Euro Spec HDJ80 Electrical Gremlins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Finally got my HDJ80 on the road and have been driving it daily. I am discovering multiple little electrical gremlins.

1: No high beams or fog lights. I have low beams only, no power is getting to the high beam circuit. Fuses are good. When you switch the high beams on neither one comes on and there is no high beam indicator on the dash. Also if it has a faulty switch which I suspect, will it be different being that it's a euro spec RHD, or will any switch work?

2: I have a constant (Door/Hatch) open indicator light on that remains constant.

3: My Fuel level gauge (1HDT turbo diesel) is stuck on E with no low fuel indicator light on (Sending unit?)

Any help would be appreciated. This euro rig is definitely taking some getting used to HAHA.

Hi all,

Finally got my HDJ80 on the road and have been driving it daily. I am discovering multiple little electrical gremlins.

1: No high beams or fog lights. I have low beams only, no power is getting to the high beam circuit. Fuses are good. When you switch the high beams on neither one comes on and there is no high beam indicator on the dash. Also if it has a faulty switch which I suspect, will it be different being that it's a euro spec RHD, or will any switch work?

2: I have a constant (Door/Hatch) open indicator light on that remains constant.

3: My Fuel level gauge (1HDT turbo diesel) is stuck on E with no low fuel indicator light on (Sending unit?)

Any help would be appreciated. This euro rig is definitely taking some getting used to HAHA.

#1 is probably the switch on the steering column. Mine is also with the same issue and it needs a new turn signal hi/lo switch.

#2 I just went through this. If you put both of the overhead lights in the 'door' position which one stays on with the doors closed? The door sensing uses grounding switches, so if any part of the wires or switches touch ground, the light comes on. To troubleshoot:
  • Unscrew each door switch, pull it out and let it hang there. Keep the doors open. This 'disconnects' them.
  • Unplug the connector going to the rear hatch latch (under the plastic trim)
  • The light should be out. If it's still on, you have a wiring short somewhere in the harness and it will probably be hard to find. If the light is out, proceed
  • Go to each door, one at a time and screw the switch back in. Check each door open/closed for proper light on/off. One of them will be your issue.
  • The rear hatch switch seems to require replacement of the entire latch, the switch is buried inside the latch mechanism.

#1 is probably the switch on the steering column. Mine is also with the same issue and it needs a new turn signal hi/lo switch.

#2 I just went through this. If you put both of the overhead lights in the 'door' position which one stays on with the doors closed? The door sensing uses grounding switches, so if any part of the wires or switches touch ground, the light comes on. To troubleshoot:
  • Unscrew each door switch, pull it out and let it hang there. Keep the doors open. This 'disconnects' them.
  • Unplug the connector going to the rear hatch latch (under the plastic trim)
  • The light should be out. If it's still on, you have a wiring short somewhere in the harness and it will probably be hard to find. If the light is out, proceed
  • Go to each door, one at a time and screw the switch back in. Check each door open/closed for proper light on/off. One of them will be your issue.
  • The rear hatch switch seems to require replacement of the entire latch, the switch is buried inside the latch mechanism.
Thank you !!! I just developed a slight diesel leak too so its a good thing I'm off work today. Time to trouble shoot. Will report back....

Update: Fixed the open door light situation. The drivers side door jam apparently had been dented ever so slightly where the switch mounts. 2 thin flat washers behind it and bada bing we are back in business with functional dome lights and no more dash light on.

Still no clue where the diesel leak came from. Degreased injection pump and pressure washed what I could under the engine bay and so far no leak has returned. I plan on replacing the rubber fuel hoses in the near future.

Replaced the halogen headlights with some upgraded LED's will be adjusting those this evening.

Have you solved the high beam issue.
My 1995 HD FT 80 just started with your exact issue.
Testing the fuses under the hood reveal no power to high beam fuses.
Power at Low Beam fuses.
I seem to recall that both High and Low beam fuses have "Power" when testing.
Swapped the red/rust "Head" relay no change.
Opened up the "Dim" relay, and it works.
If I energize the high beam fuses with a jumper the beams and blue indicator light up.
Took off the steering wheel to investigate the stalk, and to test...everything seems normal.
BTW
If you want to replace the stalk you should have direct match with the FZJ80 series.
Lots of these around.
Any other suggestions are welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom