Spring over 74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that I got my OME done I have had some people ask why not more. One of my mechanic friends despratly wants to do i spring over with me. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Our thoughts are keep everything the same just on the top of the axle's, change to bigger gears and run somewhere between 37 and 40" tires. He can get that big of tires for about the same as reg price 33's. What you guys think? Sure would be nice to piss with the big dogs! thanks

My friends keep bugging me to do this to. :)
Then get some big interco's on it.

Here are a few pro's and con's I have thought of.

Pro's
Huge clearance
Better break over...
Way better approch and departure angles.
Takes a big step up in the offroad.

Cons:
You will have to regear, so budget that in.
Any lower that 5.29, and the R+P start getting weak in my opinion.
And 5.29's with 37-40's might be to fast for offorading.
The rig might get a lot more tippy ( I am worried about this).
Possible stearing issues. Might have to make up a high steer system.

The more I think about this more I am inclinded to stay leaf under and stay with 33-35's. Once you go to the next level it costs quite a bit of money (tires, gears, etc...). Plus they go places now. Usually does not get stop until I start dragging (which going higher would fix). But then in another few inches you are dragging axles (same problem).

Anyways, that is my 2 cents for what I have tought about it.
Right now it goes places as is. Going biggers comes with tradeoffs.
Personally I like how it wheels now, and is still a good daily driver.
Personally, if you don't already have lockers, or some a really agressive tires, I would do those first. If you already have those, than a leaf over might be the next step for you.

Cheers,
N.

Last edited:
SO IMOP is the best off road mod that you can do .. but it's a totally diferent rig when it's done, you must need to lear drive your Cruiser again ..

Well done of course ..

flat springs and 37 are the easy way, 4.88 if you have SF rear and you like to use on road also for long trips ..

5.28 if you have FF and H55F :D

My HZJ73 is lifted approx. 4" in the front, and when it was about 1" higher it had bump steering issues.. So, IMO, anything that lifts it more than that will be dangerous at speed... unless the steering is corrected.

Jim

$$$ to do it right. Starting at the front and going back...

Perches for the front axle...buy or build
new lower front shock mounts
longer front shocks
cut and turn front housing...point pinion at transfer case
CV style front driveshaft if you don't have already
Lower gearing ring and pinion...front end
longer front brake line
might as well rebuild front axle with new seals, wipers, bearings
high steer kit including links and rod ends
longer sway bar links up front...or ditch it altogether
may have to notch/lower cross member that supports tranny
CV style rear driveshaft
longer rear brake line
rear axle perches
rear lower shock mounts
longer rear shocks
lower gears for rear
modify rear ebrake cable bracket
modify locker cables if applicable
all this is before tires and wider wheels...gotta go wider if you're gonna go taller

I'm sure I've missed a thing or two...been awhile since I did my last one. SOA requires attention to detail and no shortcuts. Should you do it? Absolutely. Do the research and budget for perfection. Then again, just my opinion.:cheers:

Last edited:
two thrity, can you please elabotate as i am bout to undertake a LOA

My HZJ73 is lifted approx. 4" in the front, and when it was about 1" higher it had bump steering issues.. So, IMO, anything that lifts it more than that will be dangerous at speed... unless the steering is corrected.

Jim

Corrected steering is a given with a springover since the drag link would try to run right through he pass side leaf if you left if stock. The bumpsteer problem on s/u lifts can be helped bu swapping a 60 series pitman arm on. It's easy to do and drops the draglink by at least an inch. It alleviates the bump steer a fair bit.

Oh, and even the 'big dogs' have trouble sometimes.
ziplock2.jpg

what's up there . ?

What's up there is Sprinkles the truck is breaking over Volkswagen rock on Big Sluice. What you cannot see is that the RF tire is jammed into a rock on the side of the trail, and cannot move forward, steer, or back more than 1cm or so. Took a while, and a bit of re-molding of the RF fender where it was touching the rock, but it made it under it's own power.

S/O is the only way to make a hard core rig out of a 74. I am running 38's with about 4cm of fender trim to help the big boots fit. Stock springs with the axle moved ahead 3cm, 4x4 labs steering, ram-assist, and a Bam-bar on the rear to control wrap.

Some S/O project pictures here
http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02
http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=rollcage-tent

Peter Straub

as Peter can attest to a SOA is fine if you like laying on your side for a rest... the COG is too much for any serious sidehilling...
i earned Peter of this in Tippy when he did his first SOA but the first run out he ended up on his side...

as Peter can attest to a SOA is fine if you like laying on your side for a rest... the COG is too much for any serious sidehilling...
i earned Peter of this in Tippy when he did his first SOA but the first run out he ended up on his side...

Indeed, "Your side" is just one of the new places you'll go with a S/O truck. That's how you know when you're trying hard enough.

But I did learn a few things about Tippy. 11" wide tires on 8" rims with 4.25" backspacing. Tippy got it's name.
Snowflake, the truck that also tips over from time to time... 14" wide tires, 10" rims with 4" backspacing, IFS hubs in the front and 1.25" spacers in the rear. Mucho wider. Also needs a anti-sway bar. Still managed to tip it over once.

Going on your side is all part of going more places with a S/O truck. If you're not ready for this wheeling honour, then your S/O conversion is purely poseur.

Peter Straub

LOL!!
i really do love your posts Peter, an admission of a shortcoming coupled with the "idea" it is an acceptable evil...

you should visit more often...

Keep the ideas and photos comming. I'll be doing a SO on a stretched 70 starting late may, so i'm interested in seeing what else is out there. I'll try my best to build mine with droop as opposed to height, to keep the COG low. etc...
Anyhow, Cheers!

The was a cool post on here a year or two ago from a guy who had toyed with the idea of having custom springs made with the eye wrapped under the main leaf instead of above thus dropping the end result lift about 2". Don't know if it ever came about though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom