Builds Spyduh's LX450 Build (Motor Rebuild + Wits End Turbo Kit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fan speed should not make a difference at 80mph. You already have 80mph of wind blowing on the radiator, so the fan won't be able to pull anymore air at those speeds. It could be a Coolant flow issue such as a clog or restriction or the radiator isn't big enough. If you have a bunch of accessories blocking the grill that might play a part.
Probably accessories.
Cooling system has been completely redone short of changing hard lines and the heater core.

Bought the 6mm hood spacer from Amazon. Who measured that and wrote the description did not do the correct measurement. Its actually 1inch (25.4mm). Returning it to amazon since it looked ridiculous with a gap that tall. I dug around my random bolt bucket and found some shock inserts. Cut them down 5/16 and got longer bolts to match.

I can feel the heat exiting from the sides and back of the hood. I may try and find different spacers that are 1/4 inch.

20200629_181629.jpg

20200629_181314.jpg

20200629_181320.jpg

20200629_181227.jpg

20200629_181243.jpg

Is your bumper blocking airflow from getting to the lower part of the radiator? Arb bumpers actually have vents to allow air to flow into the bumper area. Not sure if that will make a difference. I would have ran the 1 inch spacers just as a test, along with other sized spacers to get an idea of what kind of venting does what.

Is your bumper blocking airflow from getting to the lower part of the radiator? Arb bumpers actually have vents to allow air to flow into the bumper area. Not sure if that will make a difference. I would have ran the 1 inch spacers just as a test, along with other sized spacers to get an idea of what kind of venting does what.
Sold my ARB and running a 4x4labs now with a big ass warn zeon 10s.

I guess I need a second lx450 build page now.

This one will be a full rock crawler build. I am replacing my 93 solid axle swap pickup flatbed rock crawler. Kids are getting big and they cant fit in the back bench seat anymore. So going full size

20200717_220353.jpg

20200712_170524.jpg

20200712_170512.jpg

Last edited:
I have a feeling there is another turbo in your future.
Is it free? I'll take one if it's free. haha :p

If it's not free, then my wife will kill me. Then all my rigs will get sold and some other dude will be really happy with 3 fully built rigs.

Sick build thread! Just read everything. I'll be hitting you up soon for a ride!

Haven't been working on the Turbo 80. Been wrenching on the Crawler80. It's coming along. Just ordered some 6" Dobi's and some @Delta VS 6" radius arms to go with it.

Edit: I have yet to create a build page dedicated to the Crawler80 build. I've been taking some pictures of the build process though. I sold my mini truck crawler a few weeks ago now and that's given me some new inspiration now that I don't have a crawler I can take out. Trying to wrap up the Crawler80 so I can make it this year for KOH.

The worst case is I take the Turbo 80 just to get to the event and hang out and watch the races. No hardcore wheeling for the Turbo80, it's too straight to bang-up. Hence the Crawler80 build.

For those that follow this thread. Well, I'm at it again. Working on my Crawler80 Build if you want to see how the new one turns out. Tune in at the build thread here:

I'm also working on an E36 M3 build at the same time as the Crawler80 build. Yes, I'm a gluten for punishment. There's no build thread for the E36 M3. I sold the Prius and decided I wanted a fun car that will also do ok-ish mileage.

I did the rear 1/2" hood lift last summer, did it with washers. Got a steady 3* degree difference out of it. Wonder what 3/4" would give me?

So I just completed a full tcase rebuild with all brand new bearings and seals ($500) and added Under Drive Gears to my already installed Marlin Low Range and Marlin Part Time Spool Hf2av tcase on my Crawler80. The Crawler80 is on 5.29s and 39s for those unaware with my other build project.

I'm been toying with the idea of doing a Tcase for my Turbo80 build. Taking opinions if I need to even do this or am I just wasting money for this build.
Turbo80 is built for an expedition rig. Moab, Baja, Sand Hollow, medium rock crawling, etc type trails. Currently on 4.88s and 35s and Wits End Turbo. I'm not going any bigger than these tires and don't really want to delete ABS like I did with my Crawler80!

These are my tcase install options with my comments:
Sumo Under Drive Gears -- Not needed since I got the Turbo and I'm staying 35s and 4.88s
Sumo or Marlin Low Range Gears -- Needed to slow my crawl ratio
Part Time Spool -- Not really needed since I would have to either ABS delete or ABS mod with CruiserOutfitters relocation ABS kit. Only reason I want it is, it does give more power to RWD with the Turbo. However, I think it's a pipe dream and waste of money for this build.
New Bearing Kit -- It's a nice to do while I'm in there and I'm a sucker for stuff like this. But my original case has 190k and doesn't have any problems that my other Crawler80 tcase had. It's also $500 and a lot of freaking work to change it out. Don't really want to do it again!

What would you guys recommend?

If your not going in there to do either the bearings or 3:1's, leave 'er sealed up. Otherwise don't waste your time or money on the under-drive or part time kit, just 3:1's and bearings if it actually needs them.

I honestly think you're wasting your time and money if you open it up for the intended purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom