Sleeping-plattforms - how to sleep inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it a curved slider? Did it come with gasket?

You don't use a gasket, you use the black gooey stuff and clips or moulding if you don't feel the black stuff is enough (it is). I don't know how else to describe it, there are plenty of threads on mud about 60 series rear windows.

You could also get WagonGear flip up rear windows. They are sweet, but not great for driving while open.

This might be good to add for a sleeping inside thread. Air flow is usually good, bugs are bad. I have four of these magnetic screens for the rear sliding windows (also a good thing for 60s), and the rear door windows. I've seen some neat ones that are basically socks for the door windows.

IMG_0840.JPG

Love the 60!! Hey....I've made some of these before but they are getting pretty ratty and I don't fee like making them again... Do you have a link to where those are sold?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401657340.275623.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401657406.346292.jpg

My platform for the 100 series which fits my thermarest pad nicely. Used $10 table legs from IKEA!

Nice setup, SDC

Love the 60!! Hey....I've made some of these before but they are getting pretty ratty and I don't fee like making them again... Do you have a link to where those are sold?

Pretty sure I got mine from a place in Nevada, but I don't remember the name. Here is a similar supplier- http://theskeeterbeater.com/

esh-thanks for the link. I'm working on the platform in the back of my 60, but haven't been able to find no-see-um for my windows.

I like the concept of a platform, but more for the storage underneath than as a specific sleeping mod.
For sleeping I want as much headroom as possible and the platform reduces that.

I've got Cabela's Deluxe Camp Bed pad that is very comfy and rolls up.

All my gear ties down in the back with the pad rolled up, comes out in less than 5 minutes, got a tarp to cover that on the ground and some tent stakes for the tarp. The bottom of the back seat is held on with pins and pops out in seconds, pad unrolls in seconds, magnets hold the screens on the back door windows, bags shaken out and I'm sleeping in no more than 15 minutes from ignition off.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Outfitters-Camp/Cots-Pads-Beds/Sleeping-Pads|/pc/104791680/c/104757480/sc/104712480/i/104484780/Cabelas-Deluxe-Camp-Beds/732419.uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1110220&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1317748&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd1317748;cat104484780

Awesome! This is just the pad I need for my pop-top. How "cushy" is it? My platform is 1/2" plywood sections cut 2' x 4' which lay on side rails in the top of my 45. (See my signature video)
Since it's only 3" high I might be able to leave the whole thing in place while traveling... might cut down on the "thump" of the roof bouncing on these rough NM back roads.

Awesome! This is just the pad I need for my pop-top. How "cushy" is it? My platform is 1/2" plywood sections cut 2' x 4' which lay on side rails in the top of my 45. (See my signature video)
Since it's only 3" high I might be able to leave the whole thing in place while traveling... might cut down on the "thump" of the roof bouncing on these rough NM back roads.
I just spent three days with this pad at 11,200' in the San Juans. I don't have a platform so the pad was just laid on the bed, which has some short shag carpet the PO glued down. It was quite comfy.

I need to pull the pad up for wheeling 'cause I have a dog crate I put just behind the front seats. At first I was rolling the mat up, but then realized I could put all the stuff--sleeping bag, clothes bag, guitar, whatnot--on the back half, fold the mat over that and bungee down. Worked great and I'll use this method for generaly packing in future as there's plenty of room between the folded mat and the dog crate for the camp box. All that means super quick setup once you get to camp.

In a related idea, put a camelback knock-off on the back of the driver's seat so now when I wake up all thirsty and dry-mouth, I just grab that. Good for thirsty 'wheelin' too. Also, my cousin figured out that putting his (smallish) ice chest behind the cruiser for a step makes it easier to get in and out the tailgate.

Here was my sleeping platform that has moved on to a new owner

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1407drivers-build-thread.678649/

For those not interested in a drawer system, I think they work pretty well. I guess I just prefer the tent route. It was actually pretty convenient day to day except having to crawl under the platform to retrieve small items...

IMHO 60 have more useful space to sleep than 80 ..
Or a 100 for that matter. Even though the 60 is technically smaller than the 100 it "feels" bigger inside. I think the boxy sides make the difference.

I built a super simple light weight platform for about $17 using mostly scrap wood.I removed all the back seats and have a ton of room. I built it out of very cheap light plywood for a few reasons. Thin wood on top is cheaper and lighter. I think most platforms are way over built. Mine does not carry any gear on top while driving. so the only weight it supports is my static body weight. I then used cheap scrap 1x1 (may be it was 2x2 I had kicking around as legs. I used another scrap piece of thin plywood as a floor and bolted it down to the seat mount holes. I covered it with a few old "shop" blankest and sleep with my thermarest on it. I will probably close in a few areas to hold some gear better but I like it mostly open underneath as opposed to drawers. I have a lot of flexibility as to what I pack. I usually secure gear with straps and by creative packing. But I think I will add some better ways to compartmentalize in the future.

Overall I think going with a very simple flat platform has a lot of advantages. Simplicity, light weight and cost being a big part. But a simple raise platform has a ton of flexibility for packing gear and items as well.

Nice looking set-ups you have! Here is our DIY solution:

This is a pic of my just recently completed in-car-sleeping set up:
Foto.JPG

Fits two people relatively easy and leaves room for camping chairs on the right. When driving it looks like this:

Foto fahren.JPG

Cheers and happy engineering,
Lukas

Here is the set-up I built for my 4runner.

null-10.jpg

Esh I love the magnetic bug screens. Too bad magnets don't stick to fiberglass.

Here is the set-up I built for my 4runner.

Esh I love the magnetic bug screens. Too bad magnets don't stick to fiberglass.

Would velcro work in your application?

Would velcro work in your application?
Perhaps if it was attached permanently. Not sure I'm willing to that though. Not quite as clean and elegant as magnets.

Perhaps some tasteful metal plates attached to the fiberglass?

Recently made my own slider screens for camping. I made a template with cardboard, then using some Komatex sheeting I cut out, shaped and sanded the frame. Black spray paint, and added screen to the inside and attached with black duct tape. Planning to add some rubber door trim that will finish them off and keep them locked in place.

1412020904632.jpg

1412020921530.jpg

1412021135911.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom