1988 BJ74. 5speed. Factory Lockers & more. Loaded & ready to go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1988 BJ74 5speed. Factory Lockers & more. Loaded & ready to go

Well, I have been thinking about downsizing for awhile now. I love this truck so much it's taken me about 4 months to even list it on here. Its a 1988 BJ74. It stones old truck. Its treated me well, and has been a joy to drive. I loved my BJ60 & HDJ81, but I think this has been my favorite cruiser yet. I am thinking about downsizing, (probably to a suzuki) and paying off debt. The truck has been well cared for and had regular fluid changes etc...

The Good:
13B-T turbo diesel with 157,xxx kms
5-speed
Factory cable lockers
2.5" Terrain Tamer lift
Safari Snorkel
Donaldson Pre-filter
PTO winch
Aussie Aluminum Bull bar
IPF front lights
Isspro pyro & boost guage
Rock lights under front bumper
LHD Hella H4 headlight enclosures (DOT & SAE approved)
Extra DOT side marker lights.
2 brand new batteries
12/24v solar converter (with switch to flip between Straight convert and balance mode)
12v fuse box and 12v power
Alarm & Immobilizer
Rear rails added to FTP top for roof rack (professionally installed).
Pioneer Premier CD player with new speakers (sounds good).
Cobra CB radio
Power mirrors
AC blows nice and cold. Recently recharged with R12 even though it was still good.
Hood Line-x'd to match paint (very nice)
255/85/16 AT tires on factory rims
Proper speedo correction installed
Full size spare tire.
1.5" wheel spacers
All glass is good. No chips or anything
New 4 core toyota radiator
Lower rad hose heater.
Factory Suspension seats (not installed yet. Got from G&S.)
Custom rear bumper
4plug wiring for trailer
Rear seat belts from BJ60 (don't think stock BJ74 have them).
Manuals (Factory Toyota Body & Chassis & Spector B series engine).
Thats all I can think of right now. I am sure I am missing some stuff. I will add as I think of it.

**********UPDATE**********
Forgot to mention these things:
-- Has "Wilson" switch glow screen bypass for cold starting (works great).
-- Has documented history since import of Dec 2004 and 75xxx KM's.
-- 24V spare light kit from 4wheel atuo (lots of extra lights for the truck)

The Bad:
Bit of rust over the wheel wheels (see pics). Not to bad yet, but I want to be honest. And some rust in the rockers where the seams meet. This is a very common spot. The good news is, no bodywork or bondo, so what you see is what you get. Nothing is hidden. Leaky rear main seal (leaks a little, but not enough to register on the dip stick between changes). The oil pressure guage also stopped working. Not sure what it is yet.

Possible extras:
I have my 255/85/16 BFG mud terrains on black aluminum rims.
If you wanted these to we could work them in.

Who should buy this truck:
You want a cruiser and want to use it. You want to go places, and not just to the mall. You know all those extras cost a lot of money to buy (get it in a package for less). You probably shouldn't buy this truck you want a mint condition truck for town only. Why the truck is in very good shape, it could be better (pin stripping etc, little rust etc..).

I should also mention. I am not a mud bogger or rock crawler. I am more into exploring.
Which means lots of old roads. If mud and snow are on the road, so be it. :) its fun.
But it I don't go looking for it to bag my truck. So this truck has not been abused by me (nor Stone).
In Japan I think it was more of a street cruiser. So why its been used, it hasn't been abused.
(I am also anal about letting the turbo cool before shut off etc..)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
I will consider all offers. But I don't have to sell, so please no lowballs.
The parts value of this truck is more than I am asking.

SOLD
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Nick.

Last edited:
Here are some pics with the all terrains on.

front.jpg

Please note: The white wavy thing (fender and body) is the reflection of my fence, Not anything on the paint.
front_34.jpg

Notice the rear rail added to the FRP top in the back.
Also notice the rust spots over the wheel wheels (darker spots).
side.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the BFG 255/75/16 tires with black aluminum rims.
Still got lots of good tread. Please note these are not included in the asking price.
If you would like them, we could figure something out.

The offset with these tires and wheel spacers. I really like this stance when driving. Feels much ore stable with these rims and spacers. With the factory rims and tires it is flush with the body.
front_offset.jpg

Notice the rust in the wheel well I was talking about. Its not to bad, but I want to be honest.
tire_angle.jpg

Notice the front rock light under the bumper.
tire_side.jpg

Here are some pics from last year when stone was selling. Pretty much the same, so I haven't gotten around to taking new ones yet.:

BJ74%202006%20026.jpg

BJ74%202006%20027.jpg

Pics takes 12,000 KMs ago as you can see.
BJ74%202006%20028.jpg

BJ74%202006%20032.jpg

BJ74%202006%20046.jpg

BJ74%202006%20047.jpg

BJ74%202006%20048.jpg

Stone, your destiny is calling!!
You set it free and it's trying to come back to you...:hillbilly:

Stone, your destiny is calling!!
You set it free and it's trying to come back to you...:hillbilly:

I really, really, really wish, Norm! :) Sarah just finished her Masters and has landed her first job...but unfortunately, we're nowhere near another Cruiser yet. :( The right time will come...

Nick...all the best in the sale. She's a good truck just trying to find the right home. I know she will treat her eventual permanent owner well. I wish I were that person, but don't have the $$$ to make it happen. Take care.

:beer:

Stuck

I'm tring to solve my truck issues, I love my truck but the rust is so bad it has become unusable. Would like to take a look at this one...

Garry

Here is a pic from the other night when I was out exlporing and checking out a fishing spot with some friends. Was a bit mucky out, and tons of wildlife (deer, elk, moose, bear, etc...). safari in my own backyard.

may30_exploring.jpg

If only the steering wheel was on the other side...
Good luck with your sale.
Peter

To be honest, the RHD drive is a non issue really.
Anyone in Canada that has driven one for awhile all agree. I don't think I have heard of anyone complaining about it after driving one for a week or more. My girlfriend drives it around with no issues.

The bigger issue for you would be importing.
Its only 19 years old right now. Not quite old enough yet for the US (to bad).
Some people import them (not sure how, or through what loophole), but if anyone from the US wanted it, it would be up to them. As far as I am aware it's a no go (other than for parts).

Cheers,
Nick.

Here are a few more pics from my hiking trip his weekend. About 55KMs of backroads to the trailhead. The ponds beside the road (40KM's up) were so high they were running down the road eroding it. Thought I would post the pics. Using the truck, but not abusing. :) Man I love this truck.

The ponds beside the road started poring unto the road with the high water.
Was nice and even, but eventually it started moving to the one side of the road and washing it out.
creek_road_1.jpg

About 1ft off camber here (give or take).
Trying to stay away from the left where the water carved it out about 2 ft deep. Lots of fun.
creek_road_2.jpg

Now its nice and level again for a few hundred meters.
creek_road_3.jpg

Trade

I'm still interested in some kind of a trade with cash on top :)....

Garry

It is sad to see these vehicles leave their owners, hopefully it goes to a good home!

Bump for a really nice truck, which I've seen. I know Nick and he is as honest and forthright as anyone you could ever meet. He really looks after his stuff and if I was wanting to buy a 74 I'd probably buy this one. It's well worth a look.

Hey Nick, how far do you have to tow the suzukis? Do you have a trailer or would you pull them directly? I might be able to help you out on this....send me a PM....

Just checking in Nick...I hope this truck is getting the attention it deserves...it's a nice unit....

I'm bumping this one last time...I have nothing to gain by it, but as I said this is a really nice, well looked after truck and very worthwhile to look at.

Thanks guys.
Guess we will see what happens.
Might end up keeping the truck, which is a okay with me. :)
I guess no on is interested in the 70 series right now.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom