Sandy the Tan FJ60 (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yd8fRL0.jpeg

Still waiting on parts to arrive so started prepping for the sound insulation and new carpet. The truck didn't come with any wheel well/3rd row carpet so the carpet kit will fix that. The factory tar backed insulation had already been failing and was a mess.It looked like someone had tried to remove it but left behind all of the tar residue.

Going to spray the cargo area floor with some rust converter on any surface spots prior to putting the sound deadening in.

Before:
IMG_8891.JPG

I used dry ice, a plastic scraper, and a hammer to get to this point.
66103318958__7D252E02-30C5-4371-9C74-6296F9D7F0EE.JPG

Then some Stoner's Tarminator to get here.
IMG_8912.JPG

Last edited:
Still waiting on parts to arrive so started prepping for the sound insulation and new carpet. The truck didn't come with any wheel well/3rd row carpet so the carpet kit will fix that. The factory tar backed insulation had already been failing and was a mess.It looked like someone had tried to remove it but left behind all of the tar residue.

Going to spray the cargo area floor with some rust converter on any surface spots prior to putting the sound deadening in.

Before:
View attachment 2863253

I used dry ice, a plastic scraper, and a hammer to get to this point.
View attachment 2863254

Then some Stoner's Tarminator to get here.
View attachment 2863255
Looks good...I used the foil backed sound deadener with a layer of jute on top in the front to further insulate. I took pics and posted on the DNP carpet thread. Will look nice.

Looks good...I used the foil backed sound deadener with a layer of jute on top in the front to further insulate. I took pics and posted on the DNP carpet thread. Will look nice.

I'm also planning to use foil backed sound deadener 80mil under my new DNP carpet. Have 3 boxes of it sitting in my garage currently waiting to go in.

If the other factory sound deadening panels look decent in the second and 1st rows, I'll likely leave them in and use the new stuff overtop.

I'm also planning to use foil backed sound deadener 80mil under my new DNP carpet. Have 3 boxes of it sitting in my garage currently waiting to go in.

If the other factory sound deadening panels look decent in the second and 1st rows, I'll likely leave them in and use the new stuff overtop.
I didnt bother taking all that factory stuff out. I didnt have any rust and just cleaned all the jute out with a wire wheel and went over it. I figured the more the merrier. Didnt effect the carpet install.

I didnt bother taking all that factory stuff out. I didnt have any rust and just cleaned all the jute out with a wire wheel and went over it. I figured the more the merrier. Didnt effect the carpet install.

I had hoped to leave it in place but the state of it triggered my inner detailer and I had to clean it up. Will make for a clean install of the new materials!

Couple more things done today while killing time before dinner. Finally got a picture of the new headlights. I removed the cracked and water logged ARB turn signals and am debating whether I replace them with new ones or try and retrofit something else in that spot. The seals had long since failed which seems common. Search hasn't yielded many good options for retrofits.
IMG_8929.JPG

Reverted the truck back to "fish bowl" mode by removing the mismatched window tint. Both layers...
IMG_8931.JPG
IMG_8932.JPG

I had trouble getting the seatbelts to retract nicely so I gave them a quick wash with the pressure washer. Hopefully it'll help. 37 years worth of grime came out of them.
IMG_8933.JPG

Send the seat belts to seat belt planet and have them fixed up.

Don’t try and take them apart. I did it with my rear seat belts. Huge mistake. They exploded on me. Once the clock spring comes apart they are done for.

Nice work.

I am still in the collecting parts phase for mine.

I have been wanting to modify the lights on my F250 ARB bumper. Currently mine are tapped into the blinkers but I have been wanting to cut the opening and welding some tabs to mount some fancy amber driving lights.

Nice work.

I am still in the collecting parts phase for mine.

I have been wanting to modify the lights on my F250 ARB bumper. Currently mine are tapped into the blinkers but I have been wanting to cut the opening and welding some tabs to mount some fancy amber driving lights.
I'm just having trouble finding good options for retrofit lights that fit the awkward size holes in the ARB bumper.

Couple teasers from the big order I picked up from the dealer today. Getting to know the guys in the parts department really well! Still waiting on the side markers to show up. The holiday sale going on at most dealers got me a KILLER price on the PS pump which I needed since mine is leaking badly.

IMG_8936.jpg

IMG_8937.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8940.jpg

Couple teasers from the big order I picked up from the dealer today. Getting to know the guys in the parts department really well! Still waiting on the side markers to show up. The holiday sale going on at most dealers got me a KILLER price on the PS pump which I needed since mine is leaking badly.

View attachment 2865061
View attachment 2865062
View attachment 2865063

View attachment 2865064
OMG that hood insulator may be the most satisfying part to snap in....I can only liken it to pulling off the film on the screen of a new electronic. enjoy!!

I admit, the whole “buying parts to have on hand for when I need them” may have gone a bit too far. But nonetheless, now I have a rust free piece that I can decide how to utilize to fix the couple areas of my roof. Still need to do more research to decide if I want to cut and patch or do a swap.

A2302823-0754-4CF1-91B0-59DA844644E9.jpeg

Bonus points, prop it up over your deck and you've got shade!

Walked out to the garage this morning and noted the driver rear inner tire was wet. 🙄

Went ahead and did the rear brake rebuild on both sides with new cylinders, pads, and hardware. My first time doing drum brakes. Noted that I need to tighten up the pads since the e-brake is still loose. That’ll be tomorrows project.

CB33A17A-77CF-4247-9F25-C277DD12CD2F.jpeg

Spent some time today digging into the cooling system now that all of my parts are here that I ordered. Cooling system was top of the list of things to fix after the clutch was fixed. It had developed a few leaks during our trip home and so the truck has sat since it got home until I can get the whole cooling system replaced. The truck has a CSF radiator from 2019 which was installed so that will stay.

I found the pinhole leak in the smallest coolant hose which a previous shop installed some random tubing which swelled when the coolant got hot. Seems it would swell to the point where the AC compressor belt would rub it and then it wore through.

Lots of random hose clamps and hoses were used in the previous cooling system refresh. Lots of leaks. It will all get replaced with OEM hardware and hoses.
fullsizeoutput_20c4.jpeg

Parts on deck. 3FE fan clutch going in as well.

fullsizeoutput_20c1.jpeg

IMG_8962.JPG

I'll be replacing the PS pump as well while I have the space open and doing a LOT of cleaning from the leaking PS pump which has caused a lot of build up in the engine bay.
IMG_8972.JPG

IMG_8967.JPG

Throw a 3/8” magnefine filter on the low pressure power steering hose while you’re there.

It will really help protect that new pump from the old steering box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom