Sorich's Humble Build Thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update on my truck.

It started making a new and subtle hum at speed a couple weeks ago - I tried diagnosing it myself but couldn't tell where it was coming from apart from the front end. Brought it in to my local shop, and it turns out my front diff is toast. AAA upgraded membership, and I've got a free tow up to Slee.

It was an arduous and unexpected decision making process - After getting really close to deciding to re-gear and lock the front and back while it is up there, I ultimately decided against it with the help of Ben's advice. Instead, this is what I had them do:
  • Front Toyota Diff & gears (upgraded from the stock '98 2-pinion to the later (stronger) 4-pinion version.
  • Front axles (they had been flinging grease since I got the truck, and I knew it was probably time)
  • Front ball joints (they found some play)
  • Front steering rack (I had been noticing sloppy steering when on some of the gnarlier trails last season)
While the work was being done, I got some recommendations on body shops, as I've been delaying cleaning up a small (1/2") patch of bubbling rust just above the windshield, which had been replaced aftermarket by the previous owner. Now the cracked windshield has been removed and I'm awaiting word from the body shop on the severity of the rust damage (and required repair) before having a new OEM Lexus windshield installed.

I also am waiting for the new front wind deflector for the Bump-it Offroad roof rack to be powder coated, and have a few parts on order for when I finally have it back:
  • Front Runner Quick-release Tent Mounts
  • Rear rotors (noticed the inside of them had been scoured when I did the pads)
  • Rear bushings
  • Front passenger side corner lamp (damaged last year at HIH8)
The last major item I plan to order is a set of new accumulators (spheres) for my AHC suspension. I'm a really big fan of this system, and once I learned the ins and the outs of it, it became pretty straightforward for me to maintain, but I know my accumulators are at end of life, so I'm going to replace them. Deciding between Japanese stock OEM on eBay, WTV-UK, or Pleiades (also in UK). Hoping to make a decision and pull the trigger in the next few days.

Once all this is done, it'll be time to mount the tent and hit the trails with the family - Should be fun!

Last edited:
Also, I finally got around to adjusting my break pedal height as an attempt to avoid a master cylinder rebuild. Spongy brakes are completely gone! They are like new after 10 minutes or so fiddling around with the height. Can’t believe I didn’t try that sooner - what an upgrade.

Curious what height you aimed for?
Didyou follow specs from the OE service manuals?

Hello!!!! I was the guy who travelled from MI to buy your stock tires. How is it going with your LX-470? Any new mods? Have you considered doing HIH? We've been enjoying the heck out of our LC. A few mods since I last saw you to make her a little more offroad worthy. That's funny you put your pic on your profile, I thought I recognized you!

Jinkees! New rack, front axles, ball joints and front diff?!? That must have been a tough moment when the bill was presented!

Can't wait to hear more about your experience replacing the globes...
Yeah it wasn't a fun moment, but I'm glad I did it. I hope to keep this truck for a while, and there was a night and day difference in feel and handling after getting it done.

As for the globes, the bad news is that after trying a couple of times, I haven't been able to complete a successful install. AHC keeps flashing and going to Low, or seems to be fine, but drives like the springs and shocks were replaced by cinder blocks. I'm back to my old globes at the moment and having intermittent issues with AHC flashing or one of the front corners dropping to low. Most of the time it's fine, but this has been ongoing for a few months now. This has persisted after several fluid flushes to try to make sure there are no air bubbles in the lines.
Curious what height you aimed for?
Didyou follow specs from the OE service manuals?
I'm sorry - I don't have anything useful for you here. I started going based off a thread here on MUD, but ultimate just did final adjustments based on "feel" because I was having a hard time getting a consistent hight measurement. All I can say is verrrrry small adjustments make a big difference.
Hello!!!! I was the guy who travelled from MI to buy your stock tires. How is it going with your LX-470? Any new mods? Have you considered doing HIH? We've been enjoying the heck out of our LC. A few mods since I last saw you to make her a little more offroad worthy. That's funny you put your pic on your profile, I thought I recognized you!
Hey hey! Hope those tires worked well for you! I'm still on my K02's I replaced them with.

At this point the biggest mods I have are SCS F5 wheels, Bump It Offroad roof rack (aluminum and steel low profile, no longer available) and sliders. This year I intend to put my suspension issues behind me (contemplating Icon Stage III via Slee Offroad), upgrade the stereo and head unit with something that has wireless Apple CarPlay, and possibly some other small stuff like diff breathers, a vinyl hood blackout, and a 40W GMRS radio install. I also have a new hood on order from some previous hail damage.

I hope to get out on the trails a good amount this year!

Quick update.

I’ve made some progress recently.
  • Replaced all 8 spark plugs using Toyota parts.
  • Replaced all 8 ignition coils using Denso parts. I have no record confirming this had ever been done, and 6 of the 8 were bad in one way or another (hard rubber, cracked plastic, or heavily oxidized or burned plastic
  • Cleaned the MAF sensor, intake manifold, throttle body, and all the air intake hoses. It was pretty dirty in there!
  • Replaced the fuel filter that is inside the engine compartment. This was just because the part was cheap and the filter is 20+ years old with 178k miles worth of fuel run through it. Easy to do, so why not?
  • Replaced the fuel pressure regulator. One of those rumored mpg savers for an older truck... we’ll see
  • Discovered a little weeping from the passengers side valve cover gasket. I’ve heard it’s common for the valve cover bolts to loosen over time (or the rubber gasket a to shrink), and that a little re-torque can buy you a few years. Re-torqued and will keep an eye on it.
  • Discovered my PCV valve assembly is very loose. I have no record of this ever being replaced, so I’m going to replace the valve, hose, and grommet.
  • After all this and a little bit of fuel system cleaner, I’ve reset my ECU by disconnecting the battery for 30+ minutes, and I’m going to see if there is any gain in MPG after a tank or two
Also... The truck will be heading to Slee and Applewood Body Shop in a couple weeks. A new hood at the body shop to take care of some hail carnage, and an ICON Stage 3 kit at Slee along with a wheel bearing service for the front. Full AHC delete as well. I have relatively new King springs that are a great AHC upgrade that will be available once that’s done. I’m excited to see what the ICON kit does to the truck!

Last edited:
Congrats on some exciting new upgrades! How are you going to set up the suspension? More lift? Larger wheels/tires?
Thanks! I’m sticking with the 285/75/r16 KO2’s and I’ve got the SCS F5 wheels that I put on recently and will be keeping. The lift will be around 2.5” - 3” with OME 2860’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom