Ship an engine in the back? XC Towing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goldbug

SILVER Star
Threads
I live in RI and am about to become a first time FJ owner. The vehicle out west, and has a recently rebuilt f1.5 engine from a 1975 iron pig installed. However, he also has the original 2F engine, and is going to include that. I'm debating two things:

1. Do I drive out, perhaps with my 7 year old in my 4Runner and tow it back or ship it? It has a connection on the front bumper for a tow and PO has towed it before. Assuming this isn't bad for the FJ? Would be 2,500 miles though.
2. Is it crazy to have the spare engine in the back during the trip whether I tow it or have it shipped? He said he's done it before, moving from one state to another, and I'd plan to secure it as well as humanly possible with tie downs, 2x4s, etc.

Thanks, excited to embark on my FJ journey!

@Riverrunner
Shipping would be best IMO. Aaron can tell you if a shipper would accept it with an engine in the back.
Summit Auto Transport - search for threads about them here.

Just requested a quote for 40series on open carrier from VA (24402) to FL (32433).

Look froward to hearing from you. Thanks
@Riverrunner
Shipping would be best IMO. Aaron can tell you if a shipper would accept it with an engine in the back.
Thanks buddy. I believe I spoke to him already.

@Riverrunner
Ok, do you think shipping would be best since it's just a long drive, or because it wouldn't be good for the FJ to tow it behind a vehicle on all 4 wheels (vs on a trailer)?
thanks

2500 miles 1 way, so you'd have to drive 2500 miles to get it? Is it drive-able? Does it run? If so fly out and drive it back. Take your time and see the sites of our great nation. The fare would be cheap and probably no lines at the airport ;). A tow bar probably wouldn't hurt it, I'd probably pull the drive shafts. It should be relatively drive-able in the 1st place for that kind of distance. I'd certainly check all the fluids and do required maintenance to eliminate any chances of breakdowns. Whats the tires like? Can a 4runner handle the load safely and stop the load. It sounds like you might be going over the Rockies. Flat towing wouldn't be my 1st choice. I think the engine in the back wouldn't be a big deal, but it would add weight to the 40, the tow vehicle should be considerably heavier than what it is towing. I'm not sure that's a 4 runner. I'd prefer to put it on a trailer with brakes and have a truck that can handle the load, just for a sense security and ease of travel or have it shipped.

Last edited:
Not sure what 4Runner you have? I would do it with my 04 Runner that has a V8. As for the engine in back I would put 2X6 boards on the floor to spread the weight around verses just a few points. Would also strap it down so would slide around. Rear driveshaft removed and front hubs in free wheel. If it doesn't have locking hubs remove the front driveshaft as well. Check the oil in the rear diff. Front diff is no locking hubs. Lift the front wheel and check the front wheel bearing. While not as long I did tow a FJ40 well over a thousand miles. Vehicle had been sitting for years. I ended up removing the front brake shoes and wiring the wheel cylinders pistons together. Greased the front wheel bearings and adjusted them. I also took along four wheels with good tires. If you don't want to go thru all the extra effort I would have it shipped. But the loose engine is a big question. Most commercial car haulers I see cars are not level. Hate see where a loose engine might end up if sitting on a angle that many miles.
I have towed a lot of cruisers around the west coast. Even before I joined Mud someone posted a picture of me towing a FJ25 FST on a car hauler. It had a later FJ40 on it. Since the cruiser was not built for a hard top I had it held on with straps. Had some commons about that in the thread it was posted in. But it arrived with the hard top still there. Have read a few threads where hard top caps disappeared while being transported. Personally I prefer to tow back myself because I can verify personally that everything is in good shape and we'll secured for the journey.

Ok, do you think shipping would be best since it's just a long drive, or because it wouldn't be good for the FJ to tow it behind a vehicle on all 4 wheels (vs on a trailer)?
thanks
Flat towing for such a long distance. When I calculate costs including my time (and wear and tear on me), anything over 2 days makes shipping a better choice for me.

Also depends on the tow vehicle as mentioned above.

Oh by the way, an FJ40 is known as an FJ40 or just 40. The FJ is a completely different model (FJ Cruiser).

Thanks all. I think I’m gonna do the drive. Been way too long since I’ve seen real mountains and it is one beautiful country. Really just debating now whether to rent a uHaul vehicle trailer or do it with a tow bar.
Shipping may well be more practical, but something about dojng it myself and the adventure is really appealing.

I'll second the notion that, all things considered, it's smarter to have it shipped. But, what's the fun in that? I usually take the hard way for the adventure myself.

But, I strongly urge you to rent a uhaul vehicle trailer to have the trailer brakes for stopping. Coming down any long grade will fade out your 4runner brakes and either end up killing you or scaring you near to death. Dragging it across town without supplemental brakes? Sure, why not. Dragging it across country...No way.

I’ve read some horror stories about Uhaul equipment breaking, and then them saying you weren’t using it ‘appropriately’ so you’re not covered.

And then there was Marcus @Walkerm916 who lost a tire, and lost both his tow rig and his cruiser. 😢

Buy a trailer and sell it when you get home. It’d be more money up front, but is easily the safest way to go. You’ll take a hit on the trailer, but it might be better than the cost of a Uhual trailer. My biggest issue would be wanting to keep it when I got home.
Flat towing 2500 miles? That’s a lot of variables and chances of damaging your new toy.
Just my opinion.

Also Roma? Not sure of user name had a blow out on one of his tow trailers tires and it totally the gorgeous fully restores Mustard 40. Anyone else remember that thread? Take your time, drive slow, check trailer tires frequently👍 Above all, enjoy the adventure and be sure to post up pics we all love that!

Totaled, not totally

I've never been a fan of flat towing, I would personally trailer the rig myself. Cross country road trips are something I enjoy.

Trailers have brakes, flat towing a rig you're relying on your tow rig brakes to do all the work.

Don't assume Uhaul or other companies will rent you a trailer, you need to contact them. They have restrictions to cover their butt. They may not like what you're putting on their trailer or not like your tow vehicle and want you to rent their truck to pull their trailer. I had a friend who wanted to rent 1, when he told them he was going to load a Defender 90 on it, they wouldn't rent it to him. The vehicle was to expensive.

Don't assume Uhaul or other companies will rent you a trailer, you need to contact them. They have restrictions to cover their butt. They may not like what you're putting on their trailer or not like your tow vehicle and want you to rent their truck to pull their trailer. I had a friend who wanted to rent 1, when he told them he was going to load a Defender 90 on it, they wouldn't rent it to him. The vehicle was to expensive.

That's why I always tell them I'm towing a Honda Civic.

Not that I'd put a 40 on a Uhaul trailer for a long distance.

4Runners started in the mid eighties with a four cylinder 22R. 4th gen was available with the 4.7 V8. Now specs as for V6 at least as far as HP is even higher. Even with owning a car hauler I wouldn't use it to tow that distance with my V8 4Runner. Since buying a Sequoia with a 5.7 V8 have no longer used the car hauler the 4Runner. Another option is a dolly for the front wheels. But then have to be sure the engine in the rear isn't pushing against the back doors. Would assume ambulance doors if cruiser originally had a 2F. Very few 75+ FST FJ40s in the US.

FYI a 75 FJ55 would have a 2F not the last version of F155. Commonly referred to as the F1.5.

Thanks all, the current plan is to rent a truck or "large SUV" from a rental company, and rent a car trailer from UHaul and drive out and back next week. I agree that flat towing my new toy that far would make me super nervous and the trip a lot less enjoyable even if all went well. I lined up lawns to throw a tent on for the trip out and back and will even be making a stop at Landcruiser Nation (Thanks @overton !). I'll definitely post pics.

interesting note on the '75 FJ55 having a 2F, that would be great if that's what's in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom