Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great man! Really liking the quality of your work. Looking forward to seeing this rig in person some day.

the build is a result covid boredom and probably some OCD

COVID/OCD Club checking in :rofl:

@Delta VS - if you produced a solenoid mounting plate that could be fastened/ clamped in place to your winch access holes I'd definitely have bought one. A properly sized and powder coated piece of aluminum to avoid corrosion issues and make it easily workable to mount the solenoid would have been ideal.

Covering one of the access holes turned out to be a non issue mounting the bumper. Popped the grill off and had good access to the bolts.

@Delta VS - if you produced a solenoid mounting plate that could be fastened/ clamped in place to your winch access holes I'd definitely have bought one. A properly sized and powder coated piece of aluminum to avoid corrosion issues and make it easily workable to mount the solenoid would have been ideal.

Covering one of the access holes turned out to be a non issue mounting the bumper. Popped the grill off and had good access to the bolts.
Just became a stocking dealer of Comeup Winches and will be making a solution for those in the very near future.

Icon suspension components arrived over the weekend, but FedEx mashed a box and lost a part in transit. Of course it was one of the first parts that needed to be installed, so the truck is still on axle stands. :crybaby:

Man, the laughs keep coming. Batteries should look like this when they arrive, right? Thought it was a little odd that a 65lb battery was in the shipment box upside down.
PXL_20201030_021625705.jpg

PXL_20201030_021712900.jpg

Just ordered the engine and transmission, which of course was out of stock and Chevy isn't taking back orders. Scoggin-Dickey is going to reach out to other dealers to see if they have what I'm looking for in stock, but aren't hopeful.

My money is on mid January for availability ... I guess we'll see.

Scheel-Manns went in over the weekend. REALLY impressed with how much more room they give in the driving position. At 6'5" I'm maybe 75% of the way back on the slider.
PXL_20201102_014034871.jpg

Wasn't sure I'd like the color. Didn't realize the brown was such a good match until I got them installed.

Planted brackets fit flawlessly and with the addition of the Sheel-Mann bolt pattern when I ordered there was no drilling or modification required.

Front suspension finally on.

PXL_20201103_011726281.MP.jpg

Threw the wheels back on and went to move the truck so I can work on the rear. No front drive shaft so I put it in low to lock the center diff ...no ABS light, no locked diff and one pretty hot viscous coupling by the time I got the truck back up the driveway.

View attachment 2484796

Threw the wheels back on and went to move the truck so I can work on the rear. No front drive shaft so I put it in low to lock the center diff ...no ABS light, no locked diff and one pretty hot viscous coupling by the time I got the truck back up the driveway.
I’d paint those TREs.

I’d paint those TREs.
Yeah, planning too. I have a bunch of other paint to slap on with the rear diff and didn't want to open the can of POR-15 more often than necessary. Saves the swearing when I weld another can shut with POR-15 dried in the can lip.

Replacement battery arrived from Odyssey. Took almost 2 weeks and required multiple calls to Odyssey and mails to the supplier. Not the most positive customer service experience I've ever had.

View attachment 2484796

What stage ICON set up is this? Just curious, didn't see where you mentioned it.

What stage ICON set up is this? Just curious, didn't see where you mentioned it.
It's actually the DVS kit: Delta Vehicle Systems - FJ/FZJ80/LX450 DVS+ICON "Full Kit" - I went with the adjustable RR shocks. Decided on this kit since I had planned to use Delta components to correct the ride and caster after the lift and this package had everything I was looking for.

Dave from @Delta VS was a great help with configuration following a visit to the shop in Idaho. I added a Dobinson's steering stabilizer and some spacers to the rear (heavy rear bumper and a big spare). Couldn't be happier with the quality.

Rear end is off and stripped, waiting for a dry(ish) day for paint. I set up the worlds most ridiculous sand blasting station in front of the house to prep with a horrible little siphon blaster. Ended up working about as well as you'd expect ... so I changed gears to a 4,000PSI pressure washer running off the hot water outlet from my water tank.

PXL_20201108_202026085.jpg

In my past I ran media blasters that consumed ~3,500lb of media an hour and 900 CFM. Don't think I'm ever going to live this fiasco down.

I’m thinking of going the same suspension setup with delta you have. Same bumpers and I have gone 4 door 2 seat coupe so a bit light in the rear. I know dave is a busy guy and don’t want to bother him too much but would like to know how level the cruiser sits with the 3” lift with adjustable shocks. That and how the caster sorts out when all put back together.
BTW, if your thinking the LS3 connect and cruise I think your going to have an issue with your 97'. They are made for 95' and older platforms. I don’t think it will work with your 97 and emissions unless WA is really relaxed on the emissions testing.

I’m thinking of going the same suspension setup with delta you have. Same bumpers and I have gone 4 door 2 seat coupe so a bit light in the rear. I know dave is a busy guy and don’t want to bother him too much but would like to know how level the cruiser sits with the 3” lift with adjustable shocks. That and how the caster sorts out when all put back together.
BTW, if your thinking the LS3 connect and cruise I think your going to have an issue with your 97'. They are made for 95' and older platforms. I don’t think it will work with your 97 and emissions unless WA is really relaxed on the emissions testing.
I'll post all of my numbers in January when the engine is in. Not a lot of point in checking until the weight is right on the front axle (swap should lighten the front by ~200lb).

I have a connect and cruise LT1 landing next week (not e-rod). WA state is pretty lax, TBH. Not expecting any significant emissions/ licensing challenges.

I'll post all of my numbers in January when the engine is in. Not a lot of point in checking until the weight is right on the front axle (swap should lighten the front by ~200lb).

I have a connect and cruise LT1 landing next week (not e-rod). WA state is pretty lax, TBH. Not expecting any significant emissions/ licensing challenges.
Do you mind sharing your notes on the swap? I too have a 97 and I am really interested in your engine/tranny choice. Well actually I just want your parts list. 😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom