Spare Tire Carrier that bolts to Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spindle came with grease fitting installed, bottom grease seal and top grease cap, which will all get added when I get the paint done.

Seriously though, I doubt I will use the Zerk. I don't think I need to have like 1 1/2 cups of grease in this thing - overkill. I will do a good job of greasing the bearings and leave it at that. As this is intended to be removable, I may even make a practice of leaving the base bar installed and just removing the swingout portion - might be easier than unbolting from the cross member.

Spindle came with grease fitting installed, bottom grease seal and top grease cap, which will all get added when I get the paint done....
That's what I figured - will add the finishing touch!

...Seriously though, I doubt I will use the Zerk. I don't think I need to have like 1 1/2 cups of grease in this thing - overkill. I will do a good job of greasing the bearings and leave it at that. As this is intended to be removable, I may even make a practice of leaving the base bar installed and just removing the swingout portion - might be easier than unbolting from the cross member.
Nice to be able to add grease that way, though - not quite so messy.

Excellent work. I need to learn how to weld to be able to do jobs like this. Let us know how it holds up after some offroad trips. top notch!

Ross

Flank --

Very nice work indeed. I have a similar setup on my truck except my spindle bolts to the frame rail like many other home-fabbed carriers. I used the exact same spindle as you and I only use it when I go wheeling (which is not as often as I'd like). I just greased up the bearings so that when I remove the carrier for in-town driving I don't have the big greasy mess. Before you finish it off with paint, think about adding a hi-lift carrier. Even if you don't carry it often, it is a nice touch, easily-added, and it is nice to get it out of the cargo area or roof rack when you go wheeling.

Great job... keep it up.

:beer:

Hats off to a creative and effective build utilizing your existing bumper ~ looks great. :cheers:

Curious about your military trailer - any details on it?

Curious about your military trailer - any details on it?

Trailer is a 1953 US spec M101 3/4 ton. Will hold about 3.5k on road, 1.5K off road. Originally came with 34" 9.00-16 NDT tires, those are hard to find for under $200 now, so put on some newer Michelin X 9.00-16 that are 37". I love that trailer!

this is one cool project. at least you didnt have to disturb the integrity of the cruiser's body or frame. that looks heavy duty and will hold any size of tires. can't wait till you show us your paint job. are you putting a fiberglass tire cover too?:cheers::bounce::bounce2:

Awesome overall build! That's exactly what I've been wanting for my truck, as I don't want to replace the whole rear bumper........

Point of curiosity: I drive an '03 LX470 as a DD, and it has an interesting setup with the hidden trailer hitch. The rear bumper has a setup much like my 80 (with the 4-bolt pattern in the center of the bumper), except on the LX, there's a square hole in the middle of the bolts that accepts a factory sleeve / back up chain setup (see photos.) Once bolted in place, the sleeve accepts a standard hitch insert. Accordingly, from a ground clearance perspective, I'm wondering if the sleeve could be incorporated into our factory 80 bumpers to accept a standard hitch insert, thereby alleviating the need for a receiver to protrude below the bumper?........I haven't studied the rear cross member from the back side, so I may be talking out of my butt; however, if this could be incorporated into the design, it might prove to be a slightly tidier overall package........just a thought.

In any event, I go back to my original statement: in it's present form, you've done an OUTSTANDING job of both design and fabrication, and I hope to closely duplicate your setup in the near future (that is, of course, unless you want to start producing these.....hint, hint....)
2003 LX470 trailer hitch.JPG
2003 LX470 trailer hitch (1).JPG
Receiver hitch.jpg

My aim on this project was to have the minimal destruction of the stock setup, it can be removed and the only evidence is two 7/16" holes off to the side. This setup does not require any actual cutting / welding on the vehicle.

Without having seen a LX or 100 series bumper in person and judging by your pictures, i would say the that LX rear crossmember looks much more stout than the 80, indeed it would have to be to get tested and DOT'd.

People have done this with their 80 rear x members, but usually incorporate additional plating on the bumper and frame mounted reinforcement from the rear (Usually 2" square stock spanning the frame rails, welded to the sleeve. I have seen one or two without, but I don't know I would go that route without reinforcing, as you are cutting 2 1/2 inch hole in the cross member to do so. Ok for light duty, not for towing, IMHO. Also does not give any lateral reinforcement. If I were to do it, I would either bolt or weld 1/4 inch to each side of the cross member, and make sure that gussets were welded in.

Again, with that setup, you are altering the stock configuration with cutting and welding, which I wanted to avoid at this point.

where did you source the spingle and locking latch from? also interested in one if you start making them for others.

Last edited:
where did you source the spingle and locking latch from? also interested in one if you start making them for others.

Posts 23 and 46. We'll see if I can produce them at some point. May draw up plans for replication as well at some point.

Reviving an old thread because I'm still not sure why no vendors are producing this. As much as I'd love to have a steel bumper I don't have the funds for it now but would love to have a tire carrier to accommodate larger tire. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I watched this thread for a while, but ultimately it seemed nothing ever came of it.

I have seen a few people using the Hitchgate by Wilco Off-road. Hitchgate™ Spare Tire Carrier | Wilco Offroad

I've thought about getting one of these. I've got a Subaru outback that this would work for as well. Not sure how much it rattles though.

Reviving an old thread because I'm still not sure why no vendors are producing this. As much as I'd love to have a steel bumper I don't have the funds for it now but would love to have a tire carrier to accommodate larger tire. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I watched this thread for a while, but ultimately it seemed nothing ever came of it.

I have seen a few people using the Hitchgate by Wilco Off-road. Hitchgate™ Spare Tire Carrier | Wilco Offroad

I've thought about getting one of these. I've got a Subaru outback that this would work for as well. Not sure how much it rattles though.
Try this link:

AJIK Spare Tire Carrier 2015 Group Buy

My mistake. I knew Wits End bought out AJIK. Never realized that these made it into production. Thanks.

This was my thread. I never had the time to make more than 7 of em - all sold, so they are out there. Josh from AJIK made an evolution of them, but I don't think he made them for long - tough it is tough to make the economics work. I paid for materials when I built them, but did not come close to covering my time. Then again I did it all by hand in my garage...

This was my thread. I never had the time to make more than 7 of em - all sold, so they are out there. Josh from AJIK made an evolution of them, but I don't think he made them for long - tough it is tough to make the economics work. I paid for materials when I built them, but did not come close to covering my time. Then again I did it all by hand in my garage...

Well you did a great job and nicely made! To bad it's cost prohibitive. Such a great alternative to a full bumper for us guys on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom