Spare Tire Carrier that bolts to Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If these were ever to surface again, whoever decides to makes it... they've got my money.

Flank again kudos to your enginuity!

Wilco Tiregate Bumper can be modified to bolt onto the stock Land Cruiser 80 series rear bumper. Perhaps other years/series with pintle hitch mounts too. Bolts right over the existing bumper through the four existing bolt holes for the Pintle Hitch and it's very solid. I ran this setup over the Mojave Road and it worked flawlessly. Has wing pieces with end caps welded on to provide a full rear bar for protection. Carries up to a 37" tire and eliminates the low hanging flaw of the Wilco bumper in its stock, hitch mounted format. You can still mount any of the Wilco accessories to the bumper such as jerry cans, hi-lift mounts, cooler racks, etc. Also, this setup won't interfere with the stock towing hitch. Let me know if you want to know the details of how I modified it.

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

I'd like to know what modifications you made and which base model you started with.

I'd like to know what modifications you made and which base model you started with.
The comparable base model they sell now would be Hitchgate Universal Tire Carrier, Offset. I started by taking the dimensions of the pintle hitch bolt holes which lie under the plastic cover on my LX450, then copied the holes onto the base of the Wilco bumper, drilled out the holes, then bolted it on. It is very solid. Two of the bolts thread in, two of them require a nut on the back side. The swing out arm covers up the heads of the bolts when closed. I also welded wings on the end of the bumper and capped of the square pipe, then painted. I no longer use this bumper on my vehicle so it's stored in my shop, but I will be there on Monday and can post some close up detailed photos that show how it bolts on.

The comparable base model they sell now would be Hitchgate Universal Tire Carrier, Offset. I started by taking the dimensions of the pintle hitch bolt holes which lie under the plastic cover on my LX450, then copied the holes onto the base of the Wilco bumper, drilled out the holes, then bolted it on. It is very solid. Two of the bolts thread in, two of them require a nut on the back side. The swing out arm covers up the heads of the bolts when closed. I also welded wings on the end of the bumper and capped of the square pipe, then painted. I no longer use this bumper on my vehicle so it's stored in my shop, but I will be there on Monday and can post some close up detailed photos that show how it bolts on.

That would be great, thanks for taking the time.

Spare Tire Carrier that bolts to Bumper - Updated with Pics

Just got my MIG welder, and after some projects for the :princess:, I am planning to fab a swingout tire carrier to bolt onto the stock bumper / Crossmember, mainly via the 4 pintle hitch holes. I will most likely have to drill one or two extra support mounts off to the side to carry the weight. But working on basic design now. I plan to incorporate a receiver into the design to tow my M101 trailer, as the Valley hitch is WAY too low, I have to run a 6" riser to tow it right now. I don't plan on any heavy towing, the M101 tows very easy.

Has anyone tried this before off of the bumper? Results?

This is why I love this forum. I just picked up a used Wilco for 200$ and am planning on doing pretty much the same thing with a home made sub par hack job rear bumper of my own. With the pintle hitch mount idea I might be utilizing the stock bumper. Great job and thanks for the idea. I'm pretty much in the strapped category for cash so I figured it would be an inexpensive way to carry a 35" tire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom