So I bought (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love to hear these kind of stories- another 40 saved from some dip***t.

Call the Cops!

Hey John, the cops haven't called you yet for that theft? $3000? A steal if ever there was one! That looks like a Tiger Top from Specialty Tops. My 74 has one as well. I need to replace the velcro on the inside. That top has held up well for me over the years. What kind of rear bumper is that, with the centered spare? So are ya gonna drive it up for the 45 run? Awesome looking truck. I like it when one of the good guys wins! :beer:

Nice! Rig .Congrats

i had a bra also, put my bezel on top of it . covered my rusty old fenders.:D
cruiser 2 [640x480].jpg

John, congrats on a great score:clap: 100% the right thing to check the bottom end:steer:
Marshall:wrench: my meager experience has found valves stick when a motor with tight clearences sits for extended periods; old oil drains down the valve guides.....motor is then fired up and revved:frown:.....also you will also usually find a bent pushrod or two.........backfiring through the carb is a symptom....run a compression check and find it very low; finding a bent pushrod is a dead giveaway; if the pushrod is not bent you might try the old "rope" trick.......might want to pull the ones to that CYL and roll them on a glass surface to pick up any "wobbling".....ask me how I have found this out:crybaby::bang:

Lou

A most excellent find. Good for you. Y'know, I've got the original late F block from my Pig still sitting in the garage (been rebuilt once)...if you want to put your late F head on it. Of course, a 2F would work just as well.

I may take you up on that. something strange happened. I just did a dicc conversation and got it running perfect. drove home all was good. The next day :rolleyes: I was going down the freeway at about 60-65 and it started pinging. I backed off a bit and it stopped.
when I got off the freeway it stalled and was hard to start, got it going again and it seeded OK.
Well when I started it up a few Hrs later It started knocking but stopped after a min
What wold case that :confused:

So what would cause a valve to stick like that?

It could have been an oiling problem. the oil tub was not pumping oil to the top end. so mark suggested an external oiling system.
So I had a oil line made that goes from the oil sending unit around the block thew the valve cover, to the rocker assembly there i used a 6" loop so i can move the cover out of the way to august the valves it puts out a good bit of oil now.

I can post some pics if you like

I did do a small lift and took off the bra to see how it lookede now it has a shiny nose. The 34 year old paint needs some wax

It could have been an oiling problem. the oil tub was not pumping oil to the top end. so mark suggested an external oiling system.
So I had a oil line made that goes from the oil sending unit around the block thew the valve cover, to the rocker assembly there i used a 6" loop so i can move the cover out of the way to august the valves it puts out a good bit of oil now.

I can post some pics if you like

Here is a pic of the oil line going into the valve

Hey John, the cops haven't called you yet for that theft? $3000? A steal if ever there was one! That looks like a Tiger Top from Specialty Tops. My 74 has one as well. I need to replace the velcro on the inside. That top has held up well for me over the years. What kind of rear bumper is that, with the centered spare? So are ya gonna drive it up for the 45 run? Awesome looking truck. I like it when one of the good guys wins! :beer:

:cheers:Thanks

I relay looking forward to the 45 run :D

The tire carrier is an old K Line, I did a few modifications on it to keep it from rattling and coming loose and dragging on the ground. It's very tight now but a pain to open. I plan on putting a aux tank and factery tire holder.

Ya done good, calico! Nice find! 40 mania has got a grip on you! You're a hopeless case now, just like the rest of us! Did they tell you there is no known cure for this affliction?

So what would cause a valve to stick like that?

It could have been an oiling problem. the oil tub was not pumping oil to the top end.

I would also check for a grenaded or loose valve guide, and for a broken down valve stem seal. I've had the latter happen and make my valve stick, and we've seen the former here on Mud recently. Both may be the result of poor oiling, I expect.

DUDE! You snagged a cherry pie, man! When, o when, will I find an undiscovered and undervalued deal like that??

Like the set up for the external oiling system you and Mark set up.......simple but brilliantly effective!; what size line did you use and how did you tap it in?.......please share the dirty details;)

Lou

Like the set up for the external oiling system you and Mark set up.......simple but brilliantly effective!; what size line did you use and how did you tap it in?.......please share the dirty details;)

Lou

Lou, Vic at Hadley was doing these long before I ever came on the cruiser scene, to give you a time reference. Minor variation on the same theme. Put a T fitting on the oil sending unit hole in the block [full oil pressure at this point] and run an external line to the valve cover. Devise a way to get the line thru the cover [some kind of grommet or joint at this point helps, and voila, full oil pressure at the rockers. IMO, this exceeds even the direct oiling system of the 2F.

John's friend Wayne took care of getting the hoses made up at a local speed shop, so I don't know the specs. I suspect they are on the order of 1/8" internally, as was stock.

John has new instructions for further testing to determine the source of the new noise. I suspect he'll report in as time permits.

The timing couldn't be more frustrating tho. As of Friday, I had just finished putting the final tweaks on his carb, and the truck was running like a raped ape!

Best

Mark A.

I would also check for a grenaded or loose valve guide, and for a broken down valve stem seal. I've had the latter happen and make my valve stick, and we've seen the former here on Mud recently. Both may be the result of poor oiling, I expect.

Stems were all checked and seals replaced 2000 miles ago when we put the motor back together. BUT I still suggested a stem seal leak to John as a possibility. Unfortunately, we can't rule out a rod knock yet either, so testing will continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom