Selling my HDJ80 (EU) in US after Pan-American overland expedition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.globalhoneymoon.com
Hi,

I'm preparing a Pan American roadtrip in 2017 and I am considering to buy and prepare a HDJ80 here (Belgium, that is) and sell it in the US or Canada when the trip is over. This might save me the cargo trip coming back, and I've picked up on some fora that an HDJ80 might be worth some money in North America. :)

I have a couple of questions regarding this:
- are there other restrictions beside being older than 25 years to be able to import it?
- what would be the value of a LC80 with approx. 350 - 400k km, diesel and fully equiped for an overland trip?
- are there specific requirements for the US/CA market that make them much more/less valuable? automatic/manual transmission for example?

thx for your input,

Dimitri

only non expert feedback I can provide is the following:

- The biggest determinant is service record histoy (even in Flemish), if you have had to do inspections for transport, shipping n in different continents keep them on file. RUST and the condition of the truck after it's finalization of the trip, these are wide variables.

- Depending on what you have put on it for the expedition, it may add or deter from value. Since you've added all these expedition tools/features, and used them...

- Manual, Diesel, and LHD in North America is sought after, what's going to hurt you is the kms, they're going to be high (at least for the Canadian Market)

You have to ask yourself, how much is freight back? and how much are you looking to come out with?

IIRC, the requirement is 15 years or older in Canada, except Quebec where it's 25 years.

Keep in mind that Canadians have a history of JDM imports, so the whole idea is going to be an easier sell there -- not that you couldn't find plenty of interested buyers in the US more than likely.

My gut feeling -and only that- is that the folks who may be interested in a diesel would likely prefer the manual to stay in the mood, so to speak.
In the US, it would likely be at the very least a pain and costly to register an out of the country vehicle, and probably much more so in some states than in others. Of course, if it is a highly desirable vehicle, for example a diesel 80, some folks might nevertheless bite and still offer a good price and perhaps try to register it under the radar or use it unlicensed perhaps, but that is big gamble for you to count on.
I'm not sure if a truck older than 25 would still have to be modified for US standards or not. If so, that would be very costly probably.
And I believe the rules changed recently.
I would suggest you post in the "Importing" forum as they are likely the best to answer those questions.

Hi Dim,
All this is too "abstract" planning, so to say. :rolleyes: After the trip, you will know my friend. How much do you expect to get for your HDJ80? I have already one, but might be interested..., here in Costa Rica. :)

I would suggest you post in the "Importing" forum as they are likely the best to answer those questions.
Good suggestion! I don't know my way around the forum yet, so I'll look it up!
Difficult registry is ofcourse never a positive selling point, but mostly the buyer's problem, no?

How much do you expect to get for your HDJ80?

At the moment, well maintained, fully equiped overland HDJ80's with less then 300k km's can go up to 20k € here. I'm counting on approx 2500 - 3000 dollars for the freight so I should be able to sell it for around 20k USD minimum at the current exchange rate for the operation to make sense. I read on one of these forums that prices of 25k to 35k are not unseen in the US, so that made me start thinking about this... hence, the opening questions in the thread :)

sure it's the buyer's problem, but of course, the price they'll offer will reflect that. (Well, actually, at least in California, it's the seller responsibility in principle to have the truck smog-tested on resale, but there may not be a test needed for Diesels, not sure; and that may also be a moot point for importation.) Keep in mind our vehicle registration system in the US is very different than in most Euro countries, here the laws can vary greatly from state to state. Do note also that the competition might be Japanese trucks with 50,000kms.
There are threads in that forum that detail importation of trucks into the US and California in particular, which is likely among the hardest.
And there are brokers that specialize in doing that that may be interested in buying the truck off you for resale, ask. Conceivably you could work out a draft deal with one before even coming over the pond.

Those are reasonable numbers Dim, I think. After the trip, and depending on general conditions of the vehicle, you will know better. If you do not get a good deal in USA, write me down! ;) Meanwhile, some pics will help you (for potential buyers).

I would think it would need to be in pretty sharp condition with no rust to fetch $25k+ Definitely LHD manual transmission. Also keep in mind that the people who sell imported cruisers at a high price probably have to wait for months for the right buyer to come along. How does that fit into your plan? Is it worth the $3000 to sit on your butt in North America while you work on selling your cruiser? Just a possibility to consider.

Dim, You might want to check out www.landcruisersdirect.com. They routinely import and sell diesel land cruisers here in the United States so that might give you some idea of the market. Like others have said condition, mods, and mileage will all be factors.
Cheers,
Scot

The top dollar rigs are left hand drive diesel and manual with well thought out accessories, no dodgy wiring, good cosmetic condition, no obvious leaks, good exhaust and great service history and under 250,000 km. This assumes clean install of all accessories.

Expect 20,000 - 25 Canadian tops.

It only has to be 15 years old to bring in to Canada. To pass Canadian inspection and registration it has to have good rubber, adequate brakes, and all factory electric components working.

US pricing I can't really comment other than I've see some surprising high prices on high km examples.

You would command a higher resale and interest if you could bring a troopy or hzj77. Not really tested in the Canadian market is the diesel 100 series - these are of course too new for the US market

Dimitri your biggest problem will be the lack of AC and only the front seats installed (lichte vracht).

I am importing many Cruisers from Belgium to the US but if I buy an 80 series I usually part it out and sell the drivetrain here so it can be installed in a rust free US donor truck with ac!

Consider finding a rhd somewhere in Europe they usually have ac and you will enjoy having that one your trip.

Joe

gofast brings up a good point. A 70 series might fetch a higher price since they're more rare in North America.

maybe a troop carrier will be more desirable to re sell and offering less comfort on the trip but more space ..?
-

There are not many 75/79 Cruisers available second hand and most of them if they are in good condition are still selling for 20 to 30 K in Europe so the 80 is a cheaper option amd much more comfort to travel in.

Tapage has a good point. A 70 perhaps is easier to sell... BUT (and sorry for my value jugment) there is simply no point of comparison between an 80 and a 70 regarding confort, specially for long, continental trips.

You guys aren't making it any easier :D

Fact is I haven't bought the vehicle yet, we're only leaving end of 2016 / beginning of 2017 so I still have quite some time left.
I hear all the arguments regarding the choice between a 70 and a 80 series, and I'm guessing comfort will indeed be a major item to consider for our trips. Safety and the comfort of having a higher cabine in a 70 on the other hand can't be neglected either... decisions decisions... ;)

Other conclusions that I'm drawing from the feedback in general is:
- legally it is possible, but some states might prove to be a lot more difficult than others
- Canada is probably easier as all 80's fall below the age limit and there's more import history
About the requirements for the vehicle itself:
- LHD and manual is a must
- 250k max if I would hope to get a good price (which will prove to be veeeeeeeeery difficult/expensive to find here in Europe)
- some costs are to be expected to get it back in great shape (paint, suspension and general maintenance for example) after travelling with it through some rough terrain

General conclusion: I think the plan will be to bring it back, but if a good opportunity comes around while travelling, I might always consider to sell it.

Thx a lot for all the comments and suggestions, I'll keep you guys posted in another thread when our plans are taking shape and/or I'll have purchased my temporarily mobile home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom