Smacked a moose a couple of days ago... I love my ARB. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W

Yep, it's true. I just don't care that much.
Threads
This is kinda long. If you know me, that will not surprise you. ;)

This makes the second Moose that has tried to occupy the same space as one of my Cruisers on a dark and icy road. The first time, just over 13 years ago it was just outside of Whitehorse Yukon. My FJ62 with just enough front bumper to mount a winch on. It was an ugly event. Moose turned tail at the last instant and my driver side headlights hit him in the ass at about 50 mph (as a guess). The impact took out grill, hood, headlights, core support, battery, radiator and even bracketry on the engine. Also crumpled my fender into the tire and eliminated any steering ability. With no steering I followed him down the embankment. I managed to not roll, but when the front tires hit a berm at the bottom, both front springs bent. When the wrecker arrived, we used his hook to pull the sheet metal off the tire and I drove back up to the pavement. But that was the last time that rig moved under it's own power except on and off of the trailer when I made the trip back to bring it home.

I'm recounting that tale to contrast with what happened this time around.

Heading for the Trailhead early Saturday Morning in my '80. About 0830 and black as Hillary's heart on a narrow, winding, wooded two lane. I was following another rig so only had the low beams on and no aux lighting. A young moose (probably 2 years old) stepped off of the 4-5 foot tall snow berm with just enough time before we contacted to stumble/run a couple of steps. I was doing about 50 mph and had just an instant to feel the antilocks start to kick and to just barely begin to contemplate any evasive action I could take (there was none to be had). I smacked him square and broadside with my ARB. He flew and slid on across the road up against the berm on the other side. as I managed to get stopped just a little bit past the point where we met.

Now for the contrast...
I have always been a big proponent of ARB bumpers. I am a walking ad and salesman for them. Here in Alaska for a road/trail rig, or even just a road rig, I consider them a requirement without any real peer. What sets them apart from 99% of the other bumpers you will see is that they provide complete coverage, side to side and top to bottom. In my world, with moose and more F350s sharing my roads than Subaru outbacks that coverage is important. Really really important.

The top of the ARB met the moose just about at his hip joint and below his shoulder. But it was high enough up that instead of winding up on my hood and windshield, he stayed in front of me and was thrown away by the impact. Based on other moose collisions I have seen/repaired/ been involved with, if I had not had the ARB on the rig, even if I did have one of the lower bumpers that are far too common now, I would have damaged everything on the front end from the radiator forward. At least. And the moose on the hood and into the windshield would have been very very possible too. Likely even

Instead, I suffered ZERO body damage beyond a scratch in the paint on the leading edge of the hood where one of my horns (mounted externally on the back side of the ABB) came back far enough to contact JUST the paint before rebounding back some.

The upper cross bar of the ARB has a pair of small deformations where my "ARB Intensity" clones where driven into the bar by the moose's belly/ribcage. They are surprisingly stout too btw. Neither light suffered any damage, even as the aluminum shell deformed the steel tube!

There was not absolutely no effect to the truck. The mounting bolts on the top side of the frame rails sheered. The lower ones did not. The bumper is tilted back, seemingly cocked hard where it slips over the front of the frame rails. I have not begun to remove the bumper yet to get it all realigned and remounted, but from what I can see so far, I am pretty confident that the front of the frame rails is/are not bent. Pretty sure that the lower mounting bolts are bent and the area around the captured nuts may be "puckered'. Nothing I can't fix. The part of the bumper that slides over the frame rails may be deformed a bit. Likely is. Again, I expect I can correct it easy enough.

The rest of the bumper is straight and undamaged!

Now, it was a small moose. Gonna guess at only about 600 lbs. And I was not at full highway speed. But I know from experience the sort of damages the rig would have suffered with any other type of bumper. I am not amazed... but I am very very... very very pleased with the performance of the ARB. If it WAS damaged to the point that I had to replace it... I would not care.The cost of a replacement ARB bumper, compared to the cost of all the other components that would have been destroyed if I did not have it on the rig... no comparison. (not to mention that after waiting for Fish and Game to respond and getting everything dealt with, I continued on with my day!

Anyway, the point to this ramble.. I love my ARB bumpers. They WORK! And in my admittedly biased opinion... if you don't have one or something similar on your road or road/trail Cruiser, eventually you will wish you did. ;)

Mark...

Pics.....? Read the whole thing and was disappointed no pics.
My grandkids are like that too. Gotta have pictures to keep their attention. ;)

I have some pics somewhere of the blood covered mangled FJ62 from a few years ago. Can't seem to find them at the moment. Didn't take any pictures of the moose after this encounter. Seen one road kill moose you've seen all them really. The only thing to see on the '80 right now is a bit of tilt to the bumper. Boring.

I'll snap some pics that show what deformation/ damage to the bumper mounting is/may be once I take it off . I had planned on some mods to the bumper anyway, so it will be off for a while and posing for pictures anyway. :)

Mark...

Last edited:
Oxymoron = small moose.

My short time in anchorage where I purchased my truck the moose were never in any great hurry to move out of the neighborhood road. Glad you okay.

Last edited:
Another data point, pics included, with not quite as happy an ending, but demonstrates the significant protection offered by the ARB.
I was near the end of 3 hour trip home from a weekend spent at a historical society convention when I dozed off, crossed through the other lane and woke up when things started getting bumpy as it headed into the opposite ditch. OK, need to get this slowed down and back on the road when...the culvert for a side road showed up before I could execute any evasive action. Hit it pretty squarely at about 50 mph, although it did sheer off the end of the right front axle, with the ARB taking much of the force while acting as a pivot for the truck flipping to a sudden stop, 180 degrees onto the roof and pointing in the opposite direction.
fydxD3.jpg

Considering the forces involved, yeah it bent, but protected a surprising amount of the front of the truck. In this view, it even looks like the grille is salvageable, although it's probably a little damaged around the edges.
fyYJMe.jpg

The left profile has less ARB damage than the right.
S0aHv9.jpg

Overall, given the lack of significant compromise of the engine compartment, it's probably mostly salvageable, but the hood wasn't coming open easily. The seatbelt and airbag protected me (I was able to self-extricate), but the ARB did a lot to limit damage to the truck, all things considered.

Ugh. I'm glad I hit a 600 lbs moose and not a corner of the planet!

Mark...

I very recently totaled my 80 in a freak snow accident with no one around. It doesn't look wildly mangled at first glance, but the more you dig, the more you find. I've thought since - if I had spent the money on a bumper, how would I have fared? In my case, hard to say, but a valid thought. I was sent into a wall on the outside of a downhill turn, the nose taking the brunt.

Which part of AK are you in? I'm from Juneau and have driven the golden loop & beyond a variety of times. We've only had a couple moose sightings here since the glacial recession has allowed some access from the north. If I lived where they were common, a full coverage bumper like ARB would be on my "must" list.

I very recently totaled my 80 in a freak snow accident with no one around. It doesn't look wildly mangled at first glance, but the more you dig, the more you find. I've thought since - if I had spent the money on a bumper, how would I have fared? In my case, hard to say, but a valid thought. I was sent into a wall on the outside of a downhill turn, the nose taking the brunt.

Which part of AK are you in? I'm from Juneau and have driven the golden loop & beyond a variety of times. We've only had a couple moose sightings here since the glacial recession has allowed some access from the north. If I lived where they were common, a full coverage bumper like ARB would be on my "must" list.
An ARB would have set you back about $1300 or less, including shipping. It is an easy hour and a half , maybe two hour install if you have never even thought about putting one on. A LOT cheaper than all of the front end sheet metal and "stuff" that it protects. :(

I'm in Wasilla. I range from Homer to Valdez to Tok to Fairbanks fairly routinely. Further a bit less

Mark...

I love my ARB. Also consider it a must here in Australia, where a kangaroo jumping out in front of you from nowhere on a rural road in dusk/night time is reasonably common. I haven't cleaned up a kangaroo myself, but come close a few times. I'm about to fit brush bars to connect my sliders to the ARB to give me some extra front corner protection.

Mine came from the PO with the ARB non-winch version. This may not have been my first choice (love the Slee short bus look), but I've learned to really like it, especially with the GGM mont plate that allowed the installation of a winch. I've had some close calls with big deer, but not a strike yet. My son was in his '99 F250 super duty a couple of weeks ago and hit a larger doe at 50 mph when ironically enough heading out early to go deer hunting! Took out his lower bumper and PS cooler, which also apparently does the power brakes too on the older 7.3 diesel Ford trucks. Fortunately he was only a mile from home and was able to assess the deer, haul it home, and butcher it after it died roadside soon after the collision (with the blessing of DNR that showed up at 3:45 a.m. out of nowhere!). He was also able to bypass the cooler and get the truck on the road again in about an hour to head back out for the day. Based on the damage that this did to his truck and a stock bumper, I could see the ARB easily surviving a similar situation and saving both body and mechanical damage. Another plus is when I'm out crawling in the PA/VA/WVA area, the trails are tight, so that little push-off on trees that the full bull bar offers (along with a good site line!), has saved my front flares/fenders/lights more than a couple of times. My only real disappointment with the ARB are the weak shackle points (mine are bent from PO), but I have a solution for that coming soon...

I t-boned a newer Ford Ranger at 30 mph in an FZJ80 with an ARB. Guy punched it to get across the road in front of me, but his stoned brain didn't calculate properly.

The impact was enough to bend the Ranger about 2' in the center into a banana shape and crush the cab/bed to the frame.

The arb had a very slight twist. The 80 sheetmetal was wholly unharmed. I was fine.

I saw two live moose roadside during my 2500 mile summer trip last year into into Alaska's interior. Additionally, there were several signs along the Kenai peninsula warning motorists to be wary of moose. The signs also including a tally of how many moose had been killed by collisions during the season. I believe it was over twenty.

Had an ARB on my FJ62 for many years, now have one on the LX 450.

Mine came from the PO with the ARB non-winch version. This may not have been my first choice (love the Slee short bus look), but I've learned to really like it, especially with the GGM mont plate that allowed the installation of a winch. I've had some close calls with big deer, but not a strike yet. My son was in his '99 F250 super duty a couple of weeks ago and hit a larger doe at 50 mph when ironically enough heading out early to go deer hunting! Took out his lower bumper and PS cooler, which also apparently does the power brakes too on the older 7.3 diesel Ford trucks. Fortunately he was only a mile from home and was able to assess the deer, haul it home, and butcher it after it died roadside soon after the collision (with the blessing of DNR that showed up at 3:45 a.m. out of nowhere!). He was also able to bypass the cooler and get the truck on the road again in about an hour to head back out for the day. Based on the damage that this did to his truck and a stock bumper, I could see the ARB easily surviving a similar situation and saving both body and mechanical damage. Another plus is when I'm out crawling in the PA/VA/WVA area, the trails are tight, so that little push-off on trees that the full bull bar offers (along with a good site line!), has saved my front flares/fenders/lights more than a couple of times. My only real disappointment with the ARB are the weak shackle points (mine are bent from PO), but I have a solution for that coming soon...

GGM mont plate this looks like the setup I want. much cleaner

So...with all of the moose mass murders Mark has made....will the gubment try and take our babies? Which one of our constitutional right covers our right to keep and bare ARB bumpers on our automatic (semi-automatic possible for our foreign friends) animal assault wagons?

All joking aside, we're happy you're okay Mark.... but mostly that we didn't lose another Cruiser to that great scrap heap in the sky,.

Oxymoron = small moose.

My short time in anchorage where I purchased my truck the moose were never in any great hurry to move out of the neighborhood road. Glad you okay.
Moose seldom spook and run like hell. Urban moose tend to look at you and ask what you want before sauntering off. Mommy moose stomp you if they think you might bother baby.

IIRC Fish and game says that there are about 400 moose that live in anchorage year round. More move in for the winter.

Mark...

Last edited:
Another plus is when I'm out crawling in the PA/VA/WVA area, the trails are tight, so that little push-off on trees that the full bull bar offers (along with a good site line!), has saved my front flares/fenders/lights more than a couple of times. My only real disappointment with the ARB are the weak shackle points (mine are bent from PO), but I have a solution for that coming soon...

Yep, I have bounced off of trees on tight trails with the ARB and not suffered the damage that the OEM bumper would have allowed. Lots of aftermarket bumpers would provide this benefit if the contact was low. Not all will when it is higher.

I agree with your comment about the lack of decent recovery points. I'm gonna be adding a stout center section behind the face of the bumper, below the winch, between the frame rails while I have it off. Putting a receiver there for recover point attachment.

Mark...

I saw two live moose roadside during my 2500 mile summer trip last year into into Alaska's interior. Additionally, there were several signs along the Kenai peninsula warning motorists to be wary of moose. The signs also including a tally of how many moose had been killed by collisions during the season. I believe it was over twenty.

Had an ARB on my FJ62 for many years, now have one on the LX 450.

A heavy snow year will push the moose onto the roads and railroad tracks pretty significantly. We have had years with over 400 killed by vehicles in a year. :( One winter the Alaska Railroad was smacking so many every time a train ran that they resorted to sending crews out to cut openins in the berms all along the tracks so that the moose might be able to move off the tracks when a train approached. Then they sent pilot trucks on the rails ahead of every train to chase the moose off. A truck could slow and stop if need be to run the moose off the tracks. The train, obviously can't.

They get hit in the summer too, but winter is worst with the darkness and the ice and the moose hanging around the road edges a lot more.

The day I hit the moose, once I got to the trailhead, we counted 15 moose in the first 5 miles on the way into the valley. Probably drove right by half that many again and just did not see them. After that, some other fol;ks caught up with and passed us and they would have caused most of the moose to step back out if sight a little bit as they went by. :(

Mark...

All joking aside, we're happy you're okay Mark.... but mostly that we didn't lose another Cruiser to that great scrap heap in the sky,.

The moose 13 years ago was what pushed my '62 over the edge. I Lost an FJ80 to the river a year later. Sunk, rolled and tumbled filled with gravel... extracted but finished at that point. :(

Those are the only Cruisers that I have "lost" One or two others that were "retired". One or two in limbo awaiting resurection. Some have actually been sold, believe it or not. ;)

But none wound up in the crap heap. Parts yard maybe, scrap heap never. (At least not until EVERYTHING usable has been salvaged. ;) )

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom