I took the plunge.. ('94 HDJ80) (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@FJBen explains the H4 button and more below. My guess was incorrect :)

Total guess but that H4 may simply be a re-labeled center diff lock button and the truck may also/still have the auto CDL engagement setup for when it's shifted into low range.

That would match how my US based '97 was delivered except my '97 didn't have a CDL button. I added the CDL button then did the pin 7 (think that's the right number) mod to prevent auto engagement of the CDL in low range. If I hadn't disabled auto CDL engagement then I'd only have gained the ability to lock the center diff in high range but what I really wanted was to be in low range without the center diff locked.

Last edited:
Honestly the FT was as high as I wanted to go.. FTE seemed too complicated for me and not as simple to keep going forever down the road

Where/when are the Cruiser events?
You can join TLC Toyota Land Cruiser Association.
And they list all the TLC sanctioned events.
You can also look in trails and events on Mud to see what events are coming up.

Welcome to Mud and sweet rig !!

Last edited:
Hmm this 4H button looks like it's going to be interesting...
I wonder how different it is and if it's better/worse (or both) compared to the CDL

edit* How unique is this guy?

View attachment 3546188

What an awesome 80!

This rig is part time, 2wd. You can see the aisin hubs on the front wheels. No CDL as it doesn’t have the same setup. Should be the hf1a tcase.

So to use 4wd, you have to lock the hubs outside first, then push the H4 button. That will lock the tcase front output to be in 4wd high.

Stop, push in clutch then shift to L4 to be in low range 4x4. In theory you can have 2wd low without pushing the H4 button and not locking the hubs.

Now wether it’s better is up to personal preference. As soon as you hit H4 the power is locked 50/50 front rear. Same power split with the awd 80s Push off H4 and you are 100% rear wheel drive.

Personally, it’s much cooler being part time factory, although you don’t get to brag about “triple locked” (I hate that term) where are all the “single locked” CDL brethren?…

Hey thank you! I feel I paid a bit much

Everything I posted pic wise is from the ad so I'm not seeing one where it's missing... are you talking about how the hose looks like it just goes to nothing?

I did notice there are 2 different times engine pics were taken...you can tell by the battery securement bar...it was original in one pic and new in the others
Yes that is what I was referring to.

Congratulations on the LC. From the pictures it appears you are missing a hose from the heater control valve. But I went back to the ad on BAT and looked at the pictures there as well, you are good to go. On my 94 I have a hose that runs down to the pesky heater hose under the intake and assuming since yours is diesel you do not have that hose.

This truck does not have a rear heater assembly ergo, no hose.

-Did I pay too much?
I thought the same thing when I bought mine (1997 HDJ80). I don't think that anymore after having it for a couple years. I wouldn't let mine go for what you paid.
Monday I plan on testing this thing out with a drive down from the top of the US to the bottom...currently preparing for the worst lol
I've driven worse cars further. You'll be fine.
The purchase price will quickly fade in the rear view...
Yup.
Hmm this 4H button looks like it's going to be interesting...
I wonder how different it is and if it's better/worse (or both) compared to the CDL

edit* How unique is this guy?
@FJBen explained the 4WD system perfectly. As to "how unique is this guy?", I'm assuming you mean the car, not the H4 button, but either way, your new car is equipped much differently than any 80-series sold in the USA.

What you have is sometimes referred to as a "general market" car, which means not the USA/Canada, Europe, Japan, or Australia, but pretty much the rest of the world (give or take). So if you were somewhere else, that car is sort of typical, but since you're in the USA, it's pretty unique.

You'll love it.

Nice truck! As has been explained, the 4H button is not exactly the same as the CDL button on a full-time 4x4 80 - lock the hubs and then when you want 4x4, hit the button. In my experience, if you ease on the throttle and the hubs are locked, it should shift quite happily while you're moving.

Just to correct the record on some earlier posts, the 80 series was never offered with a 1HD-FTE engine.

Lastly, time for a 3" exhaust - best bang for your buck upgrade you can do to a 1HD-## powered vehicle!

What an awesome 80!

This rig is part time, 2wd. You can see the aisin hubs on the front wheels. No CDL as it doesn’t have the same setup. Should be the hf1a tcase.

So to use 4wd, you have to lock the hubs outside first, then push the H4 button. That will lock the tcase front output to be in 4wd high.

Stop, push in clutch then shift to L4 to be in low range 4x4. In theory you can have 2wd low without pushing the H4 button and not locking the hubs.

Now wether it’s better is up to personal preference. As soon as you hit H4 the power is locked 50/50 front rear. Same power split with the awd 80s Push off H4 and you are 100% rear wheel drive.

Personally, it’s much cooler being part time factory, although you don’t get to brag about “triple locked” (I hate that term) where are all the “single locked” CDL brethren?…
Thank you! Not just for the compliment but also for the information on this... it helps alot! It's like a nugget of gold.
RWD can be fun I'm loving this thing already lol I do wonder if the idea behind this h4 part time was fuel mileage, longevity or cost..

Would I damage anything if I hit the H4 button while moving?
Why do you not like the term "triple locked"?

I guess the seller was misinformed when he said this in his listing..
"Power is routed to all four wheels through an H151F five-speed manual transmission, a dual-range transfer case, and a locking center differential."
Not that I fault him or anything at all, it's totally easy to just assume they were both the same. If I wasn't here I bet I would of done it.

Thank you again for this information!

This truck does not have a rear heater assembly ergo, no hose.
Does this mean I have no rear heat and if so is that manufactured that way? I ask because I see vents in the rear on the roof.
I'm probably missing something obvious here but I try to always ask

edit* here's the pic with the vents

Clipboard05.jpg

I thought the same thing when I bought mine (1997 HDJ80). I don't think that anymore after having it for a couple years. I wouldn't let mine go for what you paid.
This is really good to hear

I've driven worse cars further. You'll be fine.
The thing is I don't think it has been driven much in the last 6 years.. maybe 2500 miles. And where it came from to where it is now is 2000 miles. That is concerning to me and I'm going to speak with the seller today and see if I'm correct in my deducing of the little details of it that I wish I had the time to do before the purchase but it was 1 day out from the end of it and I had a full days work in the middle

@FJBen explained the 4WD system perfectly.
Indeed he did and I will be rereading it at least a dozen times lol

What you have is sometimes referred to as a "general market" car, which means not the USA/Canada, Europe, Japan, or Australia, but pretty much the rest of the world (give or take). So if you were somewhere else, that car is sort of typical, but since you're in the USA, it's pretty unique.
I didn't know that thank you. This thing sounds alot like me!

Nice truck! As has been explained, the 4H button is not exactly the same as the CDL button on a full-time 4x4 80 - lock the hubs and then when you want 4x4, hit the button. In my experience, if you ease on the throttle and the hubs are locked, it should shift quite happily while you're moving.

Just to correct the record on some earlier posts, the 80 series was never offered with a 1HD-FTE engine.

Lastly, time for a 3" exhaust - best bang for your buck upgrade you can do to a 1HD-## powered vehicle!
Is it bad to keep the hubs locked like in wear and tear or fuel mileage? Am I wrong in thinking that if I did that it would just be the same as a full time 4wd 80?

How fast were you going when you hit the h4 button while moving?

And thank you for that clarification on the FTE! For some reason I was grouping them all together.

It's funny you say that about the exhaust...I'm thinking (at this point at least) that I will keep most things pretty close to as is and factory but I will certainly be seeing about removing the CA stuff almost immediately. I want this thing to be able to breathe! The only thing that might come earlier is cup holders lol
Do you recommend it with a straight pipe or with a resonator? Wonder how loud it is straight..
Any good brands that stand out for this vehicle?

I do wonder if the idea behind this h4 part time was fuel mileage, longevity or cost.
Maybe a bit of all those. It's a somewhat simpler system than the full-time 4WD, so probably easier to maintain in parts of the world with less developed infrastructure.
Depends. If your front hubs are locked and you're on dry pavement, maybe, but in any situation with limited traction (sand, gravel, mud, etc.) no.
Is it bad to keep the hubs locked like in wear and tear or fuel mileage? Am I wrong in thinking that if I did that it would just be the same as a full time 4wd 80?
With the H4 button not pushed, keeping the hubs locked will increase wear and tear and decrease fuel mileage and gain you nothing. With the H4 button in and the front hubs locked, it would be just the same as a full-time 4WD 80 with the CDL engaged. There is no way to configure your car to be the same as a full-time 4WD 80 with a disengaged CDL because your car has no center differential. Without a center diff, you shouldn't drive the car in 4WD on dry pavement.
Sweet! Here in Texas that's the way to have it
Just like Honduras.

@OGBeno
How did you determine the no heat? Mine looks similar.
Does that mean we avoid the PHH to the rear thats most common a problem?

Maybe a bit of all those. It's a somewhat simpler system than the full-time 4WD, so probably easier to maintain in parts of the world with less developed infrastructure.

Depends. If your front hubs are locked and you're on dry pavement, maybe, but in any situation with limited traction (sand, gravel, mud, etc.) no.

With the H4 button not pushed, keeping the hubs locked will increase wear and tear and decrease fuel mileage and gain you nothing. With the H4 button in and the front hubs locked, it would be just the same as a full-time 4WD 80 with the CDL engaged. There is no way to configure your car to be the same as a full-time 4WD 80 with a disengaged CDL because your car has no center differential. Without a center diff, you shouldn't drive the car in 4WD on dry pavement.

Just like Honduras.
Simple is my cup of tea and why I didn't mind that much in not getting the fancier FT engine (that is what the F stands for in FT right?) ;)

Thank you for the clarity with H4...so driving in H4 at higher speeds (say the interstate) is still ok in slippery conditions right?

Thank you! Not just for the compliment but also for the information on this... it helps alot! It's like a nugget of gold.
RWD can be fun I'm loving this thing already lol I do wonder if the idea behind this h4 part time was fuel mileage, longevity or cost..

Why do you not like the term "triple locked"?

I guess the seller was misinformed when he said this in his listing..

Not that I fault him or anything at all, it's totally easy to just assume they were both the same. If I wasn't here I bet I would of done it.

Thank you again for this information!

Toyota does all sorts of options on vehicles so it could be a combo of trim levels, market etc.

You won’t damage anything by hitting the H4 button while moving, especially if you hubs aren’t locked in. Hubs locked in give you that 50% power from the tcase. You possibly could damage something if you are on dry pavement/concrete trying to turn and engage that with hubs locked. That’s a lot of drivetrain bind. That’s true of any 4wd that the tcase is in a 50/50 split.
You CAN keep the hubs locked in the push the button at any speed to be 4wd. No reason to have the hubs locked unless you are on long dirt roads and don’t want to get out to change hubs.
TLDR: don’t engage it on dry pavement

Why don’t I like the triple locked term? I’m maybe an old school 80 guy and apparently cranky. IMO, an 80 is factory locked or not. No one calls them single locked….ever. It either has lockers or not. It’s just a weird term I’m triggered on 😂 that seems to have been a more recent term. Now techinically is it a center diff that locks? Yes it is, but again no one ever calls their 80 single locked proudly.

But yes, seller was wrong when stated center diff lock.

It’s a killer 80, with a setup everyone would love to have. Really the only option people think it’s missing is the factory lockers. If you really wanted to go all out you can retrofit, and this one Probabaly deserves that, but harrop or ARBs are arguably better for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom