Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And for the record, and to keep this somewhat Tech ... MTRs SUCK in the snow. They'll get you going forwards and they'll somewhat stop but they have ZERO lateral traction, so turning is a gamble and side hilling will make you need a fresh pair of shorts. Looking at buying a second set of tires and wheels for snow wheeling in the future if I decide it's something I want to keep messing with. Not really what the truck was built for and more pinstriping and damage potential than I'd like so it might be something I leave to dedicated trail rigs.

And for the record, and to keep this somewhat Tech ... MTRs SUCK in the snow. They'll get you going forwards and they'll somewhat stop but they have ZERO lateral traction, so turning is a gamble and side hilling will make you need a fresh pair of shorts. Looking at buying a second set of tires and wheels for snow wheeling in the future if I decide it's something I want to keep messing with. Not really what the truck was built for and more pinstriping and damage potential than I'd like so it might be something I leave to dedicated trail rigs.
I was going to ask how your MTRs performed in the snow. Thanks for the feedback; what tires & wheels are you considering? Aside from your tires did your 80 meet/exceed your expectations?

I was going to ask how your MTRs performed in the snow. Thanks for the feedback; what tires & wheels are you considering? Aside from your tires did your 80 meet/exceed your expectations?
Honestly the biggest changes I'll be making after this trip will be carrying additional chainsaw gas and bar oil. I carry a professional 66cc felling saw and even with that and an additional two saws from the other trucks it was slow going.

The 80 ran really well. I might look at changing how the cooling system works though. While I had no overheating problems, with the truck idling from time to time while we were clearing trees the fans only kick on when the coolant temp reaches 200, which means a lot of the time there's no airflow inside the engine compartment if the truck is stationary like you'd have with a mechanical fan. Even with the ambient temp at 22 degrees, my intake temp was regularly climbing to 150. Obviously not a problem in the snow, but probably an issue when it's 110 degrees outside in Moab.

I had some fender flare contact in the rear at full compression which I'll look in to. Not super worried, as the wheel will touch the DVS rear bumper before doing any real damage, I was just a little surprised. I'll drop the rear springs out and see where I am with the bump stops. Might be that going out with all the gear in the back squatted the truck more than I was expecting.

Not sure on tires and wheels. If it's a dedicated set of snow wheeling tires I'll grab some Irok radials, which are the gold standard for snow wheeling. I'd thought about cutting my MTRs, but I'm actually really happy with them on the pavement, they're apparently decent in the rocks and I have no vibrations up to 100MPH. Seems like I should leave that set up alone.

I'd like to run double bead locks so I can reliably run ~4psi. The Jeep I was with lost an inner bead once while we were out which we fixed no problem, but it'll always be an issue at super low pressure. Hutchinson Rock Monsters will work, but they're heavy. Going to keep looking to see if I can find others. I found a couple of small custom outfits making dual ring bead locks, but they were in the $1,200 range each and that's way out of the budget for a dedicated set up. If I can't find a good double bead lock that I like, the new Methods have their new bead grip retaining machining on the inner side of the rim, but jury is out on how much difference it really makes.

Some of the other guys had some decent pics of snow wheeling as well - Hard to take pictures when I'm driving. The blue jeep is running 40s, Tacoma is on 37s for scale.
270052021_4822027887819983_6048354963940541516_n.jpg

271190643_4822027987819973_6890733556318059948_n.jpg

271099228_4822028191153286_7385785241182580276_n.jpg

I may have put my foot in my mouth a bit tonight at the meeting, it came from a place of envy. Anyway. All due respect. This is an awesome build. To hear that exhaust note coming out of an LX450 is pretty amazing. If I had the cash laying around, I may not do it exactly like you did, but I would certainly consider almost everything. It was nice to meet you as well. Next on my list is to call that Toby guy down in Portland...
Meeting? psh...I just saw this...let me know if you guys get together again. I have seen this build in person and am super close to ordering a lift either from Dave or another source. Would be great to use the expertise from this group.

Meeting? psh...I just saw this...let me know if you guys get together again. I have seen this build in person and am super close to ordering a lift either from Dave or another source. Would be great to use the expertise from this group.
Seattle Cruiserheads FB group posts a monthly meeting; I believe the next one is 1/11 somewhere on the East Side. I'll be travelling out of state for this one, but there's usually a good handful of guys who show up.

This looks like it was both a good and bad outing. Good to be out in the woods, but bad from a time spent idling and chopping wood viewpoint. I think my truck would have been a hindrance with those conditions. I'm only on 285's. Perhaps someone who drives a mild 80 series could chime in with a higher vote of confidence, but I would have been dragging a lot of truck through the snow the whole time. Add a bunch of winching to what you guys already had to do, and I don't know how much more fun it would have been.

I was the weakest link on this one out with a group of dedicated snow wheelers looking for deep powder. I'm just glad I could hang with them, even if I couldn't break trail reliably. The trip I had planned the weekend prior was a lot more mild.

I'm actually pretty surprised no one ended up needing to be pulled out, even when the jeep blew a bead. The smallest vehicle there was a Cherokee on 35s, but they were running 4psi and heavily siped the tires. Made a massive difference. I also imagine he was 1,500lb+ lighter than me.

@Dusten Skills are relative. Only really one way to learn. Given the Lightning you drive I'm going to assume you're not a slouch or an idiot behind the wheel.

I was the weakest link on this one out with a group of dedicated snow wheelers looking for deep powder. I'm just glad I could hang with them, even if I couldn't break trail reliably. The trip I had planned the weekend prior was a lot more mild.

I'm actually pretty surprised no one ended up needing to be pulled out, even when the jeep blew a bead. The smallest vehicle there was a Cherokee on 35s, but they were running 4psi and heavily siped the tires. Made a massive difference. I also imagine he was 1,500lb+ lighter than me.

@Dusten Skills are relative. Only really one way to learn. Given the Lightning you drive I'm going to assume you're not a slouch or an idiot behind the wheel.

I am no slouch.
The truck has probably 100 legal passes and as many passes on the street.
I've also owned some pretty good handling rigs that I'll throw around a corner.

I wheeled many many moons ago. I am terrified of being stuck. I don't know why.

I was told a long time abo when I learned to ski that if you're not falling you're not learning. I apply the same logic to wheeling - if you're not getting stuck you're not learning. As long as you're with capable people you'll get out. Just avoid going with the drunk-with-guns crews that are out there tearing around and you'll be fine.

And buy a winch ... you could have had 4 of them for the price of your transmission :flipoff2:

I was told a long time abo when I learned to ski that if you're not falling you're not learning. I apply the same logic to wheeling - if you're not getting stuck you're not learning. As long as you're with capable people you'll get out. Just avoid going with the drunk-with-guns crews that are out there tearing around and you'll be fine.

And buy a winch ... you could have had 4 of them for the price of your transmission :flipoff2:

Well if I hadn't spent 6200 on a transmission I'd have had my bumper built and a winch...

And I am almost always alone. I have no friends who wheel.

I have friends with 8-9 second mustangs. Not wheelers.

Well if I hadn't spent 6200 on a transmission I'd have had my bumper built and a winch...

And I am almost always alone. I have no friends who wheel.

I have friends with 8-9 second mustangs. Not wheelers.
Plenty of people around the PNW to wheel with. Hell, if I'm finding people to put up with me it can't be that hard.

Plenty of people around the PNW to wheel with. Hell, if I'm finding people to put up with me it can't be that hard.

I don't doubt that. My point was more that crowds I've ran with for the last decade don't. And as I'm just getting back into it, it's a slow process.
Especially since my piece of s*** never runs.

I don't doubt that. My point was more that crowds I've ran with for the last decade don't. And as I'm just getting back into it, it's a slow process.
Especially since my piece of s*** never runs.
By the time you've got your JDM fixed I'll have moved on to a buggy because I'm jealous of people wheeling past me. I might need to sell a kidney or two first though to pay the bill.

By the time you've got your JDM fixed I'll have moved on to a buggy because I'm jealous of people wheeling past me. I might need to sell a kidney or two first though to pay the bill.

Thats why I stopped. I was wheeling with guys that all moved on. I didn't have the space or fab skills for a dedicated wheeler. I like cars I can drive and do other s*** with.
My lightning is daily driver reliable. And will haze the back tires at 50 mph

Hmm, studded tires on an 8 second car???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom