Interesting SOA idea... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...well at least I thought so. I posted this on pirate and didn't get a response, so I thought I would try here.

So I have been thinking about this for a while. I want the benifits of SOA's ride quality and flex, but not all the height. So I have been planning to get some Alcan's made for my 60 with stock specs, only reverse eye as the rubicon express springs are:

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/images/RE1444.jpg

I figured this would get the total lift in about the 4" range. The thing I am concerned about is clearing the drag link/pitman arm with the spring as the spring will be closer to them than a normal SOA. Does anyone have any pics of the pitman arm to spring distance on a flat stock spring SOA so I can get an idea of what I am dealing with? Other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Colin

If it turns out that the stock pitman arm will not work, check into hysteer kits that use a custom minitruck pitman as they typically have less drop. The nut that fastens the rod end to my OTT arm just barely clears the frame...seems to me that this would work for your application.

Thanks for the replies!

TwoThirtyDirty, do you have the OTT arm on a 60 or a mini truck?

C

with flat stock spring springs and a mild shackle lift I was still pushing 7inches. i don't know how you would only get 4. keep us posted though and good luck

The reverse eye springs move the center of the spring eye lower by about 1.5-2". That and I plan to uses stock shackles, so if my springs have the same arch as yours, I would figure lift in the range of 4-5".

aaahhhh I see. but one thing to throw into the mix. you need slightly longer shackles because the spring will flex muccchhh more with it sprung over. It would prob be a good idea to pick up a set on anit-inversion shackles. good luck man...

Do you know which drop the pitman arm is? the flat one or the 2.5"drop one? Also, do you have the whole hi steer kit? Are you happy with it?

A picture would be great if you have the time.

Thanks again!

Colin

It's snowing here today...not so good for picture takin. I scammed some shop time on Saturday so will snap a couple of pics and post on Sat. eve.

Thanks for the pic! It looks like there will be plenty of room with that arm. I am trying to get a quote on the springs right now from Alcan, then I will start ordering parts. It will be a month at least before I can start, but I will update the board as I progress.

C

Cal99 said:
... I will update the board as I progress. C

Please do! I have the same desires / concerns that you expessed, and have been considering this for years. Your posts here will help a lot of folks with this goal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom