder during the key-on initialization process? With foot off the pedal, the booster would continue to run and pump fluid until you close the bleeder to allow the system to achieve its initialization pressure right? When the pump is running it's creating/achieving its preset line system pressure with out depressing pedal. It makes sense to me that a worn brake hose would not hold line pressure as well as a new hose, and that a rubber reinforced hose would not hold pressure as well as braided stainless hose. Stainless braided hoses have greater burst ratings than standard rubber hoses. It makes sense (to me) that they don't expand as much under pressure either.

I had no other explanation for why the booster primed faster after installing stainless braided hoses. I had no leaking fluid or fittings that might cause longer priming time. After changing 15yr old brake hoses out to stainless reinforced braided hoses - I measured the booster priming time was reduced by 20-25%. Having bled the system twice before in past years my priming time always was typically in the high 30 second range: (36~ 38 seconds), now its consistently 28-29 seconds to prime. I attributed this to stainless hoses holding pressure better than worn standard rubber hoses- since nothing else changed in the braking system.

IDK seems plausible to me, but I could be wrong.

Except - There is an established baseline system pressure, the pressure switch is looking to maintain which I believe includes the entire braking system all the way back to the rear caliper. Hear me out.

After you shut the ignition off, over time the fluid slowly returns to the reservoir and system looses some pressure. During key on process, the (electric) booster runs topping up the accumulator and simultaneously building system pressure to make ready for brake assist.

Now what happens when you open a rear bleeder during the key-on initialization process? With foot off the pedal, the booster would continue to run and pump fluid until you close the bleeder to allow the system to achieve its initialization pressure right? When the pump is running it's creating/achieving its preset line system pressure with out depressing pedal. It makes sense to me that a worn brake hose would not hold line pressure as well as a new hose, and that a rubber reinforced hose would not hold pressure as well as braided stainless hose. Stainless braided hoses have greater burst ratings than standard rubber hoses. It makes sense (to me) that they don't expand as much under pressure either.

I had no other explanation for why the booster primed faster after installing stainless braided hoses. I had no leaking fluid or fittings that might cause longer priming time. After changing 15yr old brake hoses out to stainless reinforced braided hoses - I measured the booster priming time was reduced by 20-25%. Having bled the system twice before in past years my priming time always was typically in the high 30 second range: (36~ 38 seconds), now its consistently 28-29 seconds to prime. I attributed this to stainless hoses holding pressure better than worn standard rubber hoses- since nothing else changed in the braking system.

IDK seems plausible to me, but I could be wrong.
How much pressure are you theorizing is the 'preset line pressure' here?

WHO sells just the rear extended lines for VSC, not slee?

Just an update, cruiseroutfitters just sold out. Slee is also sold out. So any leads on slee lines would be great.

how fast do you need them? any idea on lead time? I have a set on hand but I won't be digging in to the project until the weather cools off

Might be worth having a local hose shop fab a set for you, if you have the old ones just bring them in, they should be able to source all the fittings

how fast do you need them? any idea on lead time? I have a set on hand but I won't be digging in to the project until the weather cools off

Might be worth having a local hose shop fab a set for you, if you have the old ones just bring them in, they should be able to source all the fittings

They don't know when they will be in stock again. I'm not in a rush so i suppose i could look around at local shops. It's not a terribly complex part just need the added insurance after I got my lift.

He doesn't recommend them anymore. I went with SLEE.

Ahh I missed this post from @2001LC :

I guess that makes me feel a little better about the Slee brake lines, that I have sitting in the box for our 99 LX.

They don't know when they will be in stock again. I'm not in a rush so i suppose i could look around at local shops. It's not a terribly complex part just need the added insurance after I got my lift.
if the only reason you are replacing them, is because of your lift, you don't need to replace them unless you are one of the 5 people with the 1" longer icon rear shocks.

WOW, so disappointed in the lack of support for 100's compared to 80's. Is there no oem line that can replace these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom