Square knuckle/birf nut - what do you use to take it off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some advice on the best tool and potential ways to easily take off the square knuckle inspection nut on top? Mine is a bit caked in won’t easily turn with a wrench.

It’s looking a bit dry and I’m getting occasional light clicking on some turns while accelerating. Figure I’d pump in some moly to buy me time till I replace the birfs and shaft for my regear later this year.

Any advice on the best way or tool to get this off would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Looking for some advice on the best tool and potential ways to easily take off the square knuckle inspection nut on top? Mine is a bit caked in won’t easily turn with a wrench.

It’s looking a bit dry and I’m getting occasional light clicking on some turns while accelerating. Figure I’d pump in some moly to buy me time till I replace the birfs and shaft for my regear later this year.

Any advice on the best way or tool to get this off would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
A wrench is what I would use.

An offset combination open end-closed end.

Perhaps an 8 point socket designed specifically for square head plugs.

I'm guessing either 14 mm or 15 mm.

That said, you could also use an open-end adjustable metric wrench if necessary.

I don't think a hammer would be an appropriate tool for this particular application.

However, I do recommend a wire brush be applied first to eliminate all the debris that you will otherwise drop into the hole once removed.

Last edited:
Isn't it a standard 3/8 or 1/2" size? If I remember I just used whatever was closest to me at the time.

Thanks all, and for the advice on cleaning the area up. I'll keep trying with a wrench- if not look for a square plug socket. If all else fails then pliers.

Last edited:
Thanks all, and for the advice on cleaning the area up. I'll keep trying with a wrench- if not look for a square plug socket. If all else fails then pliers.
You can also use a 12 point socket. It will grab the corners as well. Just will be a weird size that fits.

You can also use a 12 point socket. It will grab the corners as well. Just will be a weird size that fits.
Haha yes, I just realized a 12 point socket can solve my problem- sadly I only have an 1/2" in hand that seems a bit small. Heading to the store to try a few on.

Am I the only one who just uses a 12mm box wrench? Or am I thinking of the wrong plug?

20210923_123459.jpg

20210923_123505.jpg

For rusted-in studs and plugs use...

Loctite 2343776 Freeze and Release Penetrating Oil​

Or use the old plumber's trick, tightening it first tell it moves just a little then back it out

go to homedepot or lowes or amazon and find a pipe plug socket, its got a square hole to fit it. i misplaced my craftsman socket otherwise i'd snap a pic of it

also.... hit it with a wire brush then some pb blaster, let it sit for a little bit, tighten just a hair to break loose any corrosion then remove as normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom