Should I pull the rocker arm assembly to clean? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am de-cluttering my 3fe by pulling the air injection rail etc. While I've got everything apart I'm considering pulling the rocker arm assembly and cleaning and making sure all the oil holes are open. I've seen some here who have had plugged oil holes. I don't totally suspect that here but I've got to adjust the valves and it doesn't seem like that much more work. Would you pull it and disassemble and clean? My 62 has 151k miles.

IMG_20210111_110512.jpg

I see no negatives to cleaning it. Just make sure to keep track of all the parts and I think you might need to replace some caps if you fully disassemble.

It's not that difficult to pull, disassemble, clean, and reinstall. Just keep the parts in order because you don't want to mix intake and exhaust rockers, and retorque to spec when you reinstall.

Do it. Cleaning may not make a difference but you will learn a little more about the 3FE in doing so.

I just replaced the head on my 2F. I did not do much to clean the rocker arm assembly, as it was looking pretty good and I was just trying to get to the finish line. The machinist who did the head said I should have cleaned it anyway.

So far so good but I really don’t think 500 miles is enough to tell...

I never disassembled mine in 295K miles and the oil flowed fine.
I did once disassemble one on an engine that was getting rebuilt due to a gouged cylinder wall and that one was filled with big metal shavings. No just a few shavings but filled with them. Big ones

Do it. See my thread about it. It's easy to do and plugs are easy to find. A parts washer will not clean it out. Get a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brush, and use a drill to clean it out with lots of carb cleaner and air.
Not only filings but carbon buildup can't get out of the small holes that oil the rocker, pushrod cup, and spring guides.
Peace of mind. trust me. I found out the hard way but I caught it early enough to not do too much damage.
I hope Mr. Jim used it to put in his "How not to rebuild and engine" thread.

Do it. See my thread about it. It's easy to do and plugs are easy to find. A parts washer will not clean it out. Get a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brush, and use a drill to clean it out with lots of carb cleaner and air.
Not only filings but carbon buildup can't get out of the small holes that oil the rocker, pushrod cup, and spring guides.
Peace of mind. trust me. I found out the hard way but I caught it early enough to not do too much damage.
I hope Mr. Jim used it to put in his "How not to rebuild and engine" thread.
How do the plugs come out? Are they pressed in or do those clips hold them in? There's nothing in the service manual about disassembling the rocker shaft assembly. I think I'm going to pull it this afternoon.

Got if off and apart and it was certainly not necessary, all the holes are wide open and it's relatively clean inside, but now I know. I'm going to clean everything up, flush it out and blow it dry inside without pulling the plugs I just don't see the need right now and I'd have to order those. Thanks for all the help.

IMG_20210112_123901.jpg

Well that's done and I could say it was a waste of time but I'm glad I did it just for the fact that I know it's clean and that I learned more about my engine today. Still have to torque it down and adjust the valves maybe I'll get that done tomorrow. The head on this is incredibly clean, there was no sludge at all.

IMG_20210112_152354.jpg

IMG_20210112_160947.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom