shackle reversal write up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got my kit from proffittscruisers (Excellent Vendor)
so i will post pics and briefly comment on each one.

first open box and look at parts

remove springs

then torch off the hangers
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG

the only problem i ran into was th saginaw box was in the way of the driver side, some creativity and i got it off
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG

the rear hangers came off super easy no problems there
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG

heres how it sits as of today, ran out of time last night and will be back at it tonight, i plan on getting the front hangers on and the holes drilled in the frame for the sleeve in the rear for the shackle.

i will be flipping the springs for extra wheel base.
IMG_1153.JPG

okay got some more work done,

cleaned the area with a grinder to get good welds and tacked the hangers into place
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG

once tacked remeasured to make sure things are right were i wanted them, then layed down some welds to permanantley attach them
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG

after welding the front spring hangers on i then measured 42 inches back from the middle of the spring hangers to the frame (as per proffitscruisers instrictions) and marked.
IMG_1166.JPG

busted out the hole saw (1 1/2 inch) and drilled away. making sure that my holes were straight i drilled through the fram on both sides.
IMG_1168.JPG

then inserted the supplied sleeve through the frame and welded it into place. hit it with some primer,
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG

painted hangers and sleeves, next step put it all back together,
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG

besides a hole saw, how did you make sure the hole in the frame is true?
was it just measuring on the inside of the frame rail like the outside?

nice work by the way :beer:

jim

2badfjs said:
besides a hole saw, how did you make sure the hole in the frame is true?
was it just measuring on the inside of the frame rail like the outside?

nice work by the way :beer:

jim

thanks

yes,

and when i put the sleeve in i hung a level, and a shackle made sure it was all square.

great writeup, looks like a great kit, I did the same thing but just swapped the front and rear hangers, used the former front hangers tubing and inserted into the frame as you did. More work this way and the kit looks cleaner and much easier for sure. Let us know how the ride feels and if you can tell the difference. I am curious as I went straight to SOA/reversal. Good job!

Noah

thank you thank, the onething that still amazes me every time i do some job like this on my rig, is that it turns out to be much easier than i first think, at first seems over whelming but once you get your hands dirty and get to work its not that bad, just like the soa i thought wtf am i doing, then i turned out nicely.

Is Jeremiah Proffitt on this board?

I plan on doing an shackle reversal when I do my SOA.
But Iwill be outboarding my springs.
I'd like to know if he carries an offset shackle that I can use for this.

Probably a dumb question but, why do some people extend the frame 1.5" for the SR- to clear the ps box mount or is there another reason?

oh and great write up!

BLKDOG40 said:
Probably a dumb question but, why do some people extend the frame 1.5" for the SR- to clear the ps box mount or is there another reason?

oh and great write up!

not a dumb question, I was wondering as well. I think for most people it is about lengthening their wheelbase and yes getting it away from the ps box. I had no problems just swapping end to end but it was kinda tight now that i look at it. I didn't want to move the front tires too far forward as I think it looks kinda funny. When I did mine, I flipped the top spring and redrilled so it did push the front axle up some, now the front tires line up with the front lip of my fenders.

Noah

HawkDriver said:
Great work Cam,

Button her up already. :D

And are you getting any lift out of this? If so, are you just lengthening your rear shackles?

some people are never satisfied;p
proffitts told me that itll change slightly, not enough to tell a diff, but we'll see, get the ssprings on tonight or tomorrow. im excited myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom