SAS SAS #8 Official Page 08/05/2024-08/09/2024 (7 Viewers)

Vote for this years color for shirts and trail flags

• • Sky Blue

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • • Pollux Orange (vote for this please)

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • • Capri Blue

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey folks! I have 2 spots open for a rig with small tent or RTT’s in KOA. If you’re looking to save some money. I’m just asking the straight 1/3 of the rental. Lot 47 fairly close to the bath house.
Ok folks, I now have 1 spot available if you’re looking to group together. We have a backing RV site near the restrooms. I am in a 40 with a tent cot. And now Willy with an 80 and an RTT. Please reach out to me via PM if you’re interested.

I think Jeff is probably hunkered down today. Got a snow squal that came into Ouray today.
20240227_112541.jpg

I’ve totally missed this thread and I see a few familiar faces on the list. If I am in the area I might see about connecting. Send me a message if anyone is planning to take a trip over Stony Pass. I might be down for a hamburger at Freeman’s General Store. 😉

Here are a few pictures of us from the early 2000’s around the July/August timeframe. Have a wonderful trip!

031_Original.jpeg

scan0009_Original.jpeg

I’ve totally missed this thread and I see a few familiar faces on the list. If I am in the area I might see about connecting. Send me a message if anyone is planning to take a trip over Stony Pass. I might be down for a hamburger at Freeman’s General Store. 😉

Here are a few pictures of us from the early 2000’s around the July/August timeframe. Have a wonderful trip!

View attachment 3569128

View attachment 3569129
That raised top troopy is sweet. Is there a build thread or more info on it? I’d love to know more.

That raised top troopy is sweet. Is there a build thread or more info on it? I’d love to know more.
A build thread. Ha! It was built in the late 80’s/early 90’s around the time that AOL was going door to door getting people to sign up for chat rooms. My friend Josh brought it over from Australia and restored it here in Colorado. It went through a few builds, finally settling on a 5.7l TBI and H55f/splitcase, A/C, etc. He sold it after a long time in storage while he moved back to Oz for the second time. You should see the LX that he returned with, though he sold that, too. If he ever goes back I think that he needs to return with a few dozen of these.

A build thread. Ha! It was built in the late 80’s/early 90’s around the time that AOL was going door to door getting people to sign up for chat rooms. My friend Josh brought it over from Australia and restored it here in Colorado. It went through a few builds, finally settling on a 5.7l TBI and H55f/splitcase, A/C, etc. He sold it after a long time in storage while he moved back to Oz for the second time. You should see the LX that he returned with, though he sold that, too. If he ever goes back I think that he needs to return with a few dozen of these.
Thanks for sharing. Figured it was a long shot as you said “80’s” and those were obviously film photos.

Yeah, if he could stash a troopy in his carry on for me the next time comes back that’d be great 😉.

That water crossing is crazy.

Those are super cool. Thanks @Mike Shull

That water crossing is crazy.

Those are super cool. Thanks @Mike Shull
That is Pole Creek near the top of Stony Pass and it is part of the headwaters to the Rio Grande. It gets deeper in June/July. Impassable deep. Our cabin is on the other side of this valley.

That is Pole Creek near the top of Stony Pass and it is part of the headwaters to the Rio Grande. It gets deeper in June/July. Impassable deep. Our cabin is on the other side of this valley.

I was considering taking Stoney Pass into Silverton and then to Ouray on the way to SAS8 in early August. Is the terrain still such that there's deep water? It's been 20-30 years since that photo has been taken so maybe things have changed. I would hate to get all the way up there, then have to turn around, go to Durango, and come up 550.

I think @Rockymtnreaper was talking about thru-hiking to Stoney Pass from Pagosa Springs so I could give him a ride to Ouray. I really want this plan to work.

It’s still deep @CruiserTrash, and how deep will really depend on the snow pack and spring/summer rain. I’d bet that you will be good to go as it’s normally passable at that time of year unless there is a lot of rain.

Here is a picture from our back camera showing the snowpack—it’s not very deep. Those drifts are normally over the well house by now and the snow on the bank is usually 3-4 times the depth. The past 3-5 years have been light in this valley, which is right along the Colorado Trail, which I imagine is the trail that your friend is hiking.

IMG_0962.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom