SoCal GenIII Vortec Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that's correct John, here's a picture of the pass. side... if you need some more picts let me knowView attachment 1265342

Gil, you're is an EROD crate motor right? That manifold is not the same as my 2004 Silverado manifold. Mine exits further behind and lower on the passenger side:
image.jpeg

Just talked to the ref of the phone and the first thing out of his mouth was to not attempt tobdonthe swap it wont work. He was trying very hard to discourage me. Said no way it will fit. Said air intake wont fit. Said exhaust could not be changed in any way. He did reccommend the erod.

Just talked to the ref of the phone and the first thing out of his mouth was to not attempt tobdonthe swap it wont work.

:rolleyes:

now you know which REF not to go to

Last edited:
Just talked to the ref of the phone and the first thing out of his mouth was to not attempt tobdonthe swap it wont work. He was trying very hard to discourage me. Said no way it will fit. Said air intake wont fit. Said exhaust could not be changed in any way. He did reccommend the erod.

Which ref did you talk to?

Best thing you can do is take the time to physically visit your local REF prior to taking your rig, and ask away...

If you can, record everything that you talked about... take copious notes and get a card from every ref that you talk to noting the date and time you talked to them. Most will be annoyed by this but when it comes to getting mixed messages if you have the notes and proof to backup stuff then they cant complain.

Seriously, go see Jack Bernstein, the ref at pierce college, word has it he is the guy who does TLC's stuff and will give you the straight poop. Also The Ref at Oxnard City is really good and fair too.

P.S. I have received BAR stickers from both.

Dyno

Like the build buddy. I'm mid build myself but was wondering if the ref said anything about the way your exhaust was routed down from your "illegal" manifolds to your cats. I talked to a ref by me and was told the Y-pipe has to be the stock bends and thought to myself, WTF mang, that s*** can't happen. Just wondering what you guys have heard?

Seriously, go see Jack Bernstein, the ref at pierce college, word has it he is the guy who does TLC's stuff and will give you the straight poop. Also The Ref at Oxnard City is really good and fair too.

P.S. I have received BAR stickers from both.

Dyno

Sounds good. I may do that. Which manifolds did you use? TLC uses EROD crate motors, which are pre-certified, so their situation isn't exactly the same as mine.

Like the build buddy. I'm mid build myself but was wondering if the ref said anything about the way your exhaust was routed down from your "illegal" manifolds to your cats. I talked to a ref by me and was told the Y-pipe has to be the stock bends and thought to myself, WTF mang, that s*** can't happen. Just wondering what you guys have heard?

Mine didn't say anything about the y-pipe or the bends, he just said I need the manifolds that came with the engine.

It's been over a month since I've been back on the road and I've put about 1400 miles on the rig. So far, so good!

This weekend I took it on its first off-road trip, to Monanche Meadows in the Southern Sierras. My only disappointment is with the stock FJ62 radiator. I don't think it's adequate. Temps got up to 222 deg climbing the steep grade on the eastern side of the Sierras, and it was only about 80 deg outside. So I'm going to upgrade the radiator. I could see myself in an overheating situation with summer heat in so cal deserts.

Otherwise, I'm pleased. On the highway, it's got more than enough power to maintain highway speed even up a grade with my rooftop tent and roof rack bucking a headwind. Under those circumstances, I couldn't always maintain speed while in 4th gear overdrive. When you hit it 80% throttle the tranny will downshift, but I still haven't ever taken the motor past about 4000 rpm, so there's still plenty of power in reserve. So yeah, if I had a 5.3 or 6.0, there would be times when I could maintain speed without downshifting, but the bottom line is that the 4.8 is more than adequate for my needs. I was able to easily pass slower vehicles on the two lane highways, so that was pretty cool.

Off road was pretty awesome also. I only used low range one time. There was plenty of torque in first gear to crawl up some pretty steep stuff in 4H. I would have never gone up some of those sections with the old 3FE in high range.

So all in all, I'm pretty happy. Now I still have to get through the smog certification.

An update on that, I sent the PCM back to Pacific Fabrication yesterday. The O2 and Evap monitors still won't start so they want to check if it was not properly configured. I'm still struggling with whether to hook up the Park/Neutral Switch selector. I may do it just to throw a bone to the Ref as a gesture of good faith so maybe he'll let me slide on the exhaust manifold problem. I'm taking my time, I've got until Noveber 2017 to get it to pass smog, so no rush other than it would be nice to get this behind me.

not sure 222F is not normal for that engine. If you have the stock 4core type OEM radiator....I'm not sure you will do much better than that. Looks like you have a nice fan shroud and based on your pictures I presume you are running the GM fan clutch and GM fan clutch fan? IF the fan clutch is not new you may swap it out. ON my 5.7 I use the GM fan clutch and matching GM radiator fan. May want to check a GM shop manual for the normal op temps from your donor vehicle...I would expect 220F is considered acceptable on the high end (which may not be your expectation or desire) along with the fact if you don't boil over, I know my GM pickup with 6.0 sits on 210F as normal....cooling capacity is different but base temp on it is 210F.

I moved my upper neck like you did and also had higher than desired temps. There was no margin.

In hindsight I think it may not flow as much on the side opposite the inlet & outlet (no more cross flow), so you don't get the full capacity of the radiator.

I ended up going with a custom aluminum dual pass with side tanks to keep the same hose layout.

So far it has worked great.

not sure 222F is not normal for that engine. If you have the stock 4core type OEM radiator....I'm not sure you will do much better than that. Looks like you have a nice fan shroud and based on your pictures I presume you are running the GM fan clutch and GM fan clutch fan? IF the fan clutch is not new you may swap it out. ON my 5.7 I use the GM fan clutch and matching GM radiator fan. May want to check a GM shop manual for the normal op temps from your donor vehicle...I would expect 220F is considered acceptable on the high end (which may not be your expectation or desire) along with the fact if you don't boil over, I know my GM pickup with 6.0 sits on 210F as normal....cooling capacity is different but base temp on it is 210F.

222 deg is too high for the the situation I was in. In the summer, I could be doing the same thing with 100 deg outside instead of 80 deg with more gear on board.

I have the stock clutch fan from the donor engine.

A lot of vortec folks use the griffin radiator. Does anyone know the the difference in cooling capacity from the FJ62 radiator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom