Scoop Orientation

• 45deg Towards Hood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 135deg Towards Windscreen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From Air-Flow snorkels of Aus

Important note: Do not turn the Air Ram away from the direction of travel because it will lessen the positive pressure necessary for proper operation. In extreme situation, at speed above 15mph (25km/h) a vacuum may be generated causing irreversible engine damage
Considering that the "bird-feeder" type I'm using currently was for the OEM Toyota snorkel I believe the opening on the rear shouldn't be an issue. I can see a potential for a vacuum situation with a Safari type snorkel head turned to the rear. The bird-feeder doesn't rely on the rear opening as the only inlet. The bottom has a finned opening, similar to a fan to create a bit of a cyclonic flow of air into the head. From what I've read it's to help with separating/filtering of dust/dirt particles by spinning them to the outsides where they don't make their way into the main snorkel airflow.

Considering that the "bird-feeder" type I'm using currently was for the OEM Toyota snorkel I believe the opening on the rear shouldn't be an issue. I can see a potential for a vacuum situation with a Safari type snorkel head turned to the rear. The bird-feeder doesn't rely on the rear opening as the only inlet. The bottom has a finned opening, similar to a fan to create a bit of a cyclonic flow of air into the head. From what I've read it's to help with separating/filtering of dust/dirt particles by spinning them to the outsides where they don't make their way into the main snorkel airflow.

I know nothing about a bird feeder and I have no personal bad snorkel experience just posting AirFlow's position.:meh:

I know nothing about a bird feeder and I have no personal bad snorkel experience just posting AirFlow's position.:meh:
My comment wasn’t meant as argumentative. Sorry if it came across that way. I also believe what AirFlows recommendations are. I’ve always run the head pointed forward.

From Air-Flow snorkels of Aus

Important note: Do not turn the Air Ram away from the direction of travel because it will lessen the positive pressure necessary for proper operation. In extreme situation, at speed above 15mph (25km/h) a vacuum may be generated causing irreversible engine damage

I'm not buying this one bit.

Engine's gunna suck in air no matter which way the snorkel is pointed.

The rear opening on the birdfeeder is actually an outlet, not an inlet.

It's basically a 70 series top hat with a fancy cover.

Air goes in from the bottom and spins around in the hat.

Debris is expelled through small slots in the mushroom and makes its way out the rear opening as pre-filtered air goes down the chute.

I have pictures of mine disassembled when I swapped the guts of the birfeeder to fit my FleaBay dorkel with a larger diameter inlet (do a search for my old dorkel install thread from like 10 years ago)

The 80 series stock air intake set up does the best job of any vehicle I have seen for forging water crossing. To get engine water in a stock set up you need to camp in the water. The only for sure with a snorkel no matter what's on top is cooler intake temps.

80 intake.png

Anyone make a rack mount for NOS bottles?

I want to ghetto fog my snorkel through the sunroof...For science and stuff.

I like Snore-kills. I’m constant on the fence for adding on to the 80. They look cool, are functional, and help in a rollover. :)

But, damn do I NOT miss all the questions about it.

The 80 series stock air intake set up does the best job of any vehicle I have seen for forging water crossing. To get engine water in a stock set up you need to camp in the water. The only for sure with a snorkel no matter what's on top is cooler intake temps.

View attachment 2304064
I had a big improvement in dust getting to the air cleaner. That's the reason I got the snorkel. After 2-3 trips in the desert or occasionally just one trip the air cleaner would need to be cleaned or replaced prior to the snorkel. I'm using an OEM air cleaner and since I've had the snorkel I'm going on year 3 with the same air cleaner. I check it every oil change and it continues to be very clean so I keep using it.

I had a big improvement in dust getting to the air cleaner. That's the reason I got the snorkel. After 2-3 trips in the desert or occasionally just one trip the air cleaner would need to be cleaned or replaced prior to the snorkel. I'm using an OEM air cleaner and since I've had the snorkel I'm going on year 3 with the same air cleaner. I check it every oil change and it continues to be very clean so I keep using it.

I agree our air cleaner is one of the best available. I get a lot of trips without service but I figured it was because I was solo or leading mostly. :) Now I just clean it once a year if it needs it or not.

My first snorkel🥰

P4050273.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, eversince I installed my dorkel, my air filter doesn't get nearly as dirty as it used to :cool:

On a sidenote, it seems the photos in my old dorkel install thread are kaput, so here are a few showing the internals of the 70 top hat and the 80 birdfeeder

As you can see, the fine slots on the inside of the mushroom is where debris is separated as the air spins around

newfjscubasnorkel5.jpg

newfjscubasnorkel6.jpg

newfjscubasnorkel8.jpg

The OEM Birdfeeder has a sealed top and a metal tray that directs the particals out the back door

topperbottomchange2.jpg

topperbottomchange23.jpg

bedlinedbirdfeeder10.jpg

More pix found here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom