seam sealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went to an Auto Value and got the clear Joint and Seam Sealer. It was the house brand.

I taped off each side of the cowl joint and gagged it in the joint, then wiped the excess off with my wet finger (it works realy well with silicone sealants) and then pulled off the tape. It did not turn out as neat as I had hoped. The sealer seemed to flash much quiker than silicone.

It also sank into the joint a bit as it dried anthough it still seals well.

So far the paint is still sticking to it OK.

Here's a few pics.

DSCF2075.jpg
DSCF2077.jpg

And a couple more.

DSCF2078.jpg
DSCF2079.jpg
DSCF2080.jpg

Brian, I'm an Evercoat products fan myself... their OEM bead type is what I used recently on my build. Very happy with the results and the ease of workability. It feathers nicely and goes on uniformly if you have a steady hand.

I've used the 3M in both the caulk and tape and they are high quality as well. Just higher prices.

J

Is there a specific method to recreate the factory line of seam filler. I know for a fact that I do not have that steady of a hand.

I cut my tip angle at approx. 45˚ with about a 1/4" (+/-) opening. I apply it just like silicone, bathroom caulk (drag it steadily and keep tip at the same distance away from panel to achieve a uniform look.) After your done you can go back over it with lacquer thinner to clean-up any mishaps or to help feather it in.

J

Spoon

I've had real good luck using disposable plastic spoons as a final shaping tool once the sealer is squeezed into place. Have a few on hand and somewhere to set them down when they get loaded with excess. Start by putting the narrowest tip of the spoon into the groove and drag slowly. It keeps a uniform distance from the edges and gives a nice clean shape. Don't let the sealer build up on the spoon too much or it will start to spill out over the edges and make a mess. When the start to get full, wipe them out with a paper towel or get a new spoon.

sealer before any paint? or primer then sealer then paint?

huh?

Sealer is used after your bodywork and usually applied just before painting.

Or, are you talking about seam sealer still? I would prime and do bodywork, seam seal, spray sealer coat, then paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom