Should I remove the cat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I admittedly don’t know much about catalytic converters. I’m wondering if I would benefit from removing mine. Here’s the details.
1984 fj60 with desmogged 2f. Runs well. Has original cat. I’m not sure that it’s working or not. (I do know that at one point the whole thing was bright orange it was so hot. This was while I was working on the engine,figuring out all the gremlins.)
The muffler is a dynoflow that I added on because the original was rusted out.
Would I see power gains, fuel efficiency gains by removing the cat? Definitely is not required here in Montana. I don’t know if it’s helping or hurting or doing nothing at all. PFA. Thanks!

IMG_0657.jpeg

Last edited:
If it's the original brick, it's doing nothing by now, and perhaps is even clogged and causing excessive back pressure. I would remove it and replace with a cheap weld-in. Truck will run quieter and you won't get that exhaust stink. If you don't care about any of that, then by all means remove it.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess there’s no benefit in keeping this. Maybe I’ll take it out and see if there are any big changes and then replace it with a new one if the smell is annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom