Builds Spyduh's LX450 Build (Motor Rebuild + Wits End Turbo Kit) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much going on with this build. Been busy with the Crawler80 build.

I've taken a break on the 80 and decided to finally weld in battery tray for my half cut yota pickup trailer.

AGM 105amp batt mounted now. Now to wire up 7pin harness, solar, panel, 12v plugs, led lights and maybe a small inverter

I was hoping I could fit 2 of these side by side. But im just short an inch. Oh well. I can squeeze in a group 24 or maybe a 27 next to it and run 2 together. For now 1 battery on the trailer is better than zero.

20210705_145934.jpg

20210705_151110.jpg

20210705_152040.jpg

How about you make a separate half cut Yota trailer thread? I'm sure there are those that will find that interesting..

Pulled a perfectly good all metal CSF radiator thats about 2-3 years old. No leaks or anything but it wasn't keeping the engine cool enough with the Turbo. I put it a blue fan with fresh 20k CST as well.

Popped in a Koyo A1918 and a Solvefunction 3d printed valve guard.

Idling at 181 degrees. Will test drive soon and get freeway temps with AC on.

20210731_100617.jpg

20210731_102827.jpg

20210731_140556.jpg

20210731_140625.jpg

20210731_143526.jpg

What do you call to hot ?
What was it running at with the old radiator?

Im looking forward to your findings.
After doing research it appears that I have a Koyo A1918 from previous owner.

Last edited:
Pulled a perfectly good all metal CSF radiator thats about 2-3 years old. No leaks or anything but it wasn't keeping the engine cool enough with the Turbo. I put it a blue fan with fresh 20k CST as well.

Popped in a Koyo A1918 and a Solvefunction 3d printed valve guard.

Idling at 181 degrees. Will test drive soon and get freeway temps with AC on.

View attachment 2746720

View attachment 2746721

View attachment 2746722

View attachment 2746723

View attachment 2746727

I have a Koyo 1918 radiator that replaced a 3core brass OEM radiator and I gotta tell you, my engine runs hotter now. It hovers around 210+ quite easily and the a/c has shut off on some long climbs. So, it's good to hear that the Koyo is up to snuff. I am running 15,000CST fan clutch fluid but I need to make sure that everything else is working as they should.

What do you call to hot ?
What was it running at with the old radiator?
Old temps 221 to 230 on freeway speeds AC on at 90-100degree outside temp. Idle was 192. 35mph about 201.

I did a test drive finally and it's hovering at 185 idle to 35 mph. 195 to 200 ac freeway speeds at 90F.

2 gauges. Bluetooth TQ app OBD2 temps against Witness Tapped coolant pipe with my PLX device sensor. That's temps straight out of the block at it's hottest point.

Final data proves that KOYO radiator is better at cooling that the all metal CSF radiator and cheaper too
20210807_201224-COLLAGE.jpg

And driving the turbo 80 with the 20,000 CST oil and the photo man pulley. The cruiser fan is stupid loud now and it overpowers the sound of the turbo. And the turbos already pretty loud. I think I have too much fan now. I think I need to put back in the 15,000 CST oil cuz I think that was not the issue I had with cooling and it was the CSF radiator

I run 15,000 CST and I think it's loud so I can only imagine 20,000 CST :eek:

I run 15,000 CST and I think it's loud so I can only imagine 20,000 CST :eek:
Oh it's just not 20k. It's 20K with the Photoman smaller fan pulley! So it's already over driven and spinning faster.

I've read it's a 10%? Or more increase.

15k and Photoman pulley was fine.

Not sure about this 20k and Photoman pulley. I think I'm over spinning the fan.

Koyorad did perfect pulling my 2k lb trailer up 80 and 89.

Temps maxed at 210 degrees when it was 100 F outside with AC blasting at highway speeds. Cruising 55mph towing it was reading 190F. Down hill after summit it was blowing 172F coasting down hill with AC on. Almost too cold.

Turbo also kicks ass. Pulled everything up at not so safe speeds. Was impressing diesel tow rigs with their built jeeps and pulling past them 😂. They weren't going towing speeds!

Have you pop the hood and hear hissing out of your charcoal canister?
Open your gas cap and have it vent out fumes for 15 mins?
Then you too have had your gas tank boil over.

was on the way to Fordyce SierraTrek event a few weeks ago towing my yota trailer loaded down. About grass valley I pulled over and In N out to get a burger. That's when I opened the gas cap to hear boiling gas and have it spewing fumes for over 15mins. It eventually cooled down and I topped off the gas to help cool it down.

Well I got my VC120 replacement canister today. Installed it. Will see this weekend when I can drive it.

I've had tell tail signs of charcoal canister going bad but I just kept ignoring it. Brand new OEM gas cap didn't fix my fill up gas pressure issues.

It also didn't help my charcoal when i'm running 49 gallons with the 25 gal Long range fuel aux tank.

yup I decided to weigh the original. It was heavy and came in at 3.3 lbs

IMG_20210831_162517.jpg

IMG_20210831_153115.jpg

IMG_20210831_163038.jpg

Last edited:
I've definitely noticed the hiss, but thankfully haven't encountered this issue, yet. I purchased a VC120 to replace OEM charcoal canister.

Was it a drop-in replacement or any modification needed to fit it?

I've definitely noticed the hiss, but thankfully haven't encountered this issue, yet. I purchased a VC120 to replace OEM charcoal canister.

Was it a drop-in replacement or any modification needed to fit it?
its pretty close to the same size but still required some mod to fit.

I got rid of the bottom clamp. stretched out the top clamp and dropped it in. pinched the clamp together and used some new hardware (bolt/nut) about 2" inch long and snugged it down. I tried to use the bottom clamp too but it wouldn't open up wide enough and as impossible to even get hardware on, even if I could manage to squeeze it in. 2 clamps is overkill for a can anyway.

Only took me a couple months before I installed a 30 second part. Lol.

The new check valve that came with the turbo kit was done after 2 years just like my charcoal canister.

I took it off and air would pass through both direction.

Bought 2 new evil energy 8mm 5/16 one way check valve from Amazon. One as a spare in the center console now too.

Lastly I switched out the 20k blue fan clutch back to 15k blue fan. 20k and photoman pulley is just beyond overkill and was just too much spinning the belt would slip under full boooooooost.

IMG_20211022_140241.jpg

Drove the truck 3 hours and temps were 186 to 203 pushing up Hwy 152 at full throttle at times.

15k and photoman pulley worked great with the new Koyorad.

20k and photoman made the belt slip on full throttle. I wonder if thats a turbo only problem as the engine is spooling faster than normal NA.

I'm happy with the turbo and love driving it.

The crawler80 has 22.5k blue fan on stock pulley and that works great with the KOYO and stays at 182 to 198F

Drove the truck 3 hours and temps were 186 to 203 pushing up Hwy 152 at full throttle at times.

15k and photoman pulley worked great with the new Koyorad.

20k and photoman made the belt slip on full throttle. I wonder if thats a turbo only problem as the engine is spooling faster than normal NA.

I'm happy with the turbo and love driving it.

The crawler80 has 22.5k blue fan on stock pulley and that works great with the KOYO and stays at 182 to 198F

1) Hwy 152 with the turbo is a completely difference experience than NA
2) I’m using OEM rad, blue fan clutch, 20k fluid and stock pulley and I’m seeing similar Temps. Definitely not a shortage of cfm being pulled
3) New charcoal canister went in easily — Good tip on the check valve, I’ll throw a few in the Amazon shopping cart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom