Solid-state Replacement for Mech. Voltage regulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I sent a note to Wagner, asking for details about the W095-04, thinking that I would be able to mount it up where my mechanical unit is and change out the connector.

The president (!) sent me a reply, and informed me that the photo of the W095-03 is wrong - they are now shipping a solid-state version! So I ordered one up. It will be a few weeks before I can get to my FJ40 to do the install, but I'll give you a photo now. I'm quite excited ;)

Cool.

I see that one is for a 1969 to 1972 FJ4#. (W095-03)

:beer:

Last edited:
I would buy a solid state WO95-03, but donno how to hook the wires up? Suggestions?

I finally installed the W095-03 in my 7/69 this morning. The existing harness connectors fit perfectly. No surprises, no drama, and best of all, no more overcharging! The highest reading I saw on the voltmeter was 14.0, 13.5 is more typical ... way better than the swings up to 15.3 or more that I would see with the mechanical... yay.

Can someone post a pics of the voltage regulator for a 69 landcruiser. I cant seem to find mine, it looks like its on the firewall but I want to change mine out its putting out like 14.5 volts i want something more reliable.

Matt

Well, Transpo Electronics was bought by WAI Global and finding the voltage regulators was a painful process. So I am posting the link so you can see the Transpo voltage regulators currently made as a replacement for Denso voltage regulators.

Denso Voltage Regulators

The link below will take you to all the VR manufacturers they make a replacement for. If you click on an alternator type in the right column it will show the VR for that type of alternator.

All Voltage Regulators

Last edited:
where can i pick up a W095-03 also what is the maximum voltage my alternator can put out without frying the battery?

Also are the stock regulators on a 69 adjustable? If so how do you adjust them. I think i just want to change it to something more reliable.

Matt

14.5 at the battery seems about right? Maybe a fuzz high.
What do you think is un-reliable about your current setup?

And to answer your ? the stock regulator is adjustable. The info to adust them is in the FSM.

If you look further up in the thread (back a page, now) you'll find the URL for Wagner; order direct from them by emailing the contact us address.

The mechanical regulator can be adjusted, but I have always found the process to be very fiddly. I think 14.5 at the battery is a touch high, but not awful. Mine was regularly going over 15v, which makes lots of things unhappy, including modern electronics that expect to see 13.8v ...

Hoping one of the Wizards on MUD will give us the number for a '77

Don't know if any of you need this, but I just picked up a solid state VR from AutoZone for my 78. They didn't even offer the mechanical one. Cost me around $20, plugs right in, and haven't had a problem out of it yet.

S/F

Moose

Did you even look at the Wagner catalog? I'm guessing W095-10 (green plug).

Yes I even looked at the Wagner catalog. But I was responding to the site that was referenced and it didn't list it. And yes, that is the crossover number, if available.

Here is info I had previously gleaned:

Wagner Regulator Cross Reference for Nippondenso Regulators

www.wagneralt.com/catalog/books/W2008-09.pdf page 23 starts the Land Cruiser stuff.

Wagner Alternators & Supplies, Inc.
Tel: 909/465-1950
Fax: 909/465-5032
Wagner Alternator and Supplies, Inc.

69-72 FJ40 w/ Nippondenso 026000-811 = Wagner W095-03. This is the screw terminal regulator!

73-76 FJ40 w/Nippondenso 026000-2370 or 71 = Wagner W095-04. This is the 3 pin square white connector. One pin on top, two on bottom like an alternator connector.

77-78 FJ40 w/Nippondenso 026000-2950 = Wagner W095-10 = Transpo IN568. This is the 3 pin square green connector. One pin on top, two on bottom like an alternator connector.

79-80 FJ40 w/Nippondenso 026000-2960 or 3190 = Wagner W095-11 or Wagner W095-06. This is the 6 pin oval green connector.

81-84 FJ40 w/Nippondenso 026000-4050 or 4051 = Wagner W095-18. This is the 6 pin round green connector.

They also list the following:

71-77 FJ40 w/Nippondenso 026000-2432 = Wagner W095-06. This is a 6 pin square connector with the .250 pins. (Like a wiper switch connector)

1978 FJ40 Voltage Regulator

FYI to all; I spent the last few days looking for a replacement voltage regulator for my 78 FJ40; 3 spade green plug. The wagner number was W095-10. Any how I checked Autozone, Orileys, Napa ...and all had various ones but nothing with the proper plug (to plug directly in, it was always a little off). Anyhow I went through WAI Global, www.waiglobal.com, called them and was given a distrubutor in Houston, TX. called Houston Warehouse. They were great!! Very helpful and can cross any Denso number for starters, alternators and regulators. My regulator ended up costing $15. The contact number is 1-800-392-3332, talk w/ Lou (female), she was great!:)
Hope this helps.

FYI to all; I spent the last few days looking for a replacement voltage regulator for my 78 FJ40; 3 spade green plug. The wagner number was W095-10. Any how I checked Autozone, Orileys, Napa ...and all had various ones but nothing with the proper plug (to plug directly in, it was always a little off). Anyhow I went through WAI Global, www.waiglobal.com, called them and was given a distrubutor in Houston, TX. called Houston Warehouse. They were great!! Very helpful and can cross any Denso number for starters, alternators and regulators. My regulator ended up costing $15. The contact number is 1-800-392-3332, talk w/ Lou (female), she was great!:)
Hope this helps.

As a fellow '78 owner, I would love to know what p/n you ended up with?

HOLY Thread Revival

Just wanted to express my appreciation to those that contributed to this thread over the years. excellent information. I just called Wagner and purchased a W095-004 for my 75 FJ40.
I wanted to solve the needle bounch problem or try to anyway.
Prices are higher now, the little bugger was close to $60.
Thanks
Gary

You just ordered and haven't received it yet, correct? Oddly enough, I ordered one several months back and received the standard points-type regulator. Since it's going on a truck that I'm going to sell, I didn't raise a stink about it, but I was disappointed none the less.

The W095-10 that I purchased from them for my '78 several years ago is solid-state and works like a charm.

You may want to verify that they are sending you the electronic regulator, if that's what you're after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom