Builds SLOW 71 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I'm still waiting for real parts I decided to fix a recurring problem of the steering column housing. I'm using the 71 column, but removed the shift rod and went with the 5 speed floor shifter instead. In doing that it lost some support and the housing will slip in time where the turn signal won't function. We talked about this earlier and tightening the two little brass tabs which are supposed to hold it in place ( they don't ) isn't enough.

Here's what I did and I'll show you with another column I have in the stash. First I found a 1 1/2" tube clamp from Jegs with a threaded boss on it and then made a steel 1/2" tab that screws into the boss...

IMG_3705.JPG

Here it's screwed together and will slip forward into the housing...

IMG_3707.JPG

Fits perfect and holds the housing tight...

IMG_3708.JPG

Finished project!

IMG_3709.JPG

The things we do...

Waiting on all new clutch parts from Centerline and while I was messing around sent the Alt. back to the manufacturer to be checked. The gauge started to drop from 15 volts to @13 over a two day period and then went back up before we got home.

Any word yet on the alternator?

Yes, the alt. is fine, but doesn't explain what was going on when it dropped for a couple days to 13 volts. He told me, don't worry about it. :meh:

Last edited:
Not really a parts column, just a total replacement if needed. At one time I thought the Slow's column was going bad.

Picked up a piece of 1/4" plate steel for a skidplate and since I have the PTO and transfer hanging @ 5" below the frame, I'm just going to make a flat belly pan. Question for my fellow cohorts...How much of a gap between the lowest part and skidplate? I'm figuring @ 3/4" to an inch. I'll try to run some stiffeners down the skid and hope it doesn't cave in too much when I'm following J Mack. :)

IMG_3721.JPG

hope it doesn't cave in too much when I'm following J Mack.
Make it out of AR plate and give yourself about a 1/4" inch gap.
Ar400 would work just fine if you cant get 500 locally, trust me it's worth the little extra money you spend on the plate.

To be honest I don't know what this steel is, just something I got at the metal scrap yard. I'm using what I have, so do you think a bigger space will work. I'm not rock climbing, so not too concerned with the least amount of space if that makes sense. If I run a 3/4" square rod on the inside of the skid it should stiffen it up.

Case International

I thought a 1/4" should be strong enough, but it's not hardened either, guess I'll find out. The PTO box is hanging out there just waiting to be wacked.

ScrapDaddy,

Good evening! I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your build up and the subsequent adventures! She's a great looking pig! I do have a question, I am in process on a scout (i know not topic related) but I really like what you did with your undercoating. How is it holding up after your road trips and continued work on the systems?

thanks!

Christian

Hi Christian,

Thanks for reading through that and good question. After driving it @ 26,000 miles now with half a dozen cross country trips on it, it's holding up great. The paint has some rock chips and pin stripping, but the Monstaliner seems to be very strong. The best part of all the different layers and products used is it's quiet and cool inside. Closing the doors doesn't sound like a tin can anymore, nice strong sound. I seem to spend a lot of time laying on my back under it either working on something or occasionally napping and haven't seen one chip or rust spot, I'm very happy with it.

Good luck with your build!

Hi Christian,

Thanks for reading through that and good question. After driving it @ 26,000 miles now with half a dozen cross country trips on it, it's holding up great. The paint has some rock chips and pin stripping, but the Monstaliner seems to be very strong. The best part of all the different layers and products used is it's quiet and cool inside. Closing the doors doesn't sound like a tin can anymore, nice strong sound. I seem to spend a lot of time laying on my back under it either working on something or occasionally napping and haven't seen one chip or rust spot, I'm very happy with it.

Good luck with your build!
Ron,

Thank you for the quick reply! I have found that the older the iron the more TLC they need, I also have a 8.1L powered '74 K5 with 1 ton running gear that always wants something! At least you get to lay on your back to admire your fine undercoating work while wrenching your own stuff!

I got the plate welded up and it looks like it might work. She hangs down some, but so does the PTO. I've got to put in some drain holes and clean it up then get out the paint.

I've got room to run a stiffener from front to back (right up the middle), maybe a piece of angle flipped over, if you guys think it would help.

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom