Builds SLOW 71 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe that's what Lil' John is using. I'm pretty much set on keeping the line up I have with the PTO it would be too much to change around. I used the 4:1 gears out in Moab one year, but that was it really. Seems most of our off road driving doesn't require the low range and when I need it the stock gears would be fine. I might have to talk with Georg and order up a new transfer case, I'd rather go new than rebuilt at this point and driving 4,000 miles listening to that whine isn't too bad, but it's really loud on coast and that bugs me.

Man, what a great coincidence, I’m actually actively seeking 4:1 gear donations right now! :)

Ugh.

The noisy gears are awful. I hate that noise.

I agree on crawler gears. I would think for anything I’m doing in a huge wagon the 5:1 first in the H55 would be plenty

The 4:1 low gear is really cool on the rocks, etc. but that noise is tough to take driving cross country especially when I went over board on sound deadener. I'm ready to drop the trans./transfer out tomorrow and been talking to a couple of my Sensei, but still need to put in a call to Georg. I'm thinking just replace the throw out bearing and maybe a new clutch (25,000 miles) while it's apart and see what it sounds like. I really think I would see something bad in the oil and heard more in all gears if it were the gear boxes.

i must be ignant, the low gear actually makes a difference in the sound of your 1:1 hi gear?

Both high and low range gears have been changed and yeah it's a lot louder than expected. I don't know the reason why they are louder, but on coast (foot off pedal) it gets very loud. Something to consider before buying.

EDIT....Let me add the hi gear is now an underdrive not 1:1.

i must be ignant, the low gear actually makes a difference in the sound of your 1:1 hi gear?

The aftermarket gears are very close to straight cut as opposed to the factory helical cut gears, a bit more noise but less side loading under high torque the lower range will generate.

I also have aftermarket gears 44% low range gears with 8% over-drive high range ( Landcruiser 40 & 60 series 44% low range gears with 8% high range over-drive ) and they are a bit noisy but the benefits outweigh the noise.

they are a bit noisy but the benefits outweigh the noise

For my use it seems maybe the noise doesn't out weight the benefits. If I used it more crawling around then yeah, but we seem to be traveling great distances to run dirt roads, etc. which doesn't require super low range especially with 33" tires. I kinda got sucked up in the Moab thing, but really we like back road camping more and listening to that whine is pretty distracting, although it does drown out the ringing in my ears that doesn't go away. :)

yeah it's a lot louder than expected
Marks 4X4 recommends Castrol Optimol Optigear oil with their gear set to reduce noise but I had a hard time finding some in small quantities so I have used some other gear oils and yes some are better than others with the gear noise. I’m currently using 75W-90 Castrol Syntorque Synthetic only because that’s what my NV4500 transmission needs and it’s easier for me to only carry one bottle in my tool kit but it seems to work pretty well as far as noise goes.

J Mack,

You have the 8% overdrive in the transfer, 5th gear overdrive in trans. and @ 35" tires, what ring/pinions you running? I'm using 4:11s and the overdrive 5th gear with just 33" tires, which was fine for me. Seems to me the Chevy motor likes it. I didn't want any change of the transfer's high gear, but really didn't need an underdrive either.

As you know we had some issues with the clutch/trans. on the trip, so getting home I yanked everything out and really couldn't find anything major wrong. The only things I could find were small, but added up maybe were the problem. The throw out bearing had some small noise to it and my hotrod buddy said he could feel a flat spot/ snag in it, which probably caused some odd wear on the clutch fingers. Another odd thing, the disc nose cone was making contact with the face of the pilot bushing. The bushing is brass and it wore down easy enough, but shouldn't of been rubbing together. I have no idea how or why that would happen, but the new bushing will be cut down @ 3/16 leaving plenty of face meat and no contact.

Both the oil from transfer and transmission seemed to be fine, so hopefully they weren't the problem, as I'm putting them back without going in.

Waiting on all new clutch parts from Centerline and while I was messing around sent the Alt. back to the manufacturer to be checked. The gauge started to drop from 15 volts to @13 over a two day period and then went back up before we got home. Since it was out I replaced all three of the tensioner/idler pulleys of which both tension pulleys were making noise when i spun them, a cheap fix. Working down my fix it list.

Ran out of Carnuba wax, so ordered a new can to be ready for the show n shine! :)

Well Guys, the plans have changed. I couldn't get in at Cruiser Outfitters until mid October to do the cut and turn, so driving out to Cruiserfest is out, which is in Salt Lake City also. We're packed and heading out to Wyoming in the morning for a couple weeks. Tent camping and just exploring dirt roads. I changed out the front u bolts for 5/8 bolts and put 6 degree shims in place of the 4 degree I had in. She drives perfect now, no wondering, etc.

The spring shop said to torque the nuts to 177 ft./lb. and I shouldn't have to worry about the dreaded "stretchy nut syndrome".

J Mack, I used the long ratchet with a cheater bar and put the smoke to them. I'll take some pictures and post up when we get home.

Talk to you guys in two weeks. She's packed tight! :)

View attachment 1319143

Drinking a beer and looking at the front end...

View attachment 1319144

Just read your thread. Love your rig. Great color combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom