Builds Skreddy’s 70 Non-Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up an 8274 winch on Saturday, then carved some pumpkins. Tore it down, sandblasted the cases, added oil fill and drain holes, then painted. I keep forgetting to take pics of stuff but here’s 1 in the back of the car right when buying it and the top case. Lower case and side support were painted bright aluminum but the paint was right over dirt and grease. It came with a new rebuild kit but missing the control and I ordered new brake support bearing as it was pretty gritty.
View attachment 3149497View attachment 3149498View attachment 3149499View attachment 3149500View attachment 3149501
One day I’ll rebuild my winch. Unfortunately, it’s so far down the list I can’t see it…

One day I’ll rebuild my winch. Unfortunately, it’s so far down the list I can’t see it…
I’m at an odd point that I’m checking off more wants lately.

What part of Idaho are you from?

I’m at an odd point that I’m checking off more wants lately.

What part of Idaho are you from?
Tetons- south east Idaho. Instead of going to the point of not having things to work on, I bought another project to take any copious spare time up.

I wanted an older, used and worn but working condition winch to go with the same look of the cruiser but this one is quickly becoming nicer that what it will go on. I should probably button up the rebuild and give it to someone else and start looking again for a more used one that fits the look better.

That was humor. But it is going to look better than it should for this ol hag.
Waiting on parts. I went back and forth to buy a new sticker or not but kept the old one. Let this dirty winch remember where it came from…. The paint is cast aluminum engine enamel. And cast iron engine enamel on the brake parts.
View attachment 3149987
Where did you buy the parts from?

Got the brake support bearing off Amazon from warn. Also got the motor support bearing off Amazon but an SKF part because it was $9 compared to Warn’s $35.
The rest of the rebuild parts, new brake discs, etc. were already bought by the PO.

Or did you mean the other parts I needed? I also needed a solenoid cover, controller female plug end and controller. Purchased all that from Summit. Everything points to using a newer style 5 pin controller and socket that cost a lot more money. The lighter duty UTV winches appear to use the same older 3 pin controller and socket the 8274’s came with which is a lot cheaper than the new version.

I’m kinda cheap….

Just about buttoned up the winch project. It’s all rebuilt and tested and works. Need to actually make my bumper now! Still have to spool the cable on but I’ll attach it to the drum when I’m ready to mount it then spool it on. May peel that big orange warning sticker off the top of the new control cover.
0A625D21-5527-474D-8C6A-F16F5CC84C09.jpeg
65588BDE-B0C8-4467-A84D-14E1B56479D9.jpeg

I can also confirm that the socket/ plug 16296 will work with the controller 80172. The controller is listed for lighter duty UTV winches but uses the 3 plug round socket. I took a chance and it worked. This controller is about the same as the original 8274 control and rubberized, but cost about $55 compared to $95+!

Next project showed up today too. Toyota part 81110-60P70, headlight upgrade.
92BB1620-072E-49B1-A9B4-18C9B6D8F54A.jpeg

Just about buttoned up the winch project. It’s all rebuilt and tested and works. Need to actually make my bumper now! Still have to spool the cable on but I’ll attach it to the drum when I’m ready to mount it then spool it on. May peel that big orange warning sticker off the top of the new control cover. View attachment 3152640View attachment 3152641

I can also confirm that the socket/ plug 16296 will work with the controller 80172. The controller is listed for lighter duty UTV winches but uses the 3 plug round socket. I took a chance and it worked. This controller is about the same as the original 8274 control and rubberized, but cost about $55 compared to $95+!

View attachment 3152645
That headlight upgrade is great, I did the same on my 40 a while back, legit!

Toss that Warn in that flat rate box! If it fits it ships.

That headlight upgrade is great, I did the same on my 40 a while back, legit!

Toss that Warn in that flat rate box! If it fits it ships.
Maybe if I tape 2 together and they can just charge me the double flat rate?

Just about buttoned up the winch project. It’s all rebuilt and tested and works. Need to actually make my bumper now! Still have to spool the cable on but I’ll attach it to the drum when I’m ready to mount it then spool it on. May peel that big orange warning sticker off the top of the new control cover. View attachment 3152640View attachment 3152641

View attachment 3152645

I've heard nothing but good things about the headlight upgrade. It's for sure on my list also.

I've heard nothing but good things about the headlight upgrade. It's for sure on my list also.
My stock headlights are not terrible in my opinion, but they could definitely be better. The biggest driver for me was one of the lights, the high beam just went out. Was considering this upgrade anyway so went for it.

I guess they do leave a lot to be desired….
D7B10F0B-EED9-48BF-8693-0CA0AC6272BB.jpeg

I guess they do leave a lot to be desired….

yes.... they are not horrible... just not great :)

I did Hella flat h4 headlights 28 years ago... JcWhitney knock offs when that place was still a thing lol... such a huge difference in trails as well as on road

if i ever crack a lens i will most likely go to the oem type upgrade

I guess they do leave a lot to be desired….View attachment 3152824
This is showing the Kioto H4 & harness upgrade?

In my experience with two of these kits, the low beams are better but not Hallelujah better. High beams with the H4 upgrade are Hallelujah better.

@77CruiserDog has some pretty solid lighting testing results & tech in his FJ60 thread. If you feel like spending some coin chasing better light, you could follow his lead in that regard. My position has been if I want better light than the H4 & harness upgrade provides, I'm driving my 40 too fast at night. I think I'm getting old.

This is showing the Kioto H4 & harness upgrade?

In my experience with two of these kits, the low beams are better but not Hallelujah better. High beams with the H4 upgrade are Hallelujah better.

@77CruiserDog has some pretty solid lighting testing results & tech in his FJ60 thread. If you feel like spending some coin chasing better light, you could follow his lead in that regard. My position has been if I want better light than the H4 & harness upgrade provides, I'm driving my 40 too fast at night. I think I'm getting old.
That pic is my factory low beams from a couple mornings ago. Hopefully I’ll have an upgrade pic either tomorrow morning or Sunday morning.

The best set up I found were the Hella housings. And these LED bulbs.

Hikari 2022 HyperStar H4/9003... Amazon product ASIN B08S38C2BG
HELLA 002395801 Vision Plus 165mm 12V High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (H4 ECE) https://a.co/9jWvtoS

The light output was very good and considerably better than the Toyota housings… gasp.

Hella on the left Kioto on the right…

View attachment 3153672

The difference is clear. Both have the same LED bulb in them that I posted above.
I am not after the best light, just better. I’m cheap too so the $57 price to my door was the clincher otherwise I actually would’ve just replaced with the standard sealed beam.

I finished (ish) the install yesterday. Need to wrap a few loose wires and waiting on the new plastic headlight adjuster grommets to show up as 1 of mine was broken. Also waiting on a bus bar terminal to show up for connecting the light power and ground. Between the lights and the sniper, I’m getting more accessory wires connected to the terminals than I’m comfortable with.

Anyhow, mini write up. As with any project, first, read the instructions.

02368D84-38C6-4494-AD25-C3261FED0A54.jpeg
27D4F486-07F2-42F7-9FF2-EE323C4862A1.jpeg

Phew, there was a picture…
I found the new harness had the wire colors switched for the high and low beams. High beam is red with yellow wire and goes into the right vertical plug (when looking from back of connector) and low beam is red with green wire going into upper horizontal. The new harness had RY going into upper horizontal and RG into right vertical. Doesn’t matter AS LONG AS THEY ARE THE SAME THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE NEW HARNESS. The wire doesn’t know what color it is. I plan on changing them anyway for future me.
F811C1A6-FDF3-4227-B6C9-9B0B7A81A215.jpeg
08203D7E-0CA0-4D3A-B9AB-E2DB1F687565.jpeg
1CA031DC-EFB8-47E8-A9C8-6BBD2A63BEF5.jpeg

The new harness also gives a ton of extra wire but leaves the passenger pigtail into the housing short. No big deal with the newer housings but the older buckets like this one: that doesn’t work. (And I’m not cutting the buckets). I laid out the wiring where it was all going and lengthened the plug pigtail into the passenger bucket and shortened the rest of the harness for a much better/cleaner fit. Now I won’t have a big ball of extra wire zip tied up somewhere.
722504D7-3919-4D6F-8D8F-0B846AEADFCA.jpeg

I connected the relays to the radiator support, hoping that’s an ok spot.
No action shots of the lights yet because I’m working all weekend so hopefully Monday unless I get up extra early tomorrow for a pic.
CDF11BD1-16FB-48AF-9A9C-11E6F4265C73.jpeg

I forgot:
I pulled each wire terminal from the plugs and ran the wires through a grommet in the headlight bucket for a factory-ish look. This is how I noticed the wires in the wrong spot. Left about 8” of excess in each bucket for pulling out to change bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom