Seat position (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m kinda tall for my 80 series/6’4 with long legs/36” inseam. The automatic seat does not really go back or up far enough. Would putting a mechanical base on it help get more distance back and up? Are their other potential solutions?

I think LandTank sold an extension that has helped a lot of taller guys.

If you can find some manual front seats they have much more leg room. Or go different brand with planted seat brackets and bolt them up.

If you aren't married to stock, I adopted Audi seats to mine and they go back almost far enough to touch the back seat. Not a simple mod, but worthwhile to me.

Same here.

I used Audi S4 seats. Im 6'6" with 34 inseam.
The Audi seats go back further than I need, and forward enough for a midget.
They offer s kit if adjustment and support in every other way too.

Two downsides with the Audi seats for me, I'd like them lower to the floor, but got them about a low as possible.
The frame for the seat side bolsters is just a little too narrow for my big boned ass. I need to modify the frame a little

I was in the same spot a year ago or so. I pulled mine out and found that mine were bound up from lack of adjustment from previous owner not adjusting them. Was able to put a wrench on the "screws" and manually set them all the way back. They were better, but still not what I was hoping for. I ended up putting 3rd gen 4runner seats in.
I just picked up a '94 last week with non-power, cloth interior, and I was hoping for the more legroom that everyone talks about. I was disappointed. I wouldn't go thru the pains to switch the bases out for just a very minimal gain. Im not totally convinced that there is now that Ive had and sat in both. No seat extension "Kits" for non power that I could find either.
The Audi seats that have been mentioned are really nice, just wasn't in the budget last year.

I just picked up a '94 last week with non-power, cloth interior, and I was hoping for the more legroom that everyone talks about. I was disappointed. I wouldn't go thru the pains to switch the bases out for just a very minimal gain

I had a hdj81 VX with manual seats.
The seats were horrible in every way for someone my height and build.
Not worth spending time on then if you're a tall dude.

Edit:
They certainly didn't offer any great amount of leg room

May start with the land tank seat extension and see if the extra 2” is enough for the lower cost? If that doesn’t work what Audi seats do you recommend? I saw a video where ICON put BMW 7 series seats in the 80 series they built for Joe Rogan, but I dont think he is as tall as me or know if the BMW seats adjust as much as Audi?

For the Audi seats, I think mine were from a 2013 S4. I will say, they weren't exactly a drop-in fit, but not many things would be. The Cruiser floor is kinda unnecessarily complicated.

The wiring was pretty easy once I figured out that there were a few clusters of wires and most of them didn't matter... You definitely want to figure out which ones belong to the air bags before getting to far. Other than that, it was basically power and ground for the motors; power and ground for the courtesy light for the back seat (in the back of the Audi seat - unnecessary, but kinda cool) and maybe 3 wires for the seat heaters. The heaters need a controller, but they seem to be pretty similar across the VW/Audi/etc range, so I just used a pair of little modules from VW that have a little 5 level rotary switch.

If you decide to go through with it, message me and I'll dig up my notes.

As for what's comfortable, you could go waste someone's time at one of those Car Max outfits and just sit in a bunch of used cars and try them out. The salesman doesn't have to know why.

I was in the same spot a year ago or so. I pulled mine out and found that mine were bound up from lack of adjustment from previous owner not adjusting them. Was able to put a wrench on the "screws" and manually set them all the way back. They were better, but still not what I was hoping for. I ended up putting 3rd gen 4runner seats in.
I just picked up a '94 last week with non-power, cloth interior, and I was hoping for the more legroom that everyone talks about. I was disappointed. I wouldn't go thru the pains to switch the bases out for just a very minimal gain. Im not totally convinced that there is now that Ive had and sat in both. No seat extension "Kits" for non power that I could find either.
The Audi seats that have been mentioned are really nice, just wasn't in the budget last year.
🧐 I’m 6’4” and have the manual cloth seats that I’ve swapped in.
I’m pretty sure it’s about a 2 inch difference over power seats.

And There a direct bolt in.
For me, it was totally worth it.
And you get rid of the crappy leather😎

🧐 I’m 6’4” and have the manual cloth seats that I’ve swapped in.
I’m pretty sure it’s about a 2 inch difference over power seats.

And There a direct bolt in.
For me, it was totally worth it.
And you get rid of the crappy leather😎
Glad you're happy with them, I think they still suck. Sit in a 3rd gen runner seat and tell me they're not better than the cloth seat.

Another thing with being tall I don't like is the center console height in the 80 vs the Lx, but that's another thread.... lol

Last edited:
May start with the land tank seat extension and see if the extra 2” is enough for the lower cost? If that doesn’t work what Audi seats do you recommend? I saw a video where ICON put BMW 7 series seats in the 80 series they built for Joe Rogan, but I dont think he is as tall as me or know if the BMW seats adjust as much as Audi?

There's a thread here that compiles a whole lot of retrofit seat options, and lots of detail on what it took for installations. It's worth searching up.

I used 2014 Audi S4 seats.

Most the German cars of the same era use very similar style seats.
They seem to be designed/ proportioned more for bigger European stature vs Japanese stuff, that seems to be designed around a shorter, smaller Asian stature.

Up-spec models will obviously have more features, or you can search for basic, manual versions

Glad you're happy with them, I think they still suck. Sit in a 3rd gen runner seat and tell me they're not better than the cloth seat.

Another thing with being tall I don't like is the center console height in the 80 vs the Lx, but that's another thread.... lol
You said you were not convinced there was more leg room. but you comparing to your already modified LX with 3rd gen runner seats so you don't really know do you :doh:
I have compared them to Land Cruiser power seats side buy side and you do get 2 more inches with them and they bolt right up that was the point.

And when your ready to get rid of the seat that SUCK in your 94 there highly sought after 😜

I’m 6’6” with a 36” inseam. My seat brackets were design 1 right after the purchase.

I’ve owned multiple 80s who all got the kit. I find that the amount of increase is fine.

Cloth seats fall short of the modified electric seats by about a half inch in travel.

The manual, cloth seats in great condition out of my 93 went to the dump. Couldn't give them away.

But, to be fair, I cut up the feet and used them for my Audi seat install
My guess is that cloth seats are more the norm over there. Where here there very rare. And there definitely sought after here.

I literally installed landtanks kit last weekend. I'm 6' with 34" inseam. One of the best comfort upgrades I've done. I've got the seat about 1.5" back from the original position.

I’m 6’6” with a 36” inseam. My seat brackets were design 1 right after the purchase.

I’ve owned multiple 80s who all got the kit. I find that the amount of increase is fine.

Cloth seats fall short of the modified electric seats by about a half inch in travel.
On your product does it move the seat back 2” or up 2” or up and back? I saw a simpler looking 1.5” riser that just bolts under the current seat posts from Desertdoesit that requires no modifications. Just trying to determine if that will be enough and if simpler is better?

6’4” and 36” inseam, my manual seats have been just fine.

IMG_2262.jpeg

On your product does it move the seat back 2” or up 2” or up and back? I saw a simpler looking 1.5” riser that just bolts under the current seat posts from Desertdoesit that requires no modifications. Just trying to determine if that will be enough and if simpler is better?
With my kit the seat still bolts to the floor in the same position. What I did was modify the rail so it operates in the same range but 2” back. No loss of head room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom