Sequoia vs 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is also ofcourse the other way around. The chinese copied toyota, and not toyota the chinese.

"The BAW Luba debuted in 2005 and is essentially an unlicensed copy of the Toyota Landcruiser 90-series or the Land Cruiser Prado produced from 1996 to 2002."

I’ve heard that the 100 series land cruiser is just a rebadged BAW Luba so i would take a sequoia over that any day

View attachment 2426660

Yeah the engineers and designers used both that and the Subaru Forester as inspiration for the 100.

Azteks are sick.
And thicccccc 🤤

1599424934752.jpeg

Sequoias are a great bang for the buck. I’ve had two.
F887E97B-A59F-49D0-AF46-A0AAB36D8DF4.jpeg
3D6EB6A5-B323-415B-ABA4-91FEF74EAEA2.jpeg

If you need the space, it’s the one to get.
The build quality on a Land Cruiser is on another planet. “It’s [built] more like a commercial vehicle.”

If you are looking for a bigger build, a first gen Sequoia will out wheel a 100 series. Better wheelbase, better clearance.

You’ll rip the steering rack out of the frame and figure out what it’s like choosing your fuse location so you should go straight to SAS if you are serious about it.

That one I posted above is my son’s. It has 380K miles and runs perfectly. He found out that you can’t upgrade the intermediate stub shaft in the 7.5 front and is selling the LT kit. One Tina time.

But…before it popped he got a little bit further up that triple ledge than I did on my 80 on 38s and a JL on 37’s. Those things are tall because Toyota tucked everything up high. 37s on the Sequoia.

You can make a monster out of one of these. If you don’t wheel in crazy tight spaces, SAS and 40’s is in the equation. You just can’t expect to work with 3rd gen 4Runner / 1st gen Taco parts.

After that, axle upgrades are axle upgrades. I would put 40’s here before I could stomach one tons in an 80. That poor Dana frame hardly even has any rust and you don’t feel like you are doing a 2004 Sequoia any injustice going fully under the knife.

@Nay You're saying replace both axles, steering and SAS the thing. And you're saying the Sequoia has a better wheelbase (6" longer) and it has everything better tucked up underneath than a 100. Drivetrain is virtually the same between the 100 and Sequoia.

So how is the longer sequoia wheelbase better when you SAS it you can just extend the 100 wheelbase 6"+ and reduce the approach and departure angles?

Better clearance? This is the Sequoia.... you can see the relation of the fuel tank and transmission crossmember to the frame.

img_3444-jpg.543673

This is the 100. The fuel tank and crossmember certainly are higher up in relation to the frame.

4768367077977862155-account_id=1.jpg

But maybe the Sequoia frame just has higher clearance than the 100 and the fuel tank and crossmember are the same height as the 100. The 100 frame is certainly more rigid than the Sequoia. Let's just compare the rear lower control arm mounting bolts. Looks like the mounting bolt is right under the fuel tank.... but barely.

49f48dcf-c525-43bc-b358-56fb67b16936-jpeg.380950 copy.jpg

This is the 100, and it looks like the bolts are either the same height or lower than the Sequoia.

A2669AF8-CA97-49DB-A00B-0C5C666094D0.jpeg

Are you seeing something different?

If you are looking for a bigger build, a first gen Sequoia will out wheel a 100 series. Better wheelbase, better clearance.

You’ll rip the steering rack out of the frame and figure out what it’s like choosing your fuse location so you should go straight to SAS if you are serious about it.

That one I posted above is my son’s. It has 380K miles and runs perfectly. He found out that you can’t upgrade the intermediate stub shaft in the 7.5 front and is selling the LT kit. One Tina time.

But…before it popped he got a little bit further up that triple ledge than I did on my 80 on 38s and a JL on 37’s. Those things are tall because Toyota tucked everything up high. 37s on the Sequoia.

You can make a monster out of one of these. If you don’t wheel in crazy tight spaces, SAS and 40’s is in the equation. You just can’t expect to work with 3rd gen 4Runner / 1st gen Taco parts.

After that, axle upgrades are axle upgrades. I would put 40’s here before I could stomach one tons in an 80. That poor Dana frame hardly even has any rust and you don’t feel like you are doing a 2004 Sequoia any injustice going fully under the knife.
It was a little hard to follow your post but I think you are basically claiming that Sequoia is a better off road platform if you make some major changes like put a solid front axle?
Wouldn't it make sense to compare the stock 100 to a stock Sequoia? 100 has better approach, departure and break over angles and better ground clearance than Sequoia in stock form! 100 also has smaller turning circle.

If you modify both platforms with similar parts (SAS and 40") tires, wouldn't 100 still have better angles and less stuff hanging below the frame (like @hoser pointed out?)

Last edited:
If the Sequoia and the Hundy were both $50k brand new…. there would be no Sequioa.

My sister’s ex has a sequoia, he claimed it was the Toyota version of an LX. Is that true?
No. The Toyota version of a LX is the LC. LX has a different suspension setup and the body is smaller. Also way higher build quality with interior sound proofing and other bells and whistles in the LX

Many try to be land cruisers but there is only one.

My sister’s ex has a sequoia, he claimed it was the Toyota version of an LX. Is that true?

If that were true then what is the Land Cruiser?

4 year old thread dug up . . .

And the GX is the Prado underpinnings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom