Sleeping-plattforms - how to sleep inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4x4tripping.com
Overall there are more people out there, who use a tent, rooftent, trailer and so on. But some of us plan to sleep too inside of the car. This need a careful planning about, how to use the limited space.

Here i try to do an kind of compilation of sleeping plattform samples. Many links to websites and comunities who did their own collection of sleeping plattforms.

Here you will find many ideas, how others solve their plans to sleep inside with 1-3 Persons.

4x4-innenausbau-beispiele-schlafplattform-leichtbau-flightcase-sleeping-plattform.jpg

That is very helpful to find some inspiration if you plan on your own buildup.

Article in english:
SUV as an minimalistic RV: Sleeping inside - https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2021/03/suv-as-minimalistic-rv-sleeping-inside.html

In german language:
Schlafen im Geländewagen, der Innenausbau - http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/12/schlafen-im-gelandewagen-innenausbau.html

For shure there are also links back to ih8mud - here are also very helpful informations. I hope you enjoy :)

4x4tripping

Last edited:
Well, this is a good way to kill a couple of hours planning! Gets the ideas flowing, thx

I like the concept of a platform, but more for the storage underneath than as a specific sleeping mod.
For sleeping I want as much headroom as possible and the platform reduces that.

I've got Cabela's Deluxe Camp Bed pad that is very comfy and rolls up.

All my gear ties down in the back with the pad rolled up, comes out in less than 5 minutes, got a tarp to cover that on the ground and some tent stakes for the tarp. The bottom of the back seat is held on with pins and pops out in seconds, pad unrolls in seconds, magnets hold the screens on the back door windows, bags shaken out and I'm sleeping in no more than 15 minutes from ignition off.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...rd1317748&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd1317748;cat104484780

This is phase one of my build.
Storage.jpg
It has tons of room but will have a fold down portion with the 50/50 seats that will allow me to sleep one or two easily!
Yes I know the Left side is open so I can access the Toyota tool kit and jack.

Sleeping inside is very comfortable with two people and a dog in a 60 if you can utilize the entire area behind the rear seats. Put in a cooler or a fridge like in a couple of those pictures and sleeping becomes more cramped and unpleasant.

With one person it's a non-issue, but with more than one, I think you really need all the space in the 60.

I haven't done it yet but this year will be first 80 "sleep-over". I've slept in tents but never in a truck. I agree with the poster who spoke of having enough headroom (I'm 6' 2") but I've already mounted drawers so I won't have my preference of sleeping on the floor and being able to sit up back there. I chose 9" drawers as opposed to the 12" model for this reason. Thanks to the OP for posting up some inside arrangement ideas.

My son (16y.o- 6 ft) and I 6'3") have slept numerous times in the back of my 80. The only issue I've had is enough padding. I usually move the cargo to the roof or under the truck for the night. The grab handles are placed well for shifting around in the truck.

I've been looking at getting one of these to make it more comfortable to sleep in.

http://www.foambymail.com/V_3/3lb-memory-foam-topper.html

Kletzen,
I'd be interested to know how much that pad weighs. I built a platform in my 80 and found an IKEA futon pad that fit perfectly side-to-side and front-to-back once I trimmed 3" of it's length. I think it weighs 35lbs. There is a 17lb model that they were out of when I needed mine. I'll find the model name tomorrow and post up pics of my platform when I have time to find them on the laptop.

I use a Coleman low profile cot which fits perfectly in an 80. There's no need for an extra mattress as the cot is comfortable enough. It can be set up in a couple minutes but I usually just leave it set and small stuff can be stashed under the frame. Having the rear extension tent is REALLY nice and adds a lot of space and "breathing room". Condensation is never an issue anymore. The tent goes up in 22.5 seconds....haha..my daughter timed me..

DSC_0111_zps9f8e9f45.jpg

CBD6BDD6-3119-434F-9321-5E5002CC34C8-14259-00000B61A9B6F650_zps4bf56eb6.jpg

Last edited:
BPoint, I like your setup. I too sleep on a low profile cot in my 60. I have only a half shelf, so it's on pass. side, with the cot on top.
I am keeping the other side open, just not ready to crawl all the way through. I usually just leave it set up, with bedding on top.
What kind of rear tent is that?

Oh I really like your setup! Didn't think about that and I can put stuff underneath, how do you secure the cot?

Cot isn't secured. It's pretty light and if you needed the room it can be set up/torn down in a minute or two.

BPoint, I like your setup. I too sleep on a low profile cot in my 60. I have only a half shelf, so it's on pass. side, with the cot on top.
I am keeping the other side open, just not ready to crawl all the way through. I usually just leave it set up, with bedding on top.
What kind of rear tent is that?
I certainly hear you on not wanting to crawl all the way through. My platform is a little taller as well making it even more uncomfortable. I considered a half platform but with gear and a dog......a full platform seemed more efficient. I still haven't decided if I want to make drawers or not. I think you loose quite a bit of capacity for the convenience of easy access.
It's nice having the tailgate open with the extention tent. There's enough space and height to semi stand up to change and at least sit up straight on the edge of the platform. The tent is an ebay DAC SUV tent. Just put that in the search and it will come up.

http://mjkk.phanfare.com/1205163#imageID=48708142

Pics of mine in this album somewhere. It's higher than most to fit the Engel fridge. The froward section is removable and I use hooks on the grab handles now. Comes out in 30 seconds and the seats fold up. I normally just roll as a two sweater though.

Good timing on this, I forgot I needed to check my 100 to see how much room their is with the second row flipped up. Not enough room for me, so I'll have to temporarily remove part of my second row to sleep or add some netting so I can put the tailgate down.

I've rocked this setup since the 1HZ swap, about 4 years.

To address the headroom issue I am doing one and possibly two things- a high roof body, and maybe change to two Waeco CF-35s instead of one CF-40 (35s are same footprint with less height. fridge height is my limiting factor).

After all these years I'm still running the draft setup and never quite made it to a polished final platform.

The space to work with...
IMG_2113.JPG

Kevin made me fender panels that lift out to deal with the sleeping platform tight space
IMG_2115.JPG

round 1 of the full height platform with mock up supports
_MG_2980.JPG

fridge sets the height
_MG_2981.JPG

all crap fasteners (bad), all friction drawers (good! gets you more space!)
_MG_2982.JPG

4" highest density memory foam pad, full bed sheets (eucalyptus in summer, micro plush in winter, as many comforters as needed, 12V electric blanket under sheets in extreme cold conditions)
_MG_4010.JPG

all that lets you carry spares, fluids, camp gear, food, clothes, and lots of other junk to keep a stealth/low profile outside. The truck doesn't look like much to most people, with no roof rack or huge tent and mega lights up top, no snorkel, no limb wires, and that's a good thing imo. (i've been down the RTT route, all Hannibal, and this is a better setup for 2 or less people).
_MG_5579.JPG

Should add a couple more for detail..

by the way, the platform is basically two pieces. The rear cargo/drawers can stay in with the back seat in, and the front is just 5 screws, 4 bolts and some brackets bolted to the rear seat support legs.

simple front support.
IMG_2473.jpg

this is how things fit. The lid is hinged and has a bracket (not shown) on the front lib so you can shut it flush. The idea is the fridge is right there during driving. Makes it a little more difficult to get food in and out, but you're usually only pulling a couple items at a time. Having the fridge right there also allows you to cycle warm drinks in easily. I need to put a hydraulic strut on to help lift the weight of bedding and any bags sitting on the bed while moving, but otherwise I like the setup.

It could be carpeted, better fastened, framed in with nice aluminum edging, but it works... and I use it a ton without it failing so I never have finished it (plenty more other things to do)

IMG_2477.jpg

This might be good to add for a sleeping inside thread. Air flow is usually good, bugs are bad. I have four of these magnetic screens for the rear sliding windows (also a good thing for 60s), and the rear door windows. I've seen some neat ones that are basically socks for the door windows.

IMG_0840.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom