Should I replace non-faulty fuel injectors? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Team:

So, I have been down a cylinder for a bit on my '93 FZJ80 and finally tracked it down to a toasted #6 fuel injector based on a resistance test. The other injectors' resistances are pretty close to spec. Is it recommended to replace all of the injectors at once or is it kosher to replace just the #6 injector?

These guys are pretty pricey, but it's a massive pain to remove the manifold to get to them. I don't want to have to do the job twice, but I also don't want to spend extra money if it's not really recommended. Any thoughts on how best to proceed regarding the other injectors that are working fine is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Regards,
JLTemlock

Hi Team:

So, I have been down a cylinder for a bit on my '93 FZJ80 and finally tracked it down to a toasted #6 fuel injector based on a resistance test. The other injectors' resistances are pretty close to spec. Is it recommended to replace all of the injectors at once or is it kosher to replace just the #6 injector?

These guys are pretty pricey, but it's a massive pain to remove the manifold to get to them. I don't want to have to do the job twice, but I also don't want to spend extra money if it's not really recommended. Any thoughts on how best to proceed regarding the other injectors that are working fine is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Regards,
JLTemlock
You could send the lot off to be cleaned and tested. I'd rely on the recommendation you receive from a competent shop.

The guys at RC Fuel Injection do an awesome job of cleaning and servicing injectors for a reasonable price. Including super fast turnaround. I do speak from experience. This the route that I would go in a hot second considering your problem.

Hi Team:

Regards,
JLTemlock
Depends on the mileage. 150k miles, replace 1 injector and clean the others and install new orings. 250k miles, replace them all. If u can find OEM ones from the original manufacturer rather than Toyota dealership that will save u some money. I believe for several years beck arnley made injectors for toyota, but that was in the late 90s to early 00s. So not sure if they made them for 80 series or not. My BA injectors from rock auto were way cheaper than the dealer for my 4runner.

I would look at this way. Send in all the injectors in for a cleaning. If they cannot service the one that appears to be bad.. so be it. At least the other 5 will flow as new.. and match the new one you will be buying. Of course @White Stripe mentioned this all ready. I am just adding my .02 on top of his post.

Thanks, Guys:

I'm at 145K on the odometer and am thinking to send them in for cleaning per recommendations...

Another quick question- Assuming the #6 is bad and I replace with a new one while cleaning the older ones. Does the new one need to be calibrated against the others older ones for optimal operations?

Thanks again for the help on this one.

I would imagine that a call to to RC would give a very solid answer. In my opinion I believe a new one would match the cleaned injectors. RC like most good injector service centers flow test before and after cleaning. Certainly they would be looking for an OEM spec to determine condition. If so a new injector should be very close to the other 5'and how they flow. Keep in mind I am surmising. Hence the phone call to RC.

Thanks, Guys:

I'm at 145K on the odometer and am thinking to send them in for cleaning per recommendations...

Another quick question- Assuming the #6 is bad and I replace with a new one while cleaning the older ones. Does the new one need to be calibrated against the others older ones for optimal operations?

There is a Dr Injector in Gladstone Oregon that are a pretty good place, I had my BWW injectors done there, they are a very competent shop in PNW

Thanks, Guys:

Answer is no, you don’t need no stinking calibration because our engines aren’t super precise direct injection engines. As long as it is within factory spect it’s fine. My old BMW injectors were a complete different story. :rolleyes:

I would definitely send them in for cleaning. There is nothing inside our injectors that is serviceable, so cleaning and flow testing is about all that can be done.

There really isn't calibrating of any sort. You could ask for a set of 'flow matched' injectors...but your engine won't know the difference if one is a tad different than the other. As long as they are clean, flowing freely and have a decent spray pattern you are good to go.

We are basically running a glorified facsimile of a tractor engine (petrol). Just give it some fuel and oil and it is happy.

Send them to Mr. Injector here in Coeur d'Alene. For $17 he cleans them, calibrates them, installs all new seals and sends them back individually wrapped with a graph of the flow before and after so you can see what happened. They'll also come back permanently engraved as to cylinder number (be sure you label them with a sharpie #1-#6). Great value and he's very good with a national customer base. I've sent 3 sets of 80 injectors to him over the years. Calibration is an art as they're not really designed to calibrate and I've sent more than 10 sets over the years. With balanced power strokes comes a smoother and more efficient engine. He's on Government Way.

Send them to Mr. Injector here in Coeur d'Alene. For $17 he cleans them, calibrates them, installs all new seals and sends them back individually wrapped with a graph of the flow before and after so you can see what happened. They'll also come back permanently engraved as to cylinder number (be sure you label them with a sharpie #1-#6). Great value and he's very good with a national customer base. I've sent 3 sets of 80 injectors to him over the years. Calibration is an art as they're not really designed to calibrate and I've sent more than 10 sets over the years. With balanced power strokes comes a smoother and more efficient engine. He's on Government Way.
$17 for all six injectors??? I doubt it would have been that cheap back when the first fuel injector was installed in an automobile engine. This raises and eyebrow of skepticism.

I assumed it was $17 per injector...

$17 total or each?

Pretty sure it would be 17 bucks each, even that’s cheap for the amount of work.

Yes, it would have to be (per each). Most other injector cleaning providers charge $22.00-$25.00 per injector to clean and service (replace filter screens, O-rings and pintle caps). Please avoid shops/persons who claim to 'rebuild' an injector. Our Electric injectors are not 're-buildable', there are no serviceable internal parts (coil, pintle, seat, etc...). The most that can be done is to check the impedance, clean the unit and flow test it.

It IS possible to closely match (flow test) injectors, but this would have to be done from a large batch. Likely, any set you send in for cleanly (if properly done) will flow within 4 percent or less of one another (which is good). But you can't 'calibrate' our injectors. This term is sometimes used synonymous with (flow test) and no legitimate provider can honestly say they can take your set of injectors and manipulate them (calibrate) such that they all flow same, guaranteed. And its not a matter of semantics, it is being 'sold' as a service by some folks.

Careful and repeated 'cleaning' and testing can/should result in injectors with flow rates very close to one another. This is 'flow matching' not calibration. How closely your injectors can be 'matched' is strictly a matter of their current condition (coil impedance) and how well they were built to begin with (quality control). We just want properly operating (per design standards) injectors.

Last edited:
I keep getting tempted by this. The prices see very fair and $17 each is tempting, but I think there is much lower hanging fruit to deal with on my machine.

I keep getting tempted by this. The prices see very fair and $17 each is tempting, but I think there is much lower hanging fruit to deal with on my machine.

Same here, unless I’m doing major work on the engine I’m not going to bother at all. Plus chemical cleaners has come a long ways, chevron and liquidmoly both have great chemical injector cleaner that has proven to work well.

as far as I know calibration means calabrating precise injector flow with the computer. In direct injection engines where the fuel is dumped directly into the combustion chambers so the amount has to be precise to create correct fuel air mixture. It is not possible to change/calibrate the flow amount of injectors, flow is determined at the factory. Even with modern manufacturing processes each injectors will be different, hence calibration is for the computer and NOT the injector.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a source of quality NEW injectors that are plug and play? Perhaps certified that they work properly prior to being shipped? (280k miles and components do wear and break due to fatigue...)

Mine at 172k miles were sent in for cleaning: The most efficient one was down 8% in flow from spec. My worst one was down 14%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom