Builds Skreddy’s 70 Non-Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Usually that spot people put an aftermarket radiator overflow bottle

Other than that it’s a good spot … unless you want an overflow bottle there later :)
Nah. Mine has puked enough in the gravel to find it’s “happy level”…..

Before and after. Still need to adjust the aim.
Low beams.
ED21E79C-0EF7-4C52-9101-99D46E5B220B.jpeg
B9EDA8A2-C501-420E-B626-551A4ED5BF73.jpeg

High beams.
46BEF7CC-AC27-4190-82F5-DE1DB57CFE1D.jpeg
A8FBE4A1-C91F-4478-956C-6A2CF1EF4207.jpeg

Here is the buss bars I used to wire to the battery. Bent a couple angles in a piece of aluminum bar and mounted to the apron/fender support. They have a cover to prevent accidental co tact cleaned the wiring up a little since this pic
511984A8-2625-479F-9908-7C0DF62F81FC.jpeg
7E6E5A9C-9B69-40F1-A80C-FEEEFB57A59D.jpeg

I always feel like the low beams could be aimed a tad higher on mine, but the high beams feel like they should come down a fuz......
100% ! Glad I'm not the only one.

Made it to the end, but am definitely looking for more. Been great reading through your projects. I love your careful taste of budget/mind blowing positive change. Wish I had your time, motivation, and ingenuity. Super cool/clean cruiser.

Made it to the end, but am definitely looking for more. Been great reading through your projects. I love your careful taste of budget/mind blowing positive change. Wish I had your time, motivation, and ingenuity. Super cool/clean cruiser.
Thanks for the kind words.

Great work as usual!
Toyota part 81110-60P70 was the best OEM part I have bought for my 40 both for results and the cost.

Curious, did you notice the instrument cluster lights getting brighter after the install?
Adding the kit woke mine up so to speak.

Great work as usual!
Toyota part 81110-60P70 was the best OEM part I have bought for my 40 both for results and the cost.

Curious, did you notice the instrument cluster lights getting brighter after the install?
Adding the kit woke mine up so to speak.
Haven’t noticed but I also put led’s in the cluster awhile back.

Skreddy, curious how your efficiency worked out after you corrected the vacuum issue with the sniper. How’s it running after driving it for a while, considering going to same direction as you - I like that you can “train” the computer, been reading about fuel injection a lot of kits give you a preprogrammed set up and require chip modifications for programming. I like that you get your own “brain” with the sniper setup - would you go the same direction again, or would you purchase something a little more tailored for your purpose? Not intending to hijack, would like your opinion and experience.

Thank You for sharing in advance.

Adding the kit woke mine up so to speak
I don't believe that I saw any increase of light output in my instrument cluster when I swapped the headlights.

I don't believe that I saw any increase of light output in my instrument cluster when I swapped the headlights.
I adjusted the lights and drove it in the dark today. No noticeable difference in the cluster lights since they are led but there is a noticeable difference in the high beam indicator light and that one is not led.

Skreddy, curious how your efficiency worked out after you corrected the vacuum issue with the sniper. How’s it running after driving it for a while, considering going to same direction as you - I like that you can “train” the computer, been reading about fuel injection a lot of kits give you a preprogrammed set up and require chip modifications for programming. I like that you get your own “brain” with the sniper setup - would you go the same direction again, or would you purchase something a little more tailored for your purpose? Not intending to hijack, would like your opinion and experience.

Thank You for sharing in advance.
If I were doing efi again I’d do the same setup. I don’t have the skills to fine tune an entire fuel and timing map. My Harley is efi and I did a ton of upgrades to it, they send you a base map to get it running but I then took it to a tuner to get it dialed in.

Sidetrack over. My sniper runs great. I noticed my mileage has dipped a little last 2 tanks (11 mpg) but I’ve gone to my dads a lot which is 40+ freeway miles and I’m doing 75 or so. The sniper is not as set it and forget it as claimed. I mean, it can be, but to really get everything out of it takes time to do some self tuning after it learns. I’ve found areas like the startup enrichment, fuel prime and the afr target all need tweaking. But just set it and forget it will get you a really nice running cruiser.

The big question is “why efi”? If everything else is not up to snuff you’ll be disappointed and blaming the sniper. Everything else being compression, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, ignition system, cooling. There’s also the potential nagging thought “if the pump or throttle body gives out in the middle of nowhere, then what?” A good rebuilt carb by one of the respected carb guys here can be just as good as efi and a lot simpler. I had a bad fuel pump and 2 different carbs with issues. I also vary elevation between sea level and 7000’+ so those things pushed me to the sniper.

Not sure where you’re located but if NW WA, come by and drive it.

I always feel like the low beams could be aimed a tad higher on mine, but the high beams feel like they should come down a fuz......
I agree with this after driving it but not too bad. I notice more my drivers side is a bit dimmer than the passenger side. Regardless, these lights are better than my 2004 4Runner headlights, both high and low beams. I’ve got them set where I’m pretty pleased with high and low and it’s a huge difference. I’m a cheapskate and after doing this, it’ll be one of the first mods on any future cruiser. So anyone that’s on the fence: ORDER IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

Been busy times for the Skreddy’s the last month. Been trying to sell our house since June, got listed basically the day the market froze. But all of a sudden 3 weeks ago, we got an offer and they wanted a 2 week close! The house was no big deal but the shop took days to pack. Our rental is about 1/3 the size that our house was, but has a shop so that was the deal maker. Couple days after we got all out and closed, left for elk hunting for a week. It’s been hectic.
But today I was taking some time to start organizing the shop at our rental and made time to install the used Yakima roof crossbars I bought a couple weeks ago. We will be going to the mountains for our annual Christmas tree hunt and the bars will be nice to strap it to. Hoping to finish up my winch bumper and install beforehand too, got a week and a half.
Oh ya, sudden little snowstorm too….
223BAF24-C484-40E0-871B-0FCB78469E75.jpeg

Happy tree hunting we got ours Sunday dragged it a mile out in the snow I know I’m not young anymore, but this one was a buggerView attachment 3182563
Last years tree came home on my 4Runner. Not as much room for a tree this year so will scale it back a little
93A90554-A3F9-4A2A-935E-935B73090BB2.jpeg
CDAA9FB6-6FAE-49CC-BFEF-FAE260ECD90F.jpeg

If I were doing efi again I’d do the same setup. I don’t have the skills to fine tune an entire fuel and timing map. My Harley is efi and I did a ton of upgrades to it, they send you a base map to get it running but I then took it to a tuner to get it dialed in.

Sidetrack over. My sniper runs great. I noticed my mileage has dipped a little last 2 tanks (11 mpg) but I’ve gone to my dads a lot which is 40+ freeway miles and I’m doing 75 or so. The sniper is not as set it and forget it as claimed. I mean, it can be, but to really get everything out of it takes time to do some self tuning after it learns. I’ve found areas like the startup enrichment, fuel prime and the afr target all need tweaking. But just set it and forget it will get you a really nice running cruiser.

The big question is “why efi”? If everything else is not up to snuff you’ll be disappointed and blaming the sniper. Everything else being compression, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, ignition system, cooling. There’s also the potential nagging thought “if the pump or throttle body gives out in the middle of nowhere, then what?” A good rebuilt carb by one of the respected carb guys here can be just as good as efi and a lot simpler. I had a bad fuel pump and 2 different carbs with issues. I also vary elevation between sea level and 7000’+ so those things pushed me to the sniper.

Not sure where you’re located but if NW WA, come by and drive it.
I'd love to drive your 40, amazed that you are going 75 MPH in that thing - we're just too damned far away!. I'm a little scared at 50MPH in mine.
I'll be doing the brakes (currently it's 4 wheel drums) and the steering/suspension hasn't been touched since the 90's, so once I tighten that stuff up maybe I'll get 60 MPH out of her. I don't live in varied elevation, but do live in quite the cold climate (Northern Canada). I like the idea of being able to run without the worry of position/angle, cold start, and the better economy (though it's not that much better). I'll be working on the engine, hoping to put a 2F in (though I'll have to check the compression first) the original F that is in now is definitely showing signs of age/lack of maintenance - havn't checked compression yet, but it is burning oil pretty bad, this could just be bad valve adjustment, but as mentioned havn't really looked into it. You are right though, need to get the basics solidified first before exploring the sniper.
Soon. Glad to see the update, your 40 looks sweet!

I'd love to drive your 40, amazed that you are going 75 MPH in that thing - we're just too damned far away!. I'm a little scared at 50MPH in mine.
I'll be doing the brakes (currently it's 4 wheel drums) and the steering/suspension hasn't been touched since the 90's, so once I tighten that stuff up maybe I'll get 60 MPH out of her. I don't live in varied elevation, but do live in quite the cold climate (Northern Canada). I like the idea of being able to run without the worry of position/angle, cold start, and the better economy (though it's not that much better). I'll be working on the engine, hoping to put a 2F in (though I'll have to check the compression first) the original F that is in now is definitely showing signs of age/lack of maintenance - havn't checked compression yet, but it is burning oil pretty bad, this could just be bad valve adjustment, but as mentioned havn't really looked into it. You are right though, need to get the basics solidified first before exploring the sniper.
Soon. Glad to see the update, your 40 looks sweet!
Well if you get to my area for any reason, come take it for a spin!

No cruiser stuff because I’m working all weekend, but from home so able to babysit the smoker. First batch: 3 pounds of teriyaki jerky. Next is 4 pounds of jalapeño lime, then 4 pounds of peppered. All 100% organic, cage free, free range, Rocky Mountain Elk.
91287878-5133-4349-AE22-88B507142CD4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom