Ship an engine in the back? XC Towing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look into local rental companies for at least the trailer. Rented a couple of times from U-Haul, they were a PITA to deal with and very expensive. Local company I used staff was very helpful/knowledgeable ( in and out in less than twenty minutes including hooking up trailer) and just a little over half the cost.

How far west are you going ?

I’ve towed a 40 on a U-Haul trailer almost 1000mi and over the Rockies but that was behind a full size diesel pick-up . No issues. I have done shorter distances of 2-300 miles as well. Again no issues. But I do keep the speeds down. (Except the one time I kinda let the testosterone get the better of me and raced with a guy towing a double horse trailer. I figured it was a fair fight ”/)

I also recently used a U-Haul tow dolly to move my 40 about 400 mi. Still, no issues... with towing. The problem is with the U-Haul companies and how they manage and rent their equipment.

With either the trailers or the dollies you’ll have to confirm that the tire straps are long enough to securely reach around your tires and into the ratcheting lockdowns. The straps get worn back and the service centers will just keep trimming them until they’re too short to use on anything other than a Mini-Cooper. The old ones. I once picked up a trailer after hours and, after finding out that the straps wouldn’t reach around my 31x10.50s, I had to drive the twenty miles back to rental yard after dark, break in, and switch out both of my too-short straps with a set on a second trailer. Nowadays I test the truck on the dolly or trailer before I shell out the cash.

Let me add here that I also use at least 4 (on trailers) and 2 (on dollies) of my own ratchet straps from the frame or axles to the tow device and I really reef ‘em down. I lock the steering wheel with a "Club" so the front wheels won't move and put everything in 4Hi and set the brake (t-case mounted). With dollies definitely remove the rear drive shaft. Also, dollies are very difficult to back up as there are too many pivot points. At least for me. Plan accordingly.

The other problem with U-Haul is they will rent stuff out from under you in a heart beat. I asked to pay for the last dolly three days in advance but when I went t get it I was told that the salesperson had only “reserved” it. They said I was an hour late getting there after my reserved time. (Huh? What reserved time? I’ve got the thing for two days!) They’d already rented to a guy who was racing from a town 50 miles away to get it and there were no other dollies within 300 miles. I finally had to be an absolute jerk by raising my voice and creating a bit of a scene (something I just never do) to get the regional manager on the phone to straighten things out or I would have been screwed. I had already turned in the keys to our rental in a town where I didn’t know anybody, the 40 was parked on a city street, and the :princess: had left the day before. Sorry for being long-winded. HTH

Two years ago I tried to rent a truck with a trailer hitch and it was difficult and expensive. It could be cheaper to fly out west, rent there for one way use.

I made it back safe and sound. Was a good trip, though a bit long. Tahoe was awesome, no issues on hills. Took 80/70 out and 80 back. U-haul car carrier was also very good. Straps weren't nearly long enough for the 33" tires, but I brought my own that worked well. It's a sturdy and wide trailer though, so didn't seem tippy or anything. Did 5,549 miles total. Whew..

Attached is a pic of the '78 on the trailer, and next to my brother in law's '77.

It's got some cosmetic stuff I'm excited to quickly tackle, and some mechanical stuff I'm less excited about. It needs a lot of pumping the gas to get going, and is better when warmed up (after at least 10 mins), but sputters a lot. I drove it about 15 miles/30 mins yesterday and at the end the engine raced and wouldn't come down. I looked it over with two long time FJ40 owners and their conclusion was it wasn't a carb problem like the PO had suggested, but perhaps timing. I know it's got bad gas in it, so planning to fix that today or tomorrow, but i suspect there's more to it. Reminds me a bit of my '78 BMW airhead that had similar issues. Anyone have suggestions on where to find a mechanic near me who knows something about vehicles with carbs, in case i can't do it all myself? Thanks in advance for the guidance, new to the whole site and ownership.

side by side.JPG

Trailer in utah.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom