shackle reversal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not asked many questions, but you guys have answered many questions that I have had, and I have not seen this question asked yet, I am doing a reversal, spring over and cut and turn and I have never bought a kit for anything, always bought peices and parts asnd made my kits, anyway I have a 76 fj40 and I am ready to cut the holes in the frame for the shackle in the front, and it seems to me that the shackle if it has a support or the spring end will hit frame before full compression and bind, it seems like the piviot should be on the bottom of frame instead of threw the frame, am I thinking wrong or what, if anyone could shed some light on this it would be great

There should be a hanger welded to the frame. I have never seen a shackle bolted through a frame.

Hi All:

Are you re-locating the shackles from the front of the axle to behind it?

If so, use a bracket welded to the front of the frame (under the front bumper) for the fixed end of the spring. The caster of the axle can be dealt with through the cut and turn of the front axle tube.

For the reversed front shackles, it is common to weld the shackle bracket onto the frame rails, but you don't have to.

A buddy of mine runs the top shackle bolt through the frame rail. He re-inforced the frame rail, including sleeving the shackle bolt to keep the frame rail from collapsing.

This allows for a bit of lower SOA swap.

Regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
. . . . . I am doing a reversal, spring over and cut and turn and . . . . . . I have a 76 fj40 and I am ready to cut the holes in the frame for the shackle in the front, and it seems to me that the shackle if it has a support or the spring end will hit frame before full compression and bind, it seems like the piviot should be on the bottom of frame instead of threw the frame, am I thinking wrong or what, if anyone could shed some light on this it would be great

Sure, you go to shackle reversal in teck link on this sight and you weld in a bushing that your shackles bolt to

The frame sleeve is one of the more common ways to relocate the shackle to the rear on an SOA. Ruffstuff and several others offer the DOM tube with matched heavy duty bushings for this purpose. Yes, you will need to run a slightly longer shackle. But just locating the mount to under the frame adds almost 2" PLUS the shackle length, versus going through the frame.

Again I have the sleave and I bought a shackle 1 and 1/2 inches longer then stock and my shackle has a support in the middle which looks like it will hit frame brfore the spring is at full compression, do I need a longer shackle, or one that does not have the support in it, or instead of going threw frame, weld bushing on the bottom side of frame, or would this not be strong enough?

Ran into this problem before. You have anti-inversion shackles, right? Flip it around so the center bar faces forward.

I've seen a lot of the through the frame shackle positions, bottoming out at the bottom bolt/ spring.
I didn't like that so I mounted the hanger on the bottom.

Through the frame is a good theory but if your not careful you can damage your springs. I think people do it most often thinking it will lower the ride height but because the shackles have to be so so much longer
for the spring eye to clear the frame at full compression the savings over a frame bracket and a shorter shackle are slight.

Through the frame is a good theory but if your not careful you can damage your springs. I think people do it most often thinking it will lower the ride height but because the shackles have to be so so much longer
for the spring eye to clear the frame at full compression the savings over a frame bracket and a shorter shackle are slight.

ding ding

lower center of gravity, i didnt want a tall rig. if your shackles are long enough they wont hit the frame

Reverse shackle/anti-inversion

Hi gang!
I just read this whole thread looking for the answers I need, but to no avail.
My issue is this: I have an FJ60 with shackle reversal, 2" OME Dakar heavy duty springs (to accommodate for ARB bumper, winch, properly located 350 V-8, and other weight-adding mods.) The shackle is the "one-in, one-out" style that fits outside the spring, but inside the original spring hanger on the frame. The ride height and caster are really good. The loaded curve of the springs leaves the shackle at an open-angle that I worry about inverting it if I lift a wheel.
Questions:
Does anyone know of longer shackles of this style?
I have about 1.2-2" of excess spring hanger that could be shortened up, and use a longer reverse/anti-inversion shackle?
Would a thru-frame sleeve and longer shackle serve me better?
I have a lot of options here, but am looking for the best/easiest one. :p

Thanks, Y'all!

Tim

A pic of it:
IMG_1138.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom