Sandy the Tan FJ60 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent today using my new pressure washer hose and tips to clean out the inside of the frame. Seems the truck had a fight with a mudpit at some point in its life and lost. Sticking my finger in the frame revealed 1/2" of sand/mud etc inside the back half of the frame.

The tip I used spins freely and shoots water in a cone pattern backwads. I fed the hose from the back of the frame all the way to the front and cleaned it front to back.
IMG_9318.JPG

The result.. lots of mud, rocks, etc.
IMG_9306.JPG

The plan is to let the truck air out for a few days and dry and then do some internal frame coating to keep it decent going forward.

I also replaced the wiper linkage since my wipers had a TON of play in them. Basically useless in the rain. This is the amount of play before the linkage tightened up.
IMG_9311.JPG

New parts. PN: 85160-90A07
IMG_9312.JPG

Took the time to put the new 4runner wiper arms in with new nuts and covers. Linkage is nice and tight now! Wipers cycle beautifully and will be more more confidence inspiring in the rain.
IMG_9317.JPG

Also replaced a front side marker that was toast.
IMG_9288.JPG

IMG_9289.JPG

Where did you get the reverse free spin tip?

Where did you get the reverse free spin tip?

I bought this. Comes with a few different tips. Worked great! You’re welcome to borrow it.

Sooprinse High Pressure Washer Sewer Jetter Kit, Button Nozzle and Rotating Sewer Jetting Nozzle, Pressure Washer Sewer Washer Kit, 50FT Drain Cleaning Hose, 3000 PSI Amazon product ASIN B08TZW7TB2

Last edited:
Hi all,

Let me set the stage for you all. It all started way way back in January 2021 when my brother, @Hokierig , asked if I wanted to go to SAS#5 with him in Ouray, CO. I'm always up for a Cruiser trip but we had to take his FJ62 since I only had my 100 series at the time. After an amazing week wrenching, wheeling, sightseeing, and meeting new friends (most of whom had 60's), I left that week with a burning desire for a 60 series and told the new guys I'd met there that I would buy one soon enough. The search began for a 60 that was relatively rust free, able to be wheeled without feeling bad about dinging a panel, yet mechanically sound enough to hit the road at a moment's notice. Given my current work from home job, I also wanted something that needed some love so that I had something to tinker with over the winter.

Well, I made good on my promise. I found a great truck here on MUD of all places and PM'd the owner. He gave me what turned out to be a very honest representation of the truck which is always appreciated.

Now the tough part, I was in NC, the truck was in TX. After thinking about it overnight, we agreed on a price and I started working on how to get the truck home. It had been a deer lease truck for the past 10 years and had less than 5000 miles put on it during that time so it's driveability over the 1500 mile journey was anyone's guess. My brother and I had just done a similar trip with his newly purchased 80 series (Hokierig's hokie 1993 FZJ80 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hokierigs-hokie-1993-fzj80.1264190/) where we took a truck that had sat, wrenched on it a bit, and then set out on a 1300 mile trip back where we had a blast but also felt like stars in a Roadkill episode. Given the recent trip in his 80, I had some favors saved up and we decided to book some tickets after the Thanksgiving holiday and flew to TX with the plan of driving back the new-to-me 60 series.

We landed in TX, checked out the truck and completed the deal. The frame was amazingly clean and c-channels were intact and damn near perfect. The body on the other hand had some roof rot and interior needed a few good rounds of cleaning mud and dirt out of it. However, I was confident it would clean up nicely. Having detailed for many years in a past life, I was willing and able to take on the challenge.

From there, we set our sights on Houston, TX to go visit some friends from SAS (@HemiAlex and @js0k). Truck drove great all the way to Houston with no hiccups or issues. We spent the night and the next day, got our first look at the truck in daylight. We did some minor baselining and attempted to improve the questionable clutch pedal then hit the road headed towards NC.

View attachment 2857558

View attachment 2857572

Truck ran great that first day as we logged 600 miles to Meridian, MS. Along the way we babied the inconsistent clutch pedal, an alternator that didn't like to charge at idle/low rpm's, and worked on our case for a sponsorship from Love's (or any gas station for that matter). Truck was happy the entire day cruising 65-70mph getting ~12mpg.
View attachment 2857563
View attachment 2857564

We hit the road the next morning with plans to make it back to NC that day. Truck ran great all day with no new issues and happily cruising at highway speeds making sure to check out the local gas stations every ~200 miles. Around 8pm, roughly 60 miles from home, we started talking about the trip and how surprised we were that the truck had driven so well on the long trip. Well, seems we counted our blessings a little too early...

Overall, we made it ~1450 miles out of the ~1500 miles required to get back home on our trip. WE WERE SO CLOSE!

I was filling up the tank, having nursed a dying alternator/battery for a few hours now, and the slave cylinder finally lost all hydraulic pressure. Seal was toast and fluid was gone. I bumped the poor truck away from the gas pump and headed for a parking spot out of the way to diagnose and work on a plan to patch her up. Went to back it into the spot and there wasn't enough juice left to bump it. At which point, with parts stores closed, no uhaul with a car trailer handy, and not wanting to spend another night on the road, I got to put my AAA coverage to the test that I had acquired only 48 hours earlier once I had officially taken possession of the truck. We got picked up and, thanks to our AAA driver attempting to break the set the land speed record for a flatbed carrying a FJ60, we were home in record time.

View attachment 2857568

Now she's home and parts are stockpiling to get her baselined. New clutch slave and master were already on order as well as a new alternator before we even got home.
View attachment 2857569

Plans for the truck are to handle the rust and make it mechanically sound and reliable enough to grab the keys and hit the road anywhere at a moment's notice. It will get used for some wheeling, some trips, and some daily duty as well just for fun. First step in that plan is to go through all the core systems.

That's a helluva nice rig for being a deer camp truck....where was it?

Congrats!

That's a helluva nice rig for being a deer camp truck....where was it?

Congrats!

Thank you! I found it in the Mud classifieds. It was just north of Austin. You can definitely tell it was a farm/deer truck but it has good bones. Strong truck with good bones.

Waiting on a few parts before I can start on the next round of work on the truck. While I'm waiting I've been driving the truck and put about 300 miles on it the last week or two. The difference in road manners with the new pizza cutter tires and the difference in road noise with the insulation and carpet is drastic! Removing a couple leafs from the back also helped a lot with ride comfort.

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9227.JPG

IMG_9330.JPG

Took the truck out for a drive this morning in the snow. Having lived in Buffalo, NY for a few years, I do miss waking up to multiple feet of snow but for now this will have to do.

On another note, I replaced all of the front leaf bushings once I found out that half of them were disintegrated. This got rid of the cruiser lean! Truck is within 0.1" fender to ground on both front sides which makes me happy.

IMG_9342.JPG

IMG_9344.jpg
IMG_9340.JPG

@Hokie LX - so the pizza cutter wheel are nicer on the road? They look awesome but confused since I always thought wider tires grin more. Maybe the difference in sideways?

Also any idea what the story is with the rear bumper? If that’s a diy by PO that’s impressive. Been watching a lot of videos on diy swingout s lately but haven’t gotten off the couch.

Loving everything about this truck and all the good mods you’ve been doing.

I swapped out my DS rear bottoms for a PS one and have never looked back, foam and cover seem brand new.

@Hokie LX - so the pizza cutter wheel are nicer on the road? They look awesome but confused since I always thought wider tires grin more. Maybe the difference in sideways?

Also any idea what the story is with the rear bumper? If that’s a diy by PO that’s impressive. Been watching a lot of videos on diy swingout s lately but haven’t gotten off the couch.

Loving everything about this truck and all the good mods you’ve been doing.

I swapped out my DS rear bottoms for a PS one and have never looked back, foam and cover seem brand new.

The idea with skinny's for me was the truck drives much nicer with a skinnier tire. The 12.5 and above tires go all over the road, tend to weigh more, and I just don't like the look of them on these classic trucks. The skinny's driver nicer, track better, and tend to weigh less which helps with overall driveability/power delivery.

The skinny's in snow help to dig into the snow for traction vs float on top. I lived in Buffalo for a while and had both on various trucks over the years, definitely prefer skinny's in light and heavy snow.

Thanks for the compliments on the truck! I've enjoyed the project so far and have a lot more coming.

The bumper is a DIY by the PO before the owner I bought it from. I'll take some more pics of it at some point.

Added a nice driveability item today. Windshield washer!

The factory one was completely missing when I bought the truck and all that was left was a couple of pieces of crusty dry rotted tube. New Toyota reservoir, new motor, all new lines and connectors. Works great!

IMG_9368.JPG

Where did you find the motor?

I got it on RockAuto. Factory ones are NLA.

Love this thread. I was looking at this truck, it was close to home and it was a solid deal. SO glad to see it getting this much love. Great work!

Thank you! The truck is getting a lot of love and lots more on the way.

Driving through the snow didn't help with my plan to prep the chassis for cleaning and undercoating so I took advantage of the warm weather yesterday to clean it up. Did an underbody cleaning and also gave her a bath. We're back to colder temps now so waiting for the 50*+ days next week before starting on the undercoating.

IMG_9374.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

The ride height experimentation continues. I ordered some stock height shackles for the rear to replace the 6" shackles that were on the truck when I bought it.

Again, the rear bushings were toast.
IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_9381.JPG

I put in new bushings throughout the rear as well as new shackles and pins since the stockers were eaten up from corrosion. I'll replace the front shackles and pins in the coming days.
fullsizeoutput_20c6.jpeg

New vs. old rear shackle.
IMG_9380.JPG

Results. The snow picture was a few days ago with the 6" rear shackles and shot bushings. Bottom pic is the new stock height 3.5" shackles and new bushings. With the old shackles, you can barely see that the shackle angle was about 10* from vertical. The new shackles are ~30* from vertical and ride quality is noticeable softer. When I get my drawers put in, I may be replacing one of the leafs I took out.

Truck is now level front to back and left to right! Big win in my book.

EA6429D3-8828-4210-BF42-A213CA91367B.JPG

Nice! Such a great save/rescue on this truck. Grease those spring pins.

PSA…if the bushings ever deteriorate like that with greasable shackle pins in, the bushing debris material will pack and clog the grease ports on the pins. All my greasable pins were clogged when the OME bushings crumbled away. Had to use some thin wire to clean the pin holes out, and flush new grease via the grease gun on the bench.

Your photo reminded me of my crumbled bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom