SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just did the Sylvanias. I have no other LED to compare to, but they’re much better than factory.
View attachment 3184739
For $20 I encourage you to try the GY6.35. It matches the other lighting on Early 200s. Those LEDs will rate about 80 on the CRI scale. The GY6.35 are a perfect 100.

1670121090035.png

Thanks, I'll check the bulbs and see if they have voltage being sent to them.

The lights on the bumper are ridged and throw lots of light in the rear, but the vehicle lights light up the sides.

Bad news today. I opened up the oil fill cap to find milky yellow fluid all over the inside of it. :frown: This is a new development. Truck has been running like a top, temp gauge has stayed put. I opened the hood, and the coolant reservoir is nearly empty. No drips or staining or evidence of leaking anywhere. From reading, it could be anything from a head gasket to the oil cooler to the water pump or radiator.

The oil was changed right before I bought this truck, no evidence of coolant then. I was just going to change the oil because I didn’t know what the PO’s shop used.

I’m hoping it’s something simple like the radiator or water pump. I searched coolant in oil in the 200 series section and did not see much in terms of results.

So here’s my question: what all do I need to check? I’m thinking HG, WP, radiator.

I would do a cylinder compression test to check the head gasket. I do not know of any way a water pump or radiator problem would get coolant in the oil.
I'm not sure how you would check the oil cooler.

Bad news today. I opened up the oil fill cap to find milky yellow fluid all over the inside of it. :frown: This is a new development. Truck has been running like a top, temp gauge has stayed put. I opened the hood, and the coolant reservoir is nearly empty. No drips or staining or evidence of leaking anywhere. From reading, it could be anything from a head gasket to the oil cooler to the water pump or radiator.

The oil was changed right before I bought this truck, no evidence of coolant then. I was just going to change the oil because I didn’t know what the PO’s shop used.

I’m hoping it’s something simple like the radiator or water pump. I searched coolant in oil in the 200 series section and did not see much in terms of results.

So here’s my question: what all do I need to check? I’m thinking HG, WP, radiator.
I've seen pics on this forum of that and it was just bc of several quick starts and not getting up to operating temp....but the lack of coolant would concern me. Have you checked the radiator to see if the coolant was low there as well? I'd fill up the reservoir and check it daily to see if the drop is quickly or slow.

I've seen pics on this forum of that and it was just bc of several quick starts and not getting up to operating temp....but the lack of coolant would concern me. Have you checked the radiator to see if the coolant was low there as well? I'd fill up the reservoir and check it daily to see if the drop is quickly or slow.
Man I’m hoping that is it. I was just reading about that on the Tundra forum. Here are some pics. This is the filler cap, filler neck, coolant reservoir, and what I wiped off the dipstick. I’m going to go ahead and drain the oil and see if it’s milky. I’m praying it’s just in the cap. I drove 9 miles today and opened the cap about 20 min after I got home.
2C1C83E7-F6D9-4D5D-AC7A-7C77EB8F4E02.jpeg

F96D2D4B-ED3A-4036-A9BE-5C02663F45F8.jpeg
061110CC-637E-463C-A852-0866D8C384BC.jpeg

92871269-D7DA-4DD6-B56A-A7F577BECCC5.jpeg

This happens on the 4.7 as well. Start driving your car 20 miles at a time instead of two and I bet it stops. Are you not seeing this on your other 5.7?

Here’s the drained oil:
7B15BC2F-2C39-426F-9498-99F4746DD4B5.jpeg

This happens on the 4.7 as well. Start driving your car 20 miles at a time instead of two and I bet it stops. Are you not seeing this on your other 5.7?
I went 9 miles, and the engine got up to temp. And no, I do not see this on my other 5.7L.

The inside of the filler lid is very thick and gummy. I guess it is like that from multiple short trips over the truck’s life. I would’ve thought that 9 miles is far enough to burn off all the condensation. It was warmed up well before the halfway point of the trip, too.

Stupid Questions Of the Day include overreactions, right? o_O

The inside of the filler lid is very thick and gummy. I guess it is like that from multiple short trips over the truck’s life. I would’ve thought that 9 miles is far enough to burn off all the condensation. It was warmed up well before the halfway point of the trip, too.

Stupid Questions Of the Day include overreactions, right? o_O
I’d be vigilant just in case. Fill the coolant back up and see where that is going and check under your oil cap after driving for a while.

I’d be vigilant just in case. Fill the coolant back up and see where that is going and check under your oil cap after driving for a while.
Absolutely. That’s the part that still slightly worries me. This truck is new to me, and I thought I inspected everything. I don’t remember seeing the coolant res this low, but I can’t be sure. Engine looks clean all around the intake manifold. No leaks down below on the factory skids.

Absolutely. That’s the part that still slightly worries me. This truck is new to me, and I thought I inspected everything. I don’t remember seeing the coolant res this low, but I can’t be sure. Engine looks clean all around the intake manifold. No leaks down below on the factory skids.

Try replacing the PCV Valve - possible cause and cheap insurance in any event. Part# 12204-38010.

HTH

Dumb question: Did 2011 LC200s have DRL? I want to get a SmartTap relay but it says it won’t work with vehicles with DRL.

I also saw that if you did have DRL and deactivated it then your trailer lights wouldn’t work.

Dumb question: Did 2011 LC200s have DRL? I want to get a SmartTap relay but it says it won’t work with vehicles with DRL.

I also saw that if you did have DRL and deactivated it then your trailer lights wouldn’t work.
Yes, the are turned on and off through the nav screen.

You’re not getting your truck up to temp. Go drive around in 2nd gear at 5k rpm for a while. I’m not joking.

@LX Cruiser check for the Valley leak too. do a quick search here. usually visible through the top/ intake edges I think.

when i first got my lx570, one day i looked at the plastic jug at the top of the radiator with the coolant level in it, and it was almost gone. i panicked. went to the local parts place, put in enough to top off the plastic jug, and then....it was fine again. i have driven it about 15K miles since then, and have not added a drop of coolant.

i wish i could explain WHY. maybe the previous owner did not keep it up to snuff, and the lexus dealer did not notice it was low? but that does not make a lot of sense.

in any event, i keep checking it, and it is not blowing thru any new coolant

Does any one know what the deal is with the ipod? plug in the place of the aux?
View attachment 3158367
I was wondering if someone could help me avoid any future rattles while I figure out this ipod dock.
I have an old ipod that works. It played for a second or two and then cut out. It does look like there is 3.5mm going into it. To get the dock out I think It will require some more disassembly. So where do I go from here?

I would not mind keeping the dock in here but not at the cost of the aux port.

My next question has to do with quality of the audio that the Mark Levinson system is capable of. I have scavenge a few mid-high end stereo amps and speakers over the years. Sitting in a quite room with a decent setup I can hear the difference between a lossless audio file and a mid quality mp3. The LX is by far the quietest vehicle I have been in. Is there value in some sort of mid level DAC paired with lossless audio files using the aux line? Maybe the road noise negates any benefit. Either way I am pursuing a non streaming, offline option for music.

1670604987787.png

I was wondering if someone could help me avoid any future rattles while I figure out this ipod dock.
I have an old ipod that works. It played for a second or two and then cut out. It does look like there is 3.5mm going into it. To get the dock out I think It will require some more disassembly. So where do I go from here?

I would not mind keeping the dock in here but not at the cost of the aux port.

My next question has to do with quality of the audio that the Mark Levinson system is capable of. I have scavenge a few mid-high end stereo amps and speakers over the years. Sitting in a quite room with a decent setup I can hear the difference between a lossless audio file and a mid quality mp3. The LX is by far the quietest vehicle I have been in. Is there value in some sort of mid level DAC paired with lossless audio files using the aux line? Maybe the road noise negates any benefit. Either way I am pursuing a non streaming, offline option for music.

View attachment 3189072

The silver part is held in only with clips. Remove the cup holder and the shift knob and it pops out. It’s been a while since I’ve had it out, but that’s all it requires..be interesting to know how the 30pin dock is wired in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom