Sensortive question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my EGT temp sensor is being stupid and I would like to fix it. My assumption is that these wires don't have polarity as they are only looking for delta Voltage, but do they? Can't find what I am looking for in the FSM

PXL_20240215_002748419.jpg

What does “acting stupid” mean? One of two things normally happens; the ground is lost and the needle falls to zero, or the conductors short together and the needle goes to max. Wires falling out of the sensor are normally suspect….. Are new sensors still available?

What does “acting stupid” mean? One of two things normally happens; the ground is lost and the needle falls to zero, or the conductors short together and the needle goes to max. Wires falling out of the sensor are normally suspect….. Are new sensors still available?
The wires fell out. Which is pretty stupid. Its caused me problems on the other end (plug) as well, but solved those. Doesn't look like new ones are available.

30 years ago one of my college girlfriends got nectared up and started showing off her boobs. All her sorority sisters said she was "being stupid." I think the wires jumped out of the plug like the boobs and thus the sensor is being stupid. I do seem to remember more excitement over her being stupid.

Hoping someone chimes in and can help with repairing your unit as the Toyota part is NLA. I did find a replacement at O'Reilly but it is $299...ouch. If interested, the part is Ultrapower ETS53.

Simple answer to your question is the wires have polarity. The thermocouple at the end creates EMF voltage. If the wires are swapped the gauge will not read correctly. The good news is it will not destroy the dissimilar metals creating the EMF voltage to hook it up backwards. The hard part is how do you access the termination of the wires onto the dissimilar metal leads and then test and swap them before completing a solder joint.

The part of the sensor that is in the exhaust stream is essentially a thermocouple conductor that creates EMF voltage through the use of dissimilar metals. What I cannot tell from the photo is if the wires broke off where they are soldered to the thermocouple or if it is the entire thermocouple pulled out of the sensor. This is not an exposed thermocouple. Toyota as most OEM auto/truck manufacturers use enclosed style for longevity. You might be able to slit the metal crimp very carefully and unrolled it to see if you can solder the wires back on the thermocouple ends. You would then have to figure out how to roll the crimp back into place or effect another restraint for the wires (which in your case did not work well to begin with).

Maybe this helps more than my comment above about college life.

The EGT sensor, as with most automotive temperature sensors, is not a thermocouple generating voltage. Instead, it is a thermistor which varies its resistance according to temperature. While not likely to be polarity sensitive, there is a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom